Building in VR is not... DISCUSSION/THOUGHTS/RANT

TL;DR
Neither the create menu nor shapes are actually viable tools for building from INSIDE VR.

The long version:
I decided to build two “simple” environments for two upcoming unconferences:
“smart cities” which is in two weeks and the Israeli game dev unconference in 3 weeks.
I want to show them off at the events with the Oculus and everything and maybe (finally?) get a server running so y’all can join in.

(what’s an UNconference? -> appendix)

For the game devs I’d like to recreate the main hall where the event takes place, since I just happen to have a panoramic view taken recently.

For the “smart cities” I decided to build a tiny little town at a scale of maybe 50:1, to also celebrate 30 years of SimCity!

Now I just spent an hour in VR trying to make a simple building out of a handful of blocks and all I got was a headache. Fortunately I already took antacids for unrelated reasons, so I only need some pain meds!

FYI I wanted to be able to say I did everything in VR but clearly that’s not happening.

Rant:
It sucks that we don’t have the tools to build in VR.
Okay, that’s a pretty weaksauce rant, sorry, I’m just not angry enough.

Discussion:
A list of just the issues I ran into in one hour.

• You can’t select an object and keep it selected without mishaps.
  • Very hard to move or rotate without messing up.
  • No tools to align objects.
  • Can’t clone with create menu.
  • Can’t multi select.
  • Using the tablet to enter values is painful even if you’re smart like me and made the tablet bigger.

I’m a total noob in 3D programs but I’m sure I could do the little plain building in Blender in under two minutes, which I couldn’t do in an hour inside HiFi.

Post discussion
Even before becoming active here I was thinking about some design app stuff that I’d like to do (with the help of a programmer), now I feel very very motivated to kidnap one of my friends and force him or her to code for me.

The end?

Appendix:
And unconference is an event in which here’s no curated schedule. Just come and write your name and lecture title on the whiteboard in an empty room/time slot.

Here’s a panoramic view of the ground floor of Hapoalim Bank training center, also their emergency off site. That’s where the money goes if Tel Aviv is destroyed by a nuke. Also where about 10 unconferences are hosted each year, thanks to Yossi Vardi’s clout.
No I don’t have his phone number so stop asking.

No, you’re not crazy, it has a bit of a false perspective thing.
And yes, they do have a very clever false skylight. I usually set up my VR equipment just behind the whiteboard, strategically close to the pizza.

Here’s a MASSIVE picture of a Simcity 2000 city.

A few more small things for the list of things you can’t do:

• Locate an entity from the list.
  • Teleport to an entity.
  • Hide/unhide from the list.