Blender + shine discussion

@Samcake I’m referencing you on this as I’d like to discuss this not as how we’ve worked around this issue in past, but, instead - how this is supposed to work from standpoint of a coder who’s implementing the graphics engine. Again for all who might jump in and say you fix this like so - that’s not what I’m after here - I want to understand the mechanism of why we need to fix via tricks.

Given the following in Blender. A model with setting for color of specularity set to black (RGB 0,0,0) and Intensity set to 0 you see a shaded model with a light source added that has no apparent shine whatsoever. Now - bring that into HF in a zone defined space with Stage Sun Model disabled and you see something like this.

Enable Stage Sun Model and you see something like this.

Question - is that specular shine showing or something else?

Question - why does setting specular color to black and level to 0 not seem to impact shine levels? The only reliable way I’ve found to sort of control it is via applying a texture to material that only influence specular coloration. I attempted to also define one influencing specular level but that is ignored and doesn’t show in texture list for model.

For model in question you can see this in texture props

Grass.jpg:“atp:Grass.jpg”,
SpecularColor:“atp:noSpecular.png”,

Grass is grass - noSpecular.png is a png filled with RGB=0,0,0

Without specular color control via texture the shine is greatly increased. The primary question is - is this how engine is supposed to work?

This is most likely going to change quite drastically with the upcomming PR that is in the works.

but generally

1. Yes.
  2. AFAIK: Specular color is ignored, thus specular texture needs to be assigned. You can then use the power of the texture to adjust the amount the texture effects

Right - but there seems no way to totally zero shine - it’s like there’s a minimal level that you can come to that’s > 0. As to other PR, sure, but, it’s grown tiresome trying to guess/hack/kludge through these things.

There’s so much hackery on modeling side floating around that’s all dependent upon how HF works at some static point in its evolution and that’s not sustainable and it doesn’t open a dialog to actually address things that need addressing.

I am mentioning the PR because any work around we work for it now is most likely going to be broken by the time that gets released :stuck_out_tongue:

I would wait until the new graphics stuff gets merged. The PR will change much with lighting, materials and textures. Even now using ambient maps allows you to change how lighting is rendered and it will change even more soon.

If you are like me, perhaps you need an introduction to Procedural textures. This is a good discussion with examples. There’s some technical stuff here, too, for those who eat that for breakfast: Enjoy!

There are tradeoffs, though well worth it, it does crank up the amount of CPU the client (interface) burns. The nice part will be less shutting of huge texture maps across the internet.