Beta Release 16 includes up to Developer Release 5179. This release has some pretty significant upgrades on a couple of fronts.
- Frikken Lasers* - grab and select lasers now look more like real lasers with configurable glow, color and hot spots at their ends
- Expansive window decoration - on windows that can be moved, pinned or closed, when you hover your laser on their containers, the targets get larger making it easier to move them, close or pin them.
- Changes that make it easier to select menu items
- Conversion of edit.js toolbar to new api (makes it easier to move)
- Improved and configurable equip behavior.
** When you get your hand close to an equip point, an indicator animates into view.
** When you pass your hand through the equip point, you get some haptic feedback.
** When you re-position the object, drop it and re-equip it, it remembers the position
** When you turn your hand over, the equip indicator appears and you get a haptic pulse letting you know you can drop it
** When you turn your wrist to drop and trigger click, it transitions from equip to grab
** You can specify your own equip model and its size in user data
- On near grabbing an object, you get a haptic pulse
- When you are far grabbing an object and you move your body, the object doesn’t fly away
- There was a math error causing audio to drop off more sharply than it should have at certain distances. This fix should give you a much more realistic experience. 3D sounds now carry much farther and attenuate more correctly with distance.
- There is a new codec that compresses the audio to be 4x smaller than before, without any perceptible change in quality. It is a totally unique design that we developed specifically for VR: the “High Fidelity Audio Codec”, or HFAC for short.
- Sounds from collisions and other sound effects have lower latency, so for example playing a drum will feel better because the movement and sound will be better in sync.
- Sounds that you play locally (noone else can hear) can now be 3D spatialized.
The nitty gritty is below:
- Fix the AudioMixer distance attenuation.
- Improved audio pipeline: remove all hard clipping and improve audio quality.
- Don’t show user’s border when hover mouse if logged out
- Prevent users window from being dragged off screen
- Snapshot takes picture of HMD window instead of preview
- Fix TypedArray byte ordering and .subarray indexing. Fixes a few small but critical bugs in the JS TypedArrays implementation:
- Fix canRezTmp logic (incorrectly) resets valid lifetimes to the maximum value
- Fix export entities by region
- Fix modTouchscreen camera input for Interface
- Fixes a crash that occurs when switching between several domains too fast.
- Add teleportation to the array of movement options.
- Support alpha and color gradients in circle overlays
- Various snapshot improvements
- Fix MyAvatar name and url accessors.
- Expand frame decoration when mouse is over a window in HMD mode
- Fix orientation being reset to 0,0,0,1
- Audio codecs support.
- Update max request limit and number of processing threads
- Spatialization and HRTF for local audio injectors
- Ignore Avatar featureel overlays not correctly scaling
- Basic hand-controller editing
- Added Mac preview image if VSync is enabled
- Add missing loading images for Asset Browser
- Various performance optimizations
- Fix rendering of overlay spheres with alpha
- Ensure newly shown windows are popped to the top of the zorder
- Fixed issues in some popup windows
- New entity collision shape options
- Support for glowing 3D line overlays
- Interface changes for new Marketplace
- Refresh feature/grab script polish
- Support for scale property on model overlays.
- Improved throwing with hand-controllers.
- Improved HRTF
- Update all asset server responses to be reliable
- Menu & hand controller polish
- Toolbar improvements
- Delete old Interface logs
- Fix hover states for toolbar buttons
- Make search line termination a circle, like 2D UI
- Grab Script Improvements
- Fix decoration inflation
- Grab Script Polish
- Fix hover states for toolbar buttons
- Support triangle and hexagon shapes, add shape support to overlays.
- Injectors now always play locally, and send to server without echo
- Actually delete textures we’re not using
- Improve throwing release velocity
- Changes for hifi Codec plugin building on Linux
- Cleanup resources used by offscreen GL surfaces
- Ensure the pause overlay is unlit (emissive)
- Far-grabbed objects no longer fly away when the avatar body shifts
- Fix crash with multiple solo nodes in closeCurrentPacket
- Show up to three suggested domains when you bring up the GoTo address bar. Clicking on picture takes you there. Can filter results by typing. To have a domain appear in Suggestions:
** You must add a photo to your place name
** Your domain must be open
NOTE: This release includes a protocol change, so you will need to update. Download it here.
-* @ryan’s terminology.