Beta Release 80 Now Scheduled for Tuesday, March 19, 2019

We are targeting Beta Release 80 for Tuesday, March 19, between 10:00am - 1:00pm PDT / 5:00pm - 8:00pm UTC.

Note: There is a protocol change in this version.

New in v0.80.0!

This release completes the overlay work we began a couple of releases back. We have converted our internal use of overlays to local entities and are moving toward deprecation of 3D overlays.
Content Creators: From now on, please use local entities instead of overlays. Any work you have that uses Overlays should be migrated to use local entities.

Improvements

Create Tools

• The ‘Entity Types’ dropdown of the Entity List has new buttons for Select All (check all entity types) and Clear All (uncheck all entity types).

Rendering

• We added the ability to load GLB (GLTF binary) format assets with on our ongoing work to support glTF.
  • The Market tablet app is rewritten in QML (from HTML) to support future mobile-compatible devices.

Other Mentions

• When you update a Marketplace item, the number of likes now carries over from the original item to the updated item in the Marketplace.
  • During a custom install, you now have the ability to install only the Sandbox or only the Interface without uninstalling the other.
  • The list of live-speakers in the People tablet app are sorted live. You no longer need to refresh or close the PAL to re-sort the list except in very noisy or low-level places.
  • We’ve added new text to warn when sending an inventory to the Trash is an irreversible action.

Fixes

• UTF-8 characters are read correctly in FST files. This fixes a bug where Japanese characters in FST files were incorrectly read, causing the avatars to fail while loading.
  • We continue to address the “white orb” issue where avatars appear as white orbs when loading into a domain and never fully load as avatars.

Create Tools

• Fixed the ability to change animations of an FBX model entity by a script or via the Create menu (Canny Request: http://roadmap.highfidelity.com/bugs/p/fix-entity-model-animations).
  • Sorting entity and files lists now correctly sorts alpha and non-alphanumeric characters.
  • Drop-downs now close when a user clicks outside of the list.
  • Users can now change a particle effect’s URL by typing into the field directly.

Rendering

Other

• Fixed a long-standing issue that would sometimes occur where an ESS script couldn’t get the properties of its parent. There has a been a workaround in place where a blank javascript function was placed inside of the parent entities serverScripts property. After this fix, you should no longer need to use this workaround.
  • Fixed an issue in the PAL where index numbers would append after display names for users even if they were the only user with that name in the domain. This was occurring due to an issue with refreshing content, re-entering a domain, or recovering from crashes.

Crash Fixes

Fixed crashes in the following scenarios:

• Resizing entities
  • Parsing AvatarEntity data with too many LocalJointTranslations
  • On Mac Desktop computers

Android

Nothing specific for Android in this release.

Excellent! I’m looking forward to this one.

Aka, an even bigger reason to push for this feature:
http://roadmap.highfidelity.com/feature-requests/p/allow-domain-owner-to-dictate-asset-load-orderpriority

Great work team! I can’t wait to download this one.

Can we sent script events to Web entities yet?

see API note below, my scripts use the web3d overlay as it doesn’t seem supported yet on entities:

https://docs.highfidelity.com/api-reference/namespaces/entities.html#.emitScriptEvent

emitScriptEvent(entityID, message)

Send a script event over a Web entity’s EventBridge to the Web page’s scripts.

Parameters:
Name Type Description
entityID Uuid The ID of the Web entity.
message string The message to send.

To Do:

• This function is currently not implemented.

Yes, I believe this should work now! I will update the jsdocs to reflect this. Let me know if you have any issues with it. As of this release, the Overlays API will just make a local entity under the hood, so you can’t gain any functionality by using it, and you’re just paying the price for the conversion of properties.

EDIT: spoke to soon! This wasn’t fully enabled in 80, but it will be in 82! It should work if you go through the tablet, as many of our scripts do, but not through an arbitrary web entity via that API call until 82 @whyroc

So it sounds like the Overlay Emit script event will break with 80? Reason why I was not using the tablet entity was so I didn’t have to keep the tablet open to run the script.

thanks

How were you previously using it? I don’t think there was ever an “Overlays.emitScriptEvent”.

There may have been a way of doing it via the Overlay object directly, with Overlays.getOverlayObject(<id>)? Is that what you’re referring to? That method should still work, and there’s also an Entities.getEntityObject now, which will do the same thing.

Ok super, yes I was using Overlays.getOverlayObject. I will wait for 82 and then implement a basic local entity, fingers crossed will be good for 80.

thanks @SamGondelman

Way more filter documentation is needed, adding a couple more examples isn’t nearly enough. This should be thoroughly documented, and in a way that beginners can understand how to write them. Securing domains is extremely important.

image image
Hmmm something changed. I’m using the the original fst packager. Any idea how to solve it?

@123.Basinsky.321, is this for a new avatar or an avatar that used to work?

If it is a new avatar, please try the new packager.

If it is an avatar that used to work, please email support@highfidelity.com along with the file you’re using, note this forum conversation, and the team will look at it.

Re http://roadmap.highfidelity.com/bugs/p/keep-likes-when-marketplace-objects-updated

This appears to be fixed only going forward, i.e., it hasn’t been fixed retroactively.

@emilythethird
“Your did not”
You did not
:wink:
Typo in avatar packager screeny above

AND looks like this version breaks attachments even harder:
http://roadmap.highfidelity.com/bugs/p/wearables-detaching-after-roughly-4-minutes

This is for a new. I tried it also with my buzz lighyear avatar and it gives me the same error. It did not when I used it in 79. When I use the avatar packer the avatar is imported but is horizontal in stead of vertical. I will try to experiment a bit more, and send the avatar to support.

Great headway! With major releases like this it assumed there will be some bugs but I am satisfied that HiFi is developing in the right direction. Kudos to you and the HiFi team. I look forward to getting back involved when I am finished moving to my new job in another state.

Hap ?;O)

I can recreate this issue as well - it will not work on any models that I have used the same process with in the past - just get the same error. I would really appreciate it if this could be fixed, as it is my preferred way of packaging an avatar.

Ok, not so good news… the web3d Overlay doesn’t seem to exist anymore, so script is likely broken until 82. slightly better news… I have a version using the tablet I can revert to for the time being.

++ for the API docs updates btw!

@ultranique - Would you also email support@highfidelity.com with the file you’re using so we can investigate this?