AMD brings affordable VR to everyone $199 - Nvidia offers A better Solution with the GTX 1070 for VR

Lowing the hardware costs is half the battle for most, a majority of people cannot afford a $700 dollar card.

This is how AMD will democratize access to virtual reality.

Bump.
This looks promising. Does anyone know if this will work for us?

Seems to be a cost saver if it will run a HMD.

Can’t really see how it couldn’t work for us (do you mean technologically? or in drawing people to HiFi?), but then I’m not really a tech guy. It does tempt me, though. I might actually get one of those cards when they come out, simply because I know I’m gonna need a better card than the one I have now, just basically in general, and not purely due to VR goggles. In fact, unless someone comes out with VR goggles of a similar price to this, I probably won’t be getting VR goggles for a couple more years at least. But yeah, that card tempts me.

According to latest information RX480 looks as minimal hardware for VR: “right now and right here without future”. Thus this videocard is the best choice for cheapest upgrade from Radeon R9 270/370 and GeForce GTX 960, and probably 970. But not from more powerful cards. MGPU with Vulkan can solve the problem: you just need to buy two or more videocards. However, currently there is no games with MGPU support except of a few Vulkan and Direct 3D 12 titels such as Ashes of Singularity and The Talos Principle (if someone did not play The Talos Principle - i strongly recommend this game). SLI and CrossFire will also not help (both of these technologies are obsolete due to MGPU from Vulkan). Its better to wait for AMD Vega and/or GTX1080Ti.

AMD’s Radeon RX480 GPU is VR ready for just $199 just as the title proclaims with your suggestion of Vega or GTX1080 Ti is moot at best . your suggesting $700 to $900 dollar cards top end cards . The RX 480 is more powerful then a R9 390 or a GTX 980 both already VR Ready . Now you do not need to crossfire 2 cards for VR .the card itself has the performance of '8 ’ R9 270s cards . a good compromise if you do not like the brand then is the Nvidia GTX 1070 if you can wait 5 or 6 more months for the cards to come down to the suggested retail price of $379. RX 480 or GTX 1070 is the price range 80% are willing or can afford to spend .

Affordable is important it. thus allowing the buyer to invest in other needed hardware that this platform requires for the most immersive experience .The GPU that you are suggesting will require at least another 1500 to 2000 dollars in hardware.no one is going to buy a 1080 Ti backed up by an i3 on a B150 motherboard in a 50 dollar case. NO they are going to buy the best parts to match it .your suggesting to use high fidelity your going to need a $2500 dollar PC . well if so good luck with that! on top of the costs for external Haptic interfaces and controllers.

Kittens knows her hardware & awaits your reply.

The problem with VR is you really need best hardware. RX480 is low budget solution with performance between GTX970 and GTX980. I would not buy this videocard for VR as single videocard. May be drivers wll solve performance issues in future.

GTX1070 is not good for VR too because 1/4 of ROP’s are disabled. GTX970 is 3.5 + 0.5 Gb VRAM whereas GTX1070 is 6 + 2 Gb VRAM.

Today right choice for VR is only a top videocard or several videocards in MGPU mode.

Reduction in cost of hardware now is ridiculous because VR kits are not cheap.

The GPU that you are suggesting will require at least another 1500 to 2000 dollars in hardware.

Two RX480 has much less price than 1500 USD. But you need MGPU support for this. AMD Vega will be cheaper than 1500 USD too. At the other hand those who has enough money dont care about price.

My current hardware is:
AMD FX8350
Radeon R9 280X 3Gb
16Gb DDR3

The only thing i need to upgrade for VR is videocard. The Lab works fine, Portal Stories: VR works properly too, most of VR experiences works great… And Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR causes motion sickness due to very low FPS. The Gallery: Call of Starseed shows low FPS with Radeon R9 290X 4Gb (my friend tried to play this game). All of games mentioned above was tested with HTC Vive. Perforance of RX480 comparable wth R9 390 (which is not much more faster than R9 290X). I dont think RX480 will hold acceptable performance with new VR titles for a long time.

In case of VR Metaverse such as High Fidelity situation is much worse because metaverse of this kind means user generated content. Developer cant control amount and level of detail for full featured user generated content. Thus for serious VR it is necessary to have the best hardware. And RX480 in not the best in nearest future.

