Beta Release 83 Now Scheduled for Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Bump on this error: I’ve uninstalled twice and the game simply attempts to boot but does not succeed. Help!!

you are running Windows 7 or 8 -10

Something to do with windows as far as I can tell with verifying lot of links to Visual-Studio

is this a joke
how can i feel hifi is a exclusive experiance if any idiot can run it now

1 Like

@Firestrum @Twa_Hinkle Thanks for letting us know! We’re working on this with high priority. It looks like this is an issue related to Windows 7 or 8 – could you confirm what you are running?

Isn’t that a good thing though? HiFi running on low performance machines is perfect. It’s already multiple steps above SL because of that, SL is irreparable without a complete overhaul of every part of the engine. So performance is permanently going to be bad for it, if HiFi can get performance going now then this is the perfect time to do so before too many corners are painted in.

The lower cpu usage is really nice!

1 Like

The machine that I get the missing .dll error on is running win 7. If you scroll down on the forum posts to the beta 79 and 79.1 releases you can see my posts there of the problem I had with that release. I suspect it might be related to this one but that time it was the domain server (sandbox) rather than running Interface as it is this time. This time the domain server seems to work but I have no way to test it except to look at the settings page and see the ACs running, etc.

Another thing that I might be doing different from most people is that I always do a custom install. Installing Interface and Server or Server only did not seem to matter, but I always create desktop icons and never start after boot or start after install.

After getting no response from HiFi for weeks back then, I finally spent a few hours fooling around with the install. One thing I found is that I don’t think your uninstall is working correctly. I noticed that after doing an uninstall, most of the folders and files were still left on the hard drive and the same thing is happening now.

I am not sure exactly how I fixed it but what I did was to manually kill off all HiFi processes, do an uninstall, manually delete all HiFi files and folders, remove stuff from the registry, shut down, reboot and then do a clean install. I may have had to do some things multiple times and/or in different order and possibly other things as well, but I finally got it working.

The lack of response from HiFi kind of left a bad taste, so that is why I never posted anything about my success in fixing it.

Yes- I am running on windows 7.

It appears SHCore.dll was introduced in Win8.1. After some research online I see anecdotal evidence that it can be manually installed on Win7 and even Vista machines which should fix this problem, however the user/administrator on each Win7 box would have to do that.

Meanwhile, we have one idea that might fix it for all Win7 users but dunno if it will work yet (must test) and even if it does work I dunno when a 0.83.1 version will be released. This would be one of the high priority issues driving such an update.

I put up PR-16020 against 0.83.0 with a fix that might solve the Win7 problem. I don’t have a Win7 computer to test it on myself and it is an open question as to: “Will the interface client not bother loading the DLL if we don’t make any calls to its API at runtime? or will it always look for and load that DLL on startup?”

Perhaps someone with a Win7 machine could try installing that PR (once it successfully builds) and reporting back. Else we’ll eventually track down a Win7 machine and test it ourselves.

@M.L Thank you for your suggestions.

Any bugs can be submitted to the roadmap.

We just updated the release notes with new information regarding shadows: “Introduced shadowBias and shadowDistance as zone properties to allow precision when creating realistic shadows in different lighting conditions. NOTE: We tried to match the default values as closely as possible to the previous hard-coded values, but many existing domains that were already using shadows prior to 83 may now need a little additional adjustment to get these new properties set correctly.” Here’s the PR.

I tried PR-16020 but I still get the same error. Searching online I find lots of stuff about it. Searching on the machine that it occurs on, I don’t find it installed. I may be wrong but, isn’t that dll used for DPI scaling?

Seeing how this error is new to HiFi, I wonder if it has something to do with updating the QT version or .Net stuff.

It seems like MS is trying hard to end support for anything non-win 10.

This sort of makes the new “works on any computer” goal kind of…

[edit] oops… I just saw kencooke’s post… maybe that will solve it

@Twa_Hinkle thanks for testing. I implemented Ken’s suggestion and pushed an update to that PR. It should complete build in about half an hour and be ready for test again.

Edit: The error does not have to do with QT or .NET. We started using that lib recently to detect the current display hardware, as part of a larger “detect CPU and graphics card” library. However we don’t use Win7 internally and don’t have it in any of our test rigs. We’re willing to support it if it isn’t too much effort, but end-of-life for Win7 is coming soon (Jan 2020, I think) from MicroSoft.

Yes
I was being humorous

Throttled FES If Not Focus Broken 0.83.0
http://roadmap.highfidelity.com/bugs/p/throttled-fes-if-not-focus-broken-0830
I will add more later I consider this a priority
If you have been filming in the past this will affect you

1 Like

I don’t know if you check that picture but there is certain avatars that are really broken with this shadow problem you will see their heads only showing off don’t know if this is fixed or not

Remember, very often that:

Judas == Sarcasm.deadpan(culture_British)

6 Likes

Our own testing shows PR-16020 working for Win7. Win7 users should install the latest installer from the link below. We’ll close that PR, but the proper fix should be in 0.83.1 whenever that happens.

Fix for 0.83 on Win7:

@Twa_Hinkle @Firestrum

Here is the install for that fix (includes the option to install sandbox as well).

Thanks for the quick response. The new PR seems to have fixed the .dll crash on startup.

I would have tried it earlier except that I was backing up stuff and packing “caught on fire” win 10 VR newer computer to have it fixed. They claim they will fix it for $500. If so, then cheaper for now.

Only thing I can say about new version so far is: I crash a whole lot more and the audio is very poor with this older system. And yes, it is below min specs as of now. But It used to work a few weeks ago, as it did for 4 years until now.

But thanks for the PR fix, at least I can sort of log in until I get back to better computers.