A helpful script for Unity developers!

I’ve been an advanced Unity C# scripter for years now, and when I started scripting in High Fidelity I tried to relate things to how I would do them in Unity… and still do.

So I thought a script that relates how the scripts are laid out in C# would be useful for some folks. I wanted to focus on my most used functions, like Start(), Update(), coroutines, input methods, and collisions.

//  unityScriptStructure.js
//
//  Created by Alexia Mandeville on 3 May 2018
//  Copyright 2018 High Fidelity, Inc.
//
//  A script for people familiar with Unity's methods to get started in High Fidelity
//  Throughout the script I write about 'Entities' - think of these as 'GameObjects'
//  This script would be attached to an entity, just like how you would add a script to a gameObject in the hierarchy
//  You might also want to check out our Unity to High Fidelity exporter! https://github.com/highfidelity/unity-to-hifi-exporter
//
//  High Fidelity docs: https://docs.highfidelity.com/
//
//  Distributed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
//  See the accompanying file LICENSE or http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

(function() { // For entity scripts, we wrap it in an anon function

/*  Start() (kind of) */

this.preload = function(entityID) { // This runs the first time an avatar encounters the entity over the network
        print("start" + entityID);
    };

/*  Update() */

function update() { // This runs update at a rate of 60hz, but isn't synced on a frame
        print("update");
    }
    Script.update.connect(update);

/*  Input.GetKeyDown() */

Controller.keyPressEvent.connect(function (event) { // Do something on key input

if (event.text === "x") {
            print(JSON.stringify(event.text));
        }

});

/*  Input.GetMouseButtonDown() */

Controller.mousePressEvent.connect(function (event) { // Do something on mousepress (any button)
        print(JSON.stringify(event));
    });

/*  Coroutines */

/*
    var coroutine = Script.setInterval(function() { // This acts like 'yield return new WaitForSeconds(1)' does in a coroutine
      print("coroutine");
    }, 1000); //ms

/*  Stop the coroutine */
    // Script.clearInterval(coroutine);

/*  OnCollisionEnter() */

MyAvatar.collisionWithEntity.connect(function (collision) { // Do something when my avatar collides with an entity
        print("Your avatar collided with an entity.");
    });

this.collisionWithEntity = function (myID, otherID, collision) { // When another object collides with this object
        print("Collision of " + myID + " and " + otherID);    
    };

/*  Instantiate() */

/*
    var entityID = Entities.addEntity({
      type: "Box",
      position: Vec3.sum(MyAvatar.position, Vec3.multiplyQbyV(MyAvatar.orientation, { x: 0, y: 0, z: -5 })),
      dimensions: { x: 0.5, y: 0.5, z: 0.5 },
      color: { red: 128, green: 128, blue: 128 },
      gravity: { x: 0, y: -9.8, z: 0 },
      velocity: { x: 0, y: 0.1, z: 0 },  // Kick off physics.
      dynamic: true,
      collisionless: false,  // So that collision events are generated.
      script: "(" + entityScript + ")",  // Could host the script on a Web server instead.
      lifetime: 300  // Delete after 5 minutes.
    });
    */

});

What does everyone think? Anything that should be added?

Script source: http://hifi-content.s3.amazonaws.com/alexia/unityScriptStructure.js

Update also has a deltatime variable available, which is the first value in the callback.

function update (x) { console.log ("Called every frame until disconnected  @", x, "ms"); }

But I would warn in comments to never bind an empty Script.update.connect because that will called always after the script is loaded, and unlike in unity each is callback are a bit more costlyer. It should be commented out by default, otherwise those who just copy and use the script as templates will spread too many scripts with update by default empty.

Another thing that needs to be written is the unloading of the callbacks. There needs to be a Script.scriptEnding.connect function that disconnects all the connected callbacks . Otherwise even if the script is stopped / entity is deleted, the memory reference still runs in the background and the callbacks get called and require any active users to relog So that full example would be

function update (dt) { console.log ("Called every frame until disconnected @", dt, "ms"); }

function onEnding () {
  Script.update.disconnect(update);
  // And Other Bindings here
}
Script.scriptEnding.connect(onEnding);

There should also be examples for the other types of scripts.

Additional notes I made a few years ago, (that I need to update):

You also have interaction functions called by the grab scripts: this includes everything from farGrab, nearGrab, triggers, equips etc, and then there being the mouse events.

I’ve updated the script with your feedback. I really appreciate it. Your “Beyond the Wall…” post is very helpful.