Beta Release 82 Now Scheduled for Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Beta Release 82 release notes are available in High Fidelity’s docs here.

Please note there will not be feature cards in GoTo for releases going forward, and the best place to find information on the latest release will be our website.

Thank you!

Edit: There will still be GoTo feature cards for events, including community events. The only GoTo feature cards going away are release-specific ones (that say only the time/date of release).

3 Likes

So if there are any actual events, say things like the D-Day thing… that will not be advertised on Goto?

Also:

• 3D Models: Group Culled

How will this work? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad complaint, but this is a fairly beefy function that has had some huge demand.

Oh no - just the release GoTo. There will still be feature cards for events (community events included). :slight_smile: I’ll add clarifying language in the post too.

This will be added to the documentation soon:

* @property {boolean} groupCulled=false - If <code>true</code>, the mesh parts of the model are LOD culled as a group.
 *     If <code>false</code>, separate mesh parts will be LOD culled individually.

So it’s not full LOD control, but it let’s you mimic the behavior of avatars (which are always groupCulled)

Hmm… So what if you set that property to true on wearables? Will the wearables groupcull along with the parented avatar or even have those parts be calculated when dealing with current avatar LOD?

It’s a slightly different mechanism but since RC80, all descendant entities (domain, avatar, and local) of an avatar will cull based on the bounding box of the avatar. In other words, if an avatar has some wearables (which are just avatar entities parented to an avatar), they will all render unless the avatar is LOD’d out, in which case none of them will render. So separately setting groupCulled on wearables won’t have any effect because we already force them to cull with the avatar.

So just to double check, will this same be based on entities (bounding box?)?

Say we have the following:

• A House
    • A Table
      • A Glass
        • Ice Cubes
      • A Plate

So these represent a scene. The objects are parented going down the chain (Ice Cubes -> A Glass -> A Table -> A House, with the house being parented to anything) and all have group culling turned on. If say the culling takes effect and states the glass should disappear, the ice cubes will as well? If the table disappears, the glass, its ice cubes, and the plate will also disappear?

I guess I’m just trying to poke at if it’s better to parent things to a single point (say all to the house) or to keep the usual chain (like the above) to best make use of the group culling.

Ok so:

Avatars: multiple submeshes will all cull together (as if it were groupCulled) but also, all entity descendants will cull with the avatar. This is so clothes/wearables won’t disappear.

Entities: if a model entity has multiple submeshes, you can use groupCulled to make sure they cull together. There’s no way currently to make multiple entities cull together, via parenting or otherwise.

So in your example, if they’re all separate entities, making them groupCulled won’t do anything. The ice cubes are smaller than the glass I assume, so they’ll disappear first anyways. If the entire scene was a single model with multiple submeshes, making it groupCulled would mean, for example, that the ice cubes wouldn’t LOD out until the entire house LODd out.

2 Likes