Avatar creation flow Fuse-Maximo-HF without using Blender

Hi

I just put online a tutorial to create an avatar from Fuse-Maximo without using Blender. (Including some hints for the new be.)

https://vankh.bashora.com/2017/12/04/avatar-adobe-fusemaximo-to-high-fidelity-without-blender/

For what I have seen, the HF documentation still considers that it’s possible to edit an avatar in Blender without destroying its rigging. This has never worked for me at least… and to some other people, if I consider the level of deformation of their legs when they jump. :wink:

(It’s probably containing a lot of English typo… sorry in advance… french brain inside.)

Web-hosted avatar invisible!

le singe est dans le arbre

Mais il y avait encore trop de singes qui tombaient. :wink:

Hi @Alezia.Kurdis, thanks for that great tutorial :grinning:

I just hang on step 3 at moment. If I run FBXoMap, after some time when the tool is converting, it stops with an error from .NET framework. I have a screenshot, but it’s German, so not sure it helps. I also copy the text from the little window. Any hint what I can do to fix it?

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Die Anzahl darf nicht kleiner als 0 (null) sein.
Parametername: count
   bei System.String.Remove(Int32 startIndex, Int32 count)
   bei FBXoMap.Form1.FixMaximoFbx(String sContent)
   bei FBXoMap.Form1.Button4_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 4.7.3013.0 built by: NET472REL1.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
FBXoMap
    Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/skimi_2vgap06/Desktop/FBXoMap/FBXoMap/FBXoMap.exe.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly-Version: 10.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 14.7.3013.0 built by: NET472REL1.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

Is your .Net framework version has been updated recently ?
Maybe an upgrade to the last version would help.

If you can try and confirm, I would add this in the tutorial.

Can’t update it. If I try, it tells, latest version or newer is already installed.

I will check if I can package this thing differently… maybe it’s my version that is too old… (8 months… frankly I hope they can do better :wink: )

Nice!

Regarding the blender editing of mixamo avatars

Really need to get around and make that script for the editing mixamo avatars. The rigging doesn’t succeed as mixamo tends to inject mixamo:: suffix Infront of the bone names, and the fbx reading is different from blender fbx vs the fbx mixamo pushes out (it checks the appname of what ever wrote the fbx to distinguish the type ). This means the bones do not get mapped correctly, and the pose output by mixamo isn’t an absolute resting pose.

There been a fbx reader hack basically for ages now and nobody wants to take crack at it because “it works”

So if we could remove the suffix, that would work ?

It depends on the skeleton imported (because this is entirely dependent on how the model was mapped in mixamo), otherwise you will have limbs crossed among otherthings that can really annoy one:

Forexample: If the rest pose of is an absolute T-pose, it is absolutely doable by just removing the prefix.

However: If the rest pose is not an absolute T-pose, thats when you start having issues, and you have to first (which i also use):

1. Move Bones to be absolute.
  2. Move limbs to an absolute T pose.
  3. Apply pose as rest pose (can be difficult if shapekeys are present, without ApplyModifierForObjectWithShapeKeys Plugins)
  4. Remove suffix.

This is a neat workaround for the Adobe Fuse transparency problem.

When Fuse exports automatically to Mixamo (note spelling!!!, your spelling of Mixamo is incorrect, means you wont get search hits on the page), it does not export the proper PBR workflow set of images. This is a total bug in Fuse I think…

What I found for most female fuse avatars, you can export (as .obj) and fix the textures first in blender, then upload through the main Mixamo web interface and do the auto rigging then. For some reason it doesn’t work as well for Male avatars… the arms end up shortening.

It’s still probably easier to use Menithal’s rig overall, even for fuse->blender->hifi direct workflow… but Mixamo adds thef facial blendshapes which is very nice…

I love that the avatar workflow is still a neverending nightmare of complexity that even the simplest method we had here has even the professionals tearing out their own hair.
I go back to my desire to have a range of export tools for the main 3d packages, so we can work in what ever standard formats blender maya or whatever support and it will just work in hifi.
That would still be stupidly complex but then we could use these various avatar tools to simpllify it up a bit ie avastar or makehuman…

it wont ever happen as policy seems to be lets make it as difficult as possible to keep it feeling exclusive lol

I was to say the same thing…

This is at the limit of the absurd. We better go digging a big hole at Oak Island’s money pit, that would be more easy. :wink:

What if we do the clean up of the suffix before the import.
MixAmo FBX => ASCII => Clean up suffix => FBX

Do you think it can works ?

Wow… I always read Maximo… I must be dislexic or something like that.
Probably my brain was just refusing to admit that it could be Mixamo… which look as a device to shuffle the bullets for a dangerous russian roullette game. :wink:

I will remove that tutorial by the way… It was an attempt to make that simpler… but seriously It’s still a shame… a shame with some duct tape around it.

I think we are well gear to see nobody around for long.

Has someone released a MakeHuman template model that works in HiFi yet?

I could scrap one together and release it if no one has yet and there’s interest in it.

EDIT: Forgot I still have trouble getting HiFi to not render my models fullbright. So never mind… Maybe when rigged/dynamic GLTF support gets added.