A little overwhelmed

I’ve run an opensim and I used mySQL to store all my objects, etc… so I’m wondering what the structure inside High-Fidelity is, what do you call things? LOL, I’m sorry, it’s just a bit confusing.

When installing High-fi, the first step I don’t understand is “Setup directory to store your high fidelity stack binaries and copy them over from build directory”

What are high fidelity stack binaries? How are they stored? Is there an “in-house” database server with High Fidelity?

With this line: “cp -R domain-server/domain-server domain-server/resources ~/hifi-bin” (I’m still upgrading my server to 16.04, so I haven’t tried installing yet) is “domain-server” my actual domain name, or does that just stay “domain-server”? I know these are pretty stupid questions… but I’d like to learn.

Finally, the last steps have you “set up home content” is that simply installing the tutorial world setup with the little foot steps?

when starting my server, is the max - 10 the number of people who can enter at any time?

Finally, is there a place so I can see how all this is organized, and how to protect my content? I’m diving in the deep end with this, and have virtually no experience with high fi except to install on my desktop. I guess I’d need to know how to lock my door until I am ready to receive visitors, LOL :smiley: Thanks so much for any help.

Terrifying innit lol
Installing hifi you install the sandbox this your own SIM what we call a domain
This has the atp built into it. Asset transfer protocol. Which is a place to store models.
When the sandbox is set up u get a temporary randomly generated name
The easiest way to get to your sandbox is right clicking the H icon in the tray near the clock and choosing go home

Thank you for your help, acronyms can throw me off so easily, LOL. OK, so are all my assets installed in windows (not up on my ubuntu yet, having trouble upgrading 14.04 to 16.04) in appdata\Roaming\High Fidelity\assignment-client\assets\files ? Are these all encrypted files? They all seem to have a hex number for a name, which I’m guessing is assigned when they’re imported? Is that what I’m seeing? LOL (I’m probably clueless) I’m just also really wondering how one protects their self made assets?

Is the file that tells the server what items are where , etc… in the \assignment-client\assets\map file?

Again, thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I’ve run an opensim and I used mySQL to store all my objects, etc… so I’m wondering what the structure inside High-Fidelity is, what do you call things? LOL, I’m sorry, it’s just a bit confusing.

things are referred to as “Entities”

There is a folder that stores the hashed values of the Entitys (objects) and its referenced from a file called map.json these are typicaly found in $HOME/.local/share/High Fidelity

When installing High-fi, the first step I don’t understand is “Setup directory to store your high fidelity stack binaries and copy them over from build directory”
You are creating a directory to build your files to, to compile them. Once they are compiled you will want to move them to a live / production dir

What are high fidelity stack binaries?
The built from source files for the 6 main components of the stack

asset-server // this is the piece of software that servers the assets, files, scripts etc.
audio-mixer // this mixes everyone's audio stream together and other fancy stuff.
avatar-mixer // this is where all the avatar attachments and location data and the such is taken care of
entity-script-server // this server handles scripts that have been put into the entity sever script field on an entity.
entity-server // this keeps track of all the entities on a server 
messages-mixer // this is a service for sending messages to a specific channel. sorta like socket io.

How are they stored?
Everything that is uploaded to the ATP the name gets hashed and sthe object stored in a folder. there is a file called map.json that maps the name to the file.

Is there an “in-house” database server with High Fidelity?
Someone else might know more on this, but typical I see most things stored as flat file with JSON as the format.

With this line: “cp -R domain-server/domain-server domain-server/resources ~/hifi-bin” (I’m still upgrading my server to 16.04, so I haven’t tried installing yet) is “domain-server” my actual domain name, or does that just stay “domain-server”? I know these are pretty stupid questions… but I’d like to learn.
this command is a shell command its telling the *nix host to to copy the entire directory recursively from “domain-server/domain-server” “domain-server/resources” into “~/hifi-bin”. ~ is another way of saying $HOME.

Finally, the last steps have you “set up home content” is that simply installing the tutorial world setup with the little foot steps?
This might be specific to a “sand box” (prepackaged server on windows) install. Something you can do is once you are in world you can load a new content set into your server from the marketplace, do note you need to give your account proper permissions.

when starting my server, is the max - 10 the number of people who can enter at any time?
yes, you can set this to what ever number you like, but there are many many limiting factors on how many people can really be on your server. This number is just a cutoff typical used to make sure your server can handle that specified number

Finally, is there a place so I can see how all this is organized, and how to protect my content?

Right now one of the best ways to ensure your contents safety as best you can is to use the local atp server. High Fidelity is in the middle of roling out (its in a closed beta) commerce which includes content protection based on a Blockchain.

I’m diving in the deep end with this, and have virtually no experience with high fi except to install on my desktop. I guess I’d need to know how to lock my door until I am ready to receive visitors, LOL :smiley: Thanks so much for any help.
everyone starts somewhere

That was a huge gigantic help, thank you so much @Midnight and you too, @Judas!