I strongly disagree in many ways . the cards offer a bridge until Navi & Volta is released in 2018 again any Vega card or 1080 Ti will require high end parts . both cards are 4000+ stream processors they will not be under 700 dollars your going to need a motherboard that can handle that kind of stress . A CPU powerful enough not to bottleneck the GPU . A power supply that can repeatedly supply high voltage . Overclocked DDR4 at a minimum of 3600 .your going to need a fast SSD to keep up with it . high end parts for a high end GPU .

Yes you can put an 800 dollar GPU in a cracker jack box but your going to find yourself one of the few that would waste money in that kind of effort .
With the RX 480 or GTX 1070 can can build a complete ready to go VR ready PC under 1000 dollars that in most cases will still deliver 80% of the average performance of your 1000 dollar next generation titan card .

I do agree with you regarding the content but when you say “Thus for serious VR it is necessary to have the best hardware. And RX480 in not the best in nearest future.” what is available will only get better as time goes on. your thinking high end or cards two generations away( yr 2020) out f the average users reach. the RX 480 and Nvidia GTX 1070 will get more in the door in the meantime while they might not offer the most perfect experience they will still empower way more users to VR in the mean time. while my point was not to proclaim it the magic door to VR. these cards are one of the closet steps that leads to that door for a family on a budget.

Also allow me to point out both AMD and Nvidia will likely be on the same 14nm & 16nm process up until 2020 when 10nm it fully mature for high production . That means at best 2 more generations of 30% to 40% improvements in the next 4 years. so no magic card will be here next year or the year after. but improved versions of pascal and polaris currently released . why does this matter ? High Fidelity will only be in Beta one year ? out of beta this is the choices people have in the x86 market .

People shop at Walmart , Best Buy , Amazon or buy from Dell online . all who offer a generic home PC with 80% of them pushing the best home computers this Christmas with a RX 480 or a GTX 1070 and those same people buys a new PC every 3 to 5yrs .
This is what High Fidelity will have to work with.

Gamer’s account for 10% of the PC markets / marketed while high end trophy cards represent 10% of that . maybe why the 700 dollar cards are so expensive. only a tiny fraction can afford them or need them .

Look at steam and all the vintage hardware being run by ‘Gamers’ .was not High Fidelity considering Steam?
Steam Vintage Hardware someone needs to sale all those old hardware users a RX 480 or a GTX 1070 otherwise the 480 is the least of everyone’s worry.

Good point. Maybe we need a hork rating for domains: :grin::worried::sob::flushed:

Waiting to see more benchmarks roll, this could well see me though, or bite the bullet and save for 1080+.
Very interested to see some prices on these in the coming hours and how they would perform in Crossfire.

I strongly disagree in many ways . the cards offer a bridge until Navi & Volta is released in 2018 again any Vega card or 1080 Ti will require high end parts .

Of course there videocards require high end parts (or pre high end). I talk about VR today. Common VR requirement for now is pre-top CPU. As i mentioned above VR kit now is not cheap thing. In order to buy HTC Vive you need 799$ + about 30$ for shipment costs. For less expensive but not bad solution you have to spend about 400$ (Razer OSVR HDK v2 with screen better than in HTC Vive). Premium solutions with high resolution and high FOV such as StarVR are coming and they will require better hardware and they will much more expensive itself.

If you want to play VR experences right here and right now without paying a lot of money may be RX480 will be enough. But this is very unclear because 2016-2017 years is the period of great changes in hardware and software. 2016: first consumer versions of relatively non-expensive VR kits, first basic VR hardware, first MGPU games (Vulkan and DX12). So i am not sure about RX480 yet.

Speaking of minimal hardware for VR… Just look at VirtualBoy from Nintendo :wink: First VR gaming console. But in relation to metaverse this hardware is too weak.

these cards are one of the closet steps that leads to that door for a family on a budget.

Indeed. But its rather “gaming hardware with basic capabilities for beginners in VR” than “VR for everyone”. I dont see a good VR videocard on the market.

Look at steam and all the vintage hardware being run by ‘Gamers’ .

Unfortunately not all gamers is included in target audience of VR.

