Beepin and Flashing

@philip

:slight_smile:

I patched my Interface to fix it. Though being lazy I went old school patching and put a square of black tape over the bleepn’ thing. :wink:

Hi @OmegaHeron and @judas. @philip has put in a feature for auto-muting and we are trying out the sensitivity.

With the latest builds, the audio mixer will mute you (and you will see your mute button come on and pulse) if your background mic level is too high. Pay attention to whether the setting for this seems to be working, and let us know. In the domain settings->Audio Enviroment, you will see where you can set how sensitive it is. The default is 0.001. 0.002 would make it more tolerant of background noise before muting, etc. See what you think the right numbers should be.

Intent understood - I normally have my audio muted as I’m typically in a domain alone working on things. So regardless of mic levels it’s going to flash. Perhaps a tri-state would be good - if you’ve manually muted it’s just red - if you’ve been squelched pulse to let you know why.

Its not working perfect, one of the problem, when it start to mute you dont goet automatic out of it. it keeps you muted how loud noise you make doesnt matter. 0.001 is to low its getting trigger to much, and again its not deactivated automatic, not good. 0.002 it start at least not the blink, beep and buzz.

Understanding the intent is to prevent open mic noise and the eardrum splitting loud we run into. Here’s a thought.

If one took a quick integer FFT of the mixed stream getting a power spectrum value and another on the stream to be mixed you could quickly tell if a stream to be added in grossly louder (or lower in volume!) than the norm. You could then scale the loud stream or deny its participation if so loud that it can’t be cleanly equalized. By setting a threshold somewhere around 3 to 6 dB max over the norm you could still have variations while eliminating the 10 to 20 dB over norm levels.

It’s always good to be sure the dB is understood to be what it is, a logarithmic ratio, not some absolute unit. 3 dB is twice something, 10 dB is 10 times, 20 dB is 100 times. 23 dB is 200 times and etc. So 6dB over the average power spectrum of the mixed audio would be 4 times louder than the entire mixed stream. I deal with this kind of stuff every day - but not for audio, I work in the radio frequency spectrum mostly. : )

As to open mics just sending useless background ambient noise. That will tend to be a fairly steady state power spectrum over time allowing you to detect an invariant state and squelch based on lack of delta. Use that all the time to avoid wasting transmitter power sending useless input.

Untill the sound works without choppy gaps in it why are we discussing the colour

Also anyone doing DSP [digital signal processing] mixing of signals should be familiar with things like the following, also dynamic range compression, limiting and all the other tricks to keep a set of sampled waveforms within limits of the DAC range and produce accurate output when dealing with widely divergent inputs to a final mixed stream.

http://www.voegler.eu/pub/audio/digital-audio-mixing-and-normalization.html

Best setting to use for now, its tested on the meeting is 0.003