Any good tutorial for roughness and specularity?

Does anyone have a good tutorial to recommend about roughness and specularity for Blender and HF?

So far, I can’t make this work as I expect…
Let me know.

theres a @Menithal video somwhere which is good lemmie look

But i still think it’s not doing things right with blender. it’s for me still 50/50 with pbr and 3d-cost…,mabye high fidelity does not suppurt enough steps.

Thank you, it has helped.

I still encounter problems with some models, due to normal map I believe. I haven’t quite figured out why some models just don’t want to do PBR nicely, inconsistent…

I have that same problem. Some models you get closer to the look and otehrs complete fail.

What I think may be happening is sometimes there are not enough polygons in the mesh for Hifi to bake the normal properly across the face(s). Trial fix will be to add some subdivisions too mesh and try again. Is this what you are noticing too?

Not tried that, scary idea when you try to use less vertices. Normal maps are the easy thing that works. but roughness and metal can be a rough difficult task.

This is the case where roughness and metal are OK but normal map is not… oddness.

Hi @whyroc,

Would you have such a model that is causing you trouble that you can share with me ?
Normally the normal map works just like expected from blender.
if you do the correct mental ninja gymnastic when using Blender of setting:
Gloss is the inverse of roughness
Specular is just metallic or not
then you should be good

Beware that we do convert the textures on import when the FBX material is Phong:
So the roughness map should be a gloss map when set in BLender (because the FBX material coming out from Blender is always a gloss/specular phong style material)

The only way to embed true PBR textures in the FBX and use it is to export from Maya with the StingRay material. BEcause then we can tell for sure that s a PBR material.

Again the normal map is not really affected by this.

Prob teaching u to suck eggs here but do u have both boxes checked for the normal map?

@sam Its definitely the normal map/ base that is causing me the issues.

Apply these 2 textures in base + normal to any object in blender (cube)… The normal map works individually, but normal + base results in a shiny mess/

The textures were generated in Substance painter, is there anything you can see that might be causing issues?

thanks

Hi Whyrock,

When you say base, you mean base color ? (this is what i call albedo)
What is the value you set for the “specular” color in blender then ?
it needs to be 0/black for non metallic, 1/white otherwise.
IN case you haven;t seen it yet, there is a MAterial export guide which
shows how the material propoerties are translated from the modeling tools
(blender/maya) to fbx and then to hifi material here:
https://wiki.highfidelity.com/wiki/Material_Export_Guide

cheers,

S

My curent thinking on all this pbr shennanigans is working on going from substance painter to blender to hifi
all the textures from substance drag em into photoshop and make the opacity 50% for everything then load them into blender as normal

oh the map that connects to hardness in blender , um roughnes gloss u need to invert flipping black to white
it will look like crap in there but will look correct in hifi

maya stingray version, and blender version

It would all be more easy if the make the new platform compatible with blender.

Or… make everything so that we just upload the textures on atp etc. and assign them inside jigh fidelity to the obj or fbx file and sdjust things with a few sliders. still a big mistake to design for maya only.

I have 3D-coat in test , i like it. i can export for different programs including maya. But you still get seperate textures. And in blender it’s a almost impossible task. It would be nice to do 3d-coat - blender - platform, so you can combine different models first. But hifi is complete not compatible with blender.

I call albedo / color btw diffuse. Trying to change that slowly, but that make getting things right only harder.

Oh, still not complete sure how to export it from 3D-Coat.
Using metalness/roughness. That did seems to work best. but i can also choice for metalness/gloss or gloss / color specular. Curious what i did use for the firts object that with some aarghs and tinkering gave a acceptable result.

ANyway, substance painter / 3D-Coat or what ever. the all export it as textures./ soemtiems you get the OBJ file. and with 3d-coat blender cycles some materials are assigned to the obj when you import in blender. But that does not help when you can only use a maya workflow almost nobody can do.

Supporting a .bfbx format?

But then blender need some bfbx exporter.
Would solve headaces with forgetting to select things when exporting :open_mouth:

But if that solves the problem complete ?
If i import my 3D-Coat work in blender it’s many times not looking good.
I think assign textures inworld and have sliders to adjust settings. a bit like secondlife solves problems more easy. Except if you paint separate parts and want to combine it again.

Hi @sam yeah I’ve seen all that… and have had some good success with (other) normal maps and base (yes albedo = base). plus spec/rough.

Can someone try to import a model with the textures I included? let me know if I am not crazy … but for some reason this normal map does not work right…

thanks,

texture 50%opacity

low shine version

HMM this looks way better than my results… wonder what the heck…I am going nuts

-C