Maybe we need a hork rating for domains

I think due to possible inhomogenity of content it is better to make ranking with the following way. Every domains is divided into XYZ areas. The next step is calculation of performance impact of all areas based on amount of polygons and textures, and resolution of textures, as well as usage of shaders. From thes calculations it is possible to acquire density of impact of content on performance with some reserve for a number of average avatars (constant value in formula which can be changed by domain owner for plans to invite certain amount of visitors).

Agree. for the best experience a higher end card is going to be due.it will take 2 to 3 generations for the power of today’s high end cards to end up standard on the entry level cards. that’s around 4 yrs away. until then i do believe if high fidelity stays eloquently written and guided in the meantime that’s the viable work around to a market of possible users with under powered systems. the software has to make up for the shortcomings of the hardware but as long as has development stays fluid and intuitive to emerging threads with Philip Rosedale i have no uncertainty in my mind that he does.

That might be the best way to see it at this point.
almost 2 decades ago Philip Rosedale set the world a stage when Second Life came out,years later he stated a lot of the reasons the platform was able to adapt to quickly with growth at a certain point was the introduction of the GTX lineup from Nvidia.up until that point the graphics cards were not integrated with snail life performance that was the break through he had spoken about.

I believe the time is right for high fidelity and VR hardware but the duopoly that covers the GPU market is sandbagging how powerful of a product they can deliver to the market,
slight reversal in my position from my last few comments i am a little taken back to today’s performance reviews of the RX 480 after the NDA was lifted, it is on par with 390 performance after leapfrogging two process nodes almost makes me dizzy, people are claiming it is a big deal but i find myself reversing positions that a 480 w/ 8GB ram near $249 compared to a 390 w/8GB selling on average $299! that is not a deal or value in my mind while in two years basically AMD is not offering any power increase from last gen to this gen only a 50 dollar price difference with near identical performance.

The RX 480 IS 10% faster then a R9 390 while the 390 is 10% faster then a Radeon HD 7970 all since 2011 to 2016, from 28nm to bypassing 20nm to 14nm.
so in 5yrs your only seeing a 20% increase! on mid level cards!

Indeed, myself fully agreeing with this myself now after looking at yours and others perspectives and analysts.

Nvidia might have product shortages at the moment, your still getting better faster technology for just a little under 100 dollars more. AIB 480 card w/ 8GB ram from Asus will likely run around $289 compared to an Nvidia 1070 founders edition at $379 that has twice the performance, perfect for VR users.
The better value will be Nvidia.

All the reviews & further product info released today 6/29 online allowed me to adjust my position to reflect true market options unknown from me when i first posted the thread.

Good analysis, I’m waiting to see what an AIB pushing 1500MHz will go for.
Still looking at something second hand I think.

The barriers are lowering though, that’s great!

I’m gonna stick with Nvidia, cos Sam who is developing the graphics engine is ex Nvidia.They may be better they may be worse but it its going to work on anything Nvidia will be it.But By all means get it, as someone has to find out what works or not on other formats

That is very helpful info to know Judas…Thanks!

Same here, looking on Ebay last night had me coming across an Evga 980 Ti Classified for $299 buy it now!
by the time i logged in. someone snagged it! …Sighs! maybe next time.

Speaking of GPU hardware and SecondLife the main problem of SecondLife is the lack of technical improvements. Since Icculus finished his work on SecondLife Viewer for non-windows OSes there was no significant changes and improvements in SecondLife rendering - there is still elder version of OpenGL. I suppose LindenLab in Project Sansar steps on the same rake: inefficient rendering engine and lack of current capabilities for modern graphic cards. I think the best solution is standard metaverse protocol which can be used for different engines. This can eliminate most of performance problems.

…nvidia makes DisplayPort incompatible hardware and VR unready videocards: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,32204.html

Well… VR incapability, high power consumption and rebranding Maxwell as Pascal (Pascal is just overclocked Maxwell) of Nvidia’s GTX 1080 and 1070 looks not so terrible against a background of motherboard destroyer from AMD: the reference RX480 card. However, non-reference RX480 will be much better and extremely stable. Even current RX480’s board designed much more better than 1080’s one designed with fully automatic and inefficient PCB router. The only problem of reference RX480 is 6-pin power connector.