Creating svo.json Files for Market tutorial

Here you guys go since some of you were going confused, and because this doesnt seem to be very well explained by the Hifi Devs for the marketplace tutorial (or well, the exporting of the json files wasnt, everything else was nail on), and wasnt explained to me either, but I got this out through reverse engineering and putting one or more things together from the Alpha days. Since I am sorta of a Pathfinder and cutting down the jungle, here is clear, but non-linear way:

" *.svo.json" or just “json” is the save entity export format. " *.svo.json" arent actually required in that form anymore, as that was a bug. Its a format used for backing up Entities on the sandbox (Domain, or Stack Manager). However, to avoid any issues that you may have, we will keep on using .svo.json as the example.
You can now just submit .json entity files. instead, but you will have to mod them for the marketplace submissions:

To Create one, there are a few ways, This is just one of them:

1. Open up a separate browser window to the marketplace and login to prep for upload.
  2. Return back to High Fidelity, goto Settings > Developer Settings and make sure it is ticked.
  3. In Edit mode (with edit.js), select your entity:
  4. Now press edit tab on the top of the window, and click export entity
  5. This opens a file browser which you can use to navigate to your asset and save there. name it anything ending with .svo.json
  6. Open the marketplace, and upload your assets there, *with the exception of the .svo.json file. This is as accordance to the tutorial, follow it, until the point you are
    https://blog.highfidelity.com/blog/2016/7/8/host-your-content-for-free

Next, we will have to update the paths to the marketplace urls.

##This is unless you are already using the marketplace urls in your entity.

If you already do before the export step, and its not using your own file system or your own servers, you can skip steps 6-8

Open the .svo.json file in your favorite text editor.

With the marketplace open on a browser window, replace the assets referred in each step with their corresponding assets:

6 - Simply click on the asset you want to copy the url to on the list, then scroll down to the bottom of the list where you see Copy URL button, press it.

7 - Return back to the file: Depending on the asset you just copied, replace the path/url of that reference. Repeat 6 and 7 until you have all the asset references replaced in the *.svo.json to the marketplace hosted versions of themselves

You may have to do the same thing in your scripts, unless you used Script.relativePath helper and kept your folder structure the same.

8 - Save when done. *Now you can upload the .svo.json file and follow the rest of the marketplace tutorial, and submit the entity to review
https://blog.highfidelity.com/blog/2016/7/8/host-your-content-for-free and set the *.svo.json file into the main file.

You can the test it in works in world, even before it is submitted for review by Opening the marketplace in world:

and pressing the My Items under your profile dropdown. You can then select your Marketplace item, and then press get Item to see if it spawns in the world.

Enjoy.

New Marketplace
Contest: VR Pet Challenge!
Mini-Golf Challenge - Discussion

It’s stupid complex imagine doing this on eBay .the average computer user won’t be able to do this won’t want to do this and won’t make the effort to try .sorry to be the voice of negativity here .this is what happens when something is designed by coders not designers .this is why there
Is never anyone in hi-fi who isn’t paid .which is quite the business model.

read gooderer edit*
The upload procedure is unnecessarily complex. Imagine if Ebay was presented this way .The average computer user won’t be able to do this, won’t want to do this and won’t make the effort to try . Sorry to be the voice of negativity here but this is what happens when something is designed by coders not designers .The reason why there
is never anyone in High fidelity who isn’t paid is because its effectively inaccessible .which is quite the business model.

Honestly, if you upload the json file it should download the all the files referenced in the file and automatically map it in the marketplace instead. Instead of having to do it manually. It also baffels me why the Developer settings must be enable for you to find this export functionality as of this moment and why it isnt explained.

Ideally it would be:

1. Click on Entity
  2. Press Edit> Submit the Marketplace
  3. If above is using relative paths, client uploads the files of entity. If using absolute paths, those files are downloaded by the server
  4. Browser window opens, you can fill details.
  5. Submit for review

And then allow freaks like me to do it through this manual process.
Side note, your placement on periods is distracting.

Was. typing on my back on tablet thing :smiley:
Agrees… with. ur post tho…
It needs to work on. 2 levels nice… clean simple interface on the .top
…massively.flexible complexness. beneath for those who want it…

Thanks for that explanation describing the most Rube Goldberg approach of how things have to be done in HF. I’m sorry if this offends, but this is the kind of stuff one does in an alpha product. HF is beta now. It is time for beta quality processes and this one must be fixed.

Why are you apologizing? That is valid critism I share. It is something definitely needs heavy sanding down and then polish.

I detailed the entire manual process for marketplace submissions from local file system since HiFi is trying to avoid content referring to another external content thing for stuff submitted there to avoid the entire switch-n-bait issue, to avoid something from being swapped out with bollocks, forexample.

But this marketplace criticism probably best put in the new Marketplace thread. as this topic is about the tutorial.

Easier way would be to dev by always uploading the assets to the marketplace and then refer to those in the scripts and entity files, but people most likely wont do that because its too slow to develop assets and scripts with (especially scripts that tend to be iterated on constantly, or when you want to tweak how a model looks and see how it looks) and use local files until it is ready to be tested with everything in place. So yeah, it needs ideally stuff I detailed above.

Marketplace is not development platform. for that you can better use local disk or atp.

It still is a bit clumpsy workflow with marketplace, with a high fail error. besides you cannot test the content yourself. i tried that in review state. it’s possible another bug.

at the other side, when you have a finished animation, you can put that in your marketplace draft work. where’s the draft button ? and use that ur, in your script

Ita bigger problem that it takes very long before it get reviewed. And i not start with converting other projects before the ocean is published.

Thanks man! Exactly what I needed. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

I’m also am very thankful that you posted that tutorial. I was searching for the export button for too long now :slight_smile:
Maybe you could mention “root file” in you post. Because in the blog posts this name is used for the svo.json. But google doesn’t give any search results for that until now.