Avatar appears then disappears (v3725-3766

Win 10 Now running 3766 but this has been a problem since 3725
Launching Interface  using Local domain, assets display normally then after briefly appearing my avatar, then disappears (nothing seen in mirror either)
Avatar initially displays as normal, then begins erratic movement - 'bouncing up and down’
LOG [12/10 13:58:52] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)

then avatar disappears
keyboard ’ (quote) restores avatar temporarily before it disappears again

Today using 3766 i still get this log message

[12/14 18:32:53] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)
[12/14 18:32:53] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)
[12/14 18:32:54] [WARNING…

Custom avatar appears, then disappears

… hey hey hey, good bye.

I’ve also seen the nan warning message followed by a crash lately too – seems like some bogie math got introduced somewhere on the C++ side (nan == Not a Number).

na na na - there has to be a way even if drunk

Win10

1. Uninstalled Interface (64bit) (again !)

2 => C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\High Fidelity

Delete
interface.ini (this was not removed after Uninstall step1)

Delete
Interface.ini.nq1544 (dated 28/09/2015)

1. Reinstall 3768
  2. User & Pswd
    Launch with new settings
    Avatar robot appears, jumps up and down and vavoom - gone again

[12/15 10:01:45] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)
[12/15 10:01:46] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)
[12/15 10:01:46] [WARNING] Invalid display name position {type=‘glm::vec3’, x=nan, y=nan, z=nan}, setting is to (0.0f, 0.5f, 0.0f)
[12/15 10:01:46] [WARNIN

keyboard ’ (quote) temporarily restores avatar before it disappears again

A fun way to kill the lights and dip your hand in the nandy jar is:

Tools -> Console…

MyAvatar.orientation = 'vavoom'

Which for me results in an immediate black screen + continuous nan…nan…nan warning messages, although here the avatar seems to simply vanish and it doesn’t seem to crash.

So I think the nan's and crash you are seeing might merely be side-effects of earlier errors or math functions.

The most common pattern I’ve seen this sort of thing happen is with quat *= rot – accumulating rotation without regularly re-normalizing the accumulator. Under particular circumstances that can eventually spill-over into an inf or zero result (proceeding into snowball effects).

If that’s the case the good news is a fix is trivial (ie: quat = glm::normalize(quat * rot)) – but the bad news is there may be no great way to predict or test where it needs to be applied (for example, the root cause might be a dormant gene in old code – merely activated and brought to the surface by more recent changes).

Suggest you promptly backup your current .ini file and note anything that seems to help you consistently cause the crash; then if/when fixed you can occasionally restore that .ini file and verify that you can’t crash the party anymore.

Anything you stumble upon related to math that affects symptoms might be useful for troubleshooting – such as whether switching to stock avatar model, removing attachments, disabling animations, disabling collisions, etc. makes any apparent difference.

@humbletim RE. vavoom - haha yes its a Road Runner moment
and yes my avatar disappears but the interface doesn’t crash, and no black screen - all the entities render as normal.
I removed all AC scripts  days ago, and the avatar model doesn’t affect things, there are no attachments  nor animations  and i only have default scripts running.
Now 3769 Win 10 and again view Log has constant [WARNING] loop. Beats me