Beta Release 20 includes up to Developer Release 5335. This release contains protocol changes, so be sure to update!
One major new addition is some social sharing functionality. This release builds on June’s proof of concept, which suggested three visitable places above the address bar. Now we’re extending that with a snapshot feed. This should assist people in finding new and exciting content, and seeing what’s going on across public domains.
Just The Basics:
- There is now a snapshot button in the toolbar: It works in HMD, and removes all HUD UI elements from the fixed aspect-ratio picture. If you are logged in to a shareable place, you also get an option to share the snapshot to a public feed. (Try doing View->Mirror and taking a selfie!)
- The “Go To” address bar now offers a scrollable set of suggestions that can be places or snapshots: The two buttons to the right of the address bar switch between the two sets, and typing filters them. Clicking on a place takes you to that named place, but clicking on a snapshot opens another window with more info. You can then visit the place that snapshot was taken by clicking on the picture, explore the other snapshots taken by that person or in that place, or share the picture to Facebook if you choose. If your friends follow your share to the picture on the Web, they can click on the picture to jump to the same place - if they have Interface installed.
(None of this has anything to with the forums picture feed, which isn’t public or scalable, nor are there changes to the old control-s behavior.)
Where We’re Headed:
There’s a lot more we can do with this, but we wanted to release what we have now and find out what’s important to you.
We’re also thinking about other activity and media you might like to share and see in the feed, such as joining a group or downloading from marketplace.
How might we use the “wisdom of crowds” to score and order the suggestions, based on real activity that people find useful?
As we move forward with social sharing:
- We require a login to share, and we’d like to offer personalized feeds in the future based on your (optional) login. We don’t want to require a login to use High Fidelity or to enjoy the suggestions made by the feed.
- We want to allow connecting your High Fidelity account to social media, but we don’t want to require you to do so.
- We don’t want to share anything without you telling us that it is ok to do so.
Also in This Release
- HandControllerGrab and web entity input integration
- New Editor for UserData JSON
- Clicking the Marketplace icon while wearing an HMD with hand controllers will spawn the Marketplace web site within a handheld tablet, instead of on the overlay UI sphere. When not actively held, the Marketplace tablet should follow the user as they navigate the world by teleporting or using the arrow keys.
- High Fidelity includes default scripts instead of loading them
- Support for fbx2016 format
- Fixed address bar being opened when moving between places on same domain
- Center HMD Hud after teleport
- Fixed default skybox behavior
- Sped up spherical harmonics calculation with minimal error
- Fixed Vive crash in AMD driver
- Raised max iterations for IK to 16 from 4
- Render collision geometry
- Improved web entity rendering
- Fixed Screen Space ambient occlusion which was broken since a while
- Included the codec name in the agent avatar audio stream
- (AMD) OpenGL Fixes
- Silence address bar log warning
- Custom OpenGL context creation
- No more delete with backspace in edit.js
- Bug fix for click events received by entity scripts
- Add shareable address from default name, leverage for steam join/invite
- When trigger is pulled, snap search beam to correct length instead of animating