Blender Texturing for models in HF

A method to texture a mesh and import it unbaked into hf with Normal and specular maps.

Thank you so much Judas! You are a prince!

I’ve done everything as shown in your video, and I just downloaded the latest stable release of Blender (2.7.1) from Blender.org. I’ve made a model in Blender render mode, GLSL shading on, exported fbx in binary, path mode absolute with Batch Own Dir unchecked. When the object comes in, the object is there, but no texture on it. I also tried just creating a material, and setting it to a color, and that is working, but when I use a texture in the material, no dice…

can u post ur model url, ill take a look

Yeah, sure…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89761961/test.fbx

thanks. It’s a simple cube that uses this texture…

@john_laury when you bring in the model, go to view>log and see what error you get on the texture

Bingo Cozza, “Internal Server Error 500”. I went to where I put the file (secondscripter.atwebpages.com/crate.png) in a browser and got an internal server error too. According to the page it’s getting a premature end of script failure so my host is at fault. I dropped the fbx and png file into my Dropbox’s pulic folder and uploaded it from there and voila. Like Doc Brown said… “IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!”

Thanks Cozza, note to self… the console and log files are there for a reason.

Good video judas. seems i need to learn a new workflow for high fidelity.

I found that on the Blender 2.71 version, in the fbx export panel, if under Path Mode you choose “Copy” instead of absolute, and then check the “Embed Textures” box, you get an fbx file with the textures embedded, and you don’t have to upload your texture with your fbx file to your server space. This has made it easier to give models to Chris to share with others. I just attached the fbx file to an email to him. My wooden steps were brought in this way.

Cool find @Vivienne. I knew textures could be embedded into fbx files, but didn’t realize the interface supported it. Great find!

Thanks vivienne, going to try that with next mesh test.

@judas when i seperate a selection so i have a seperate uv map part. i cannot select in 98% of the cases inblender the seperated part ? You know what im doing wrong.

Hmmm once you separate it you need to tab out of edit mode then select the newly separated section as its now a new piece …

Aha, tried that many times but did not work to, solved it different now. maby not good way. but more easy with align. just more materials with same texture.

I’m not really sure I understand what you were asking in that case. Now it sounds like your asking about texture alignment.
The way i scale and align textures is one process , the way i prepare the uv for baking is a second process.
I still may be answering a different question to what you asked but This is a good video explaing what i’m going on about lol

Thanks @judas. i know how todo the texturing stuff. maby nopt perfect. onmly soemtimes weird things happen or textures dont stick on the face etc. :open_mouth: when you do it more it het more easy.

I’m not sure this will help, but, I recently explained this to a friend in another context.

If I have a something in blender, say a wall on a house and it’s assigned a material with a texture to apply then I might need to set the repeats on said texture to something other than the default 1x1. Doing that I then bake the texture creating a new texture that applies the base to the unwrapped material UV layout. Saving that generated texture gives me the texture I’d need to use in HiFi to get look I want.

This is where it becomes complex.

When I create material for wall it has all the parameters needed to make it visually appear as I want it including a texture (or not) that’s applied. If I create an FBX export with that I do not get a what I visually want in HiFi and that’s correct as it can’t render a baked texture for you (yet at least : ) ).

To make it work you bake your textures, save them then create a new texture on the material stack. You uncheck the first texture, enable the new one, set it to the saved backed texture, set its repeats to 1 x 1 and hugely important set its Mapping to UV for coordinates, map to (usually) UVMap and Projection to flat.

This will apply the baked texture in a manner allowing it to look in HiFi as it does in Blender once you’ve baked it. If you need to rebake the model you must change texture back to your base (first in stack) texture by checking the first and unchecking the second or you’ll get an error about a looped texture stack or something like that.

Yes - it’s confusing, and tedious and if you’re new to modelling in Blender likely to make little sense, but, it’s how I’ve gotten it to work in HiFi so I have ambient occlusion and visual textures matching what I want to see.

Also if you do not want to bake shadows you must not add any lamps! You need to enable AO baking at a setting of (usually) 0.1 multiplied, and enable environment lighting at 1.0 then for baking a clean AO (if using raytrace method) you want to increase samples to 15 to 25, but, that increases the bake time greatly. You pay for better looking bakes with time.

If none of this makes sense then you need to absorb every tutorial you can and practice until it does. There’s little that’s easy about this regardless of the program you use to model. I spent around a year banging my head against all this before I got past the OMG this will never work stage.

Also for shading display in Blender I saw somewhere the suggestion you should be in GLSL mode. No! you should be in Multitexture with environment lighting on and no lamps unless you want to cast specific lighting shadows in which case you still use Multitexture rendering mode but do add a lamp or multiple lamps.

@Judas @OmegaHeron

bit confused about @OmegaHeron story, but not see anything wrong what im doing right now. test that later again when i know the fix for next problem.

This can drive you pretty nuts, checked the entity properties. and i see what textures it wants to load. So i think try the seperate texture / object way. thats anyway not bad i think. Not sure whats wrong this time, but something is way to complex in hifi for the common user. blender is already hard, but importing it correctly in hifi is russian roulette for me. it woirks and the other time i fail complete. And now the new question,

Blender export FBX file fine. but it dont create the FBM texture files !

Watched judas last movie. thats how i did it the first time in SL, its a hell todo it that complex way. and you always get bake errors etc. going to test that. Still need to know how to make fbm files, hifi seems to want that.

I have made a test cube and doen what i do normal. and that works fine. so something must be screwed in the other project. i go redo that one. lucky its only simple flat textured prim.

And failed again.

I think i got it, thanks to @judas and @Omega​​Heron told. that way it seems to work. its a bit mad science you need todo. :wink: But need todo this many times to remember it good.