Coding project Judas and kevin

Kevin is trying to learn to code so I challenged him to make a specific improvement to the viewer.
Regardless of weather this change is adopted we want to try to make it
for the hell of it
I want a new check box in the edit.js entity properties.
I want this check box to make an animation play forever.
Previously I asked @chris how to make this happen and you simply have to change a false to true.
Should be fairly straightforward for a coder to do this.
But kevin and I are enthusiastic idiots.

What we have done is look at edit.js we found no reference to animation is playing
step 2 we looked at the script includes in edit.js and we found one of the library files called entity property dialogue box. which has a decoration of animation is playing on line 28
however when u look at animation is playing check box on line 61 it references a properties.animation is playing

when you look at the properties declarations there is no reference to loop = true or false
so were stuck.

Can we have a clue , is it tied to a json reference if so where and how do we proceed …

Prepare your dilithium crystal-thingy-majigs… Err wrong thing, I mean…

The specific setting you are looking for is animationSettings. under this you can find loop.

Entity also has the following animation related variables

animationURL: String url to anim,
animationPlaying: boolean, (this seems redundant, but i havent tested enough)
animationSettings: AnimationSetting Object

AnimationSetting Object contains

fps: number, speed of the animation
firstFrame: first frame to be played 
lastFrame: last frame to be played before loop or hold or stop.
frameIndex: int (current running frame)
running: boolean
hold: boolean
loop: boolean
startAutomatically: boolean

Basically the animation system is based on having a “single” bundled animation with all the possible animations, on the object and just alternating the firstFrame/ lastFrame.

Unfortunately:

This is related.
https://alphas.highfidelity.io/t/animation-settings-and-scripts/6027

Basically as of the moment you need to convert animation String information into a json object using the JSON helper.

Otherwise it would be as simple as:

properties = Entities.getEntityProperties(entityID);
properties.animationSettings.loop = false
Entities.editEntity(entityID, properties)

For now we have to do it using

Entities.editEntity(entityID, {
            animationSettings: '{ "fps": 13, "firstFrame": 0, "lastFrame": 100, "frameIndex": 0, "running": true, "hold": false, "loop": false, "startAutomatically":true}'
          });

if animationSettings is not defined, then there is no animation playing.

Thanks for the reply but you may have missed what i was getting at.
Were looking to create a new check box in the entity properties that automatically changes
"startAutomatically":false}
to
"startAutomatically":true}’’

Where does this code physically exist in what .js file specifically?
Entities.editEntity(entityID, {
animationSettings: ‘{ “fps”: 13, “firstFrame”: 0, “lastFrame”: 100, “frameIndex”: 0, “running”: true, “hold”: false, “loop”: false, “startAutomatically”:true}’
});

@KevinM​Thomas Example was from my teleporter script I was using: http://www.norteclabs.com/HF/labs/teleporter/teleporter.js which is available in Earth.

@Judas if you are talking about the Edit.js UI improvements, (specifically the checkbox you mention) its an HTML entity that triggers a JS event: same concepts still apply:
specifically https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/blob/master/examples/html/entityProperties.html
Practically all UI windows launched through scripts are done through .html :slight_smile:

So to add it youd need to work on properties from line 413 (this is selected object) and manipulate it on html events around #property-model-animation-settings

Thanks @Menithal if you picture us both with pipes and beards stood scratching our heads and muttering to eachother
we may be goin forwards again much like a child learning to ride a bicycle

<div class="model-section property">
            <span class="label">Animation Loop</span>
            <span class="value">
                <input type='checkbox' id="property-model-animation-playing">
            </span>
        </div>

We have added this to the html file you referernced. How do we now edit that loop value to TRUE rather than false? How do we make this so?

are you guys looking for a spoiler solution or just clues still?

in case clues – your overall task is a little more complicated than it might seem since it involves:

• knowing the current state of startAutomatically
  • which could be true, false, undefined or other (eg: junk values, “Error parsing JSON,” etc.)…
  • and doesn’t exist anywhere very concrete (instead it’s embedded into animationSettings string value)
  • reflecting that current state onto the checkbox
  • … just trace backwards in the code from elVisible.checked = ... for ideas…
  • updating the current state as the checkbox is checked/unchecked
  • which is the complicated part; you’ll probably want to think of animationSettings in terms of its HTML input box – using that input box’s .value as both your data source and data destination.
  • update pseudocode: ob = JSON.parse(...); ob.startAutomatically = checkbox.checked; animationsettings.value = JSON.stringify(ob)

Remember to also update the property-model-animation-playing to property-model-animation-loop. Otherwise you are triggering playing’s event.

Notice: pseudocode:

Heres a list of things you have to do:

1. Get the HTML element as a Javascript object, Similar to line 280 ( document.getElementById is quite standard JS method, )

2. You have to bind an Event listener to a change event to the javascript object, similar to elAnimationLoop.addEventListener(‘change’, function() )

3. You have to create a new property updater for animations Settings, similar to lines 31-36, but instead as a new function that only affects animationSettings properties (something akin to)

function createAnimationSettingsUpdateFunction( settings ){
    return function() {
    EventBridge.emitWebEvent(
    JSON.stringify({ “type”:“update”, “properties”:{“animationSettings”: settings }})
    );
    };
    }

and then calling in the checked event

createAnimationSettingsUpdateFunction( { animationLoop:  elAnimationLoop.checked } )

I want clues kev wants thoys to do it all for him :smiley:

Could we please have a live stream of you two trying to figure it out? :stuck_out_tongue:

that was suppose to play from 4.41

@thoys would be helpful. I did attempt to mod the entityProperties.html file however it is not connected. I reached out to @Menithal with my updated file and will try to learn.

in case curious to see what the parsing/stringifying situation would basically look like without the WebWindow aspect, here’s a quick example of using two helper functions to achieve something like animationSetting.fps += 1.