Domain server at Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

1. Is it possible to use Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS as domain server OS, or is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS required?
  2. Which repository must I use, that the server and the latest client protocol versions are always the same?

It would be ideal, if you can install packages with the command apt-get without compiling.

to 1) If yes: Is that the install method?:

to 1) compiling:

adduser --system --shell /bin/bash --disabled-password --group --home /home/hifi hifi
sudo su - hifi
git clone https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi.git
cd ~/hifi
mkdir build && cd build
cmake … -DSERVER_ONLY=TRUE
make assignment-client
make domain-server

As previously was no answer, I assume, that it is not possible to install the domain server on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS at the moment.

But I think, that HiFi should be runnable on a current LTS version to the official release. Is a change of the Ubuntu LTS version planned?

Hi @JuelsDreki , the support for 16.04.1 is just around the corner. As a matter of fact, I believe that not much is needed to have it working now. I’ll post an update here once I have reproducible steps available.

Not sure how helpful this will be since I’m on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS Desktop, but here is what I did to get interface, domain-server and assignment-client compiled:

• Installed qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.5.1.run into /opt/Qt5.5.1
  • git cloned the repo
  • git checkout RELEASE-NNNN
    • … using NNNN from latest Beta announcement (to align with official build protocol versions)
  • cmake -DQT_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.5.1/5.5/gcc_64/lib/cmake ..
  • … followed by a few rounds of discovering missing dependencies (and apt-get installing them)
  • make interface assignment-client domain-server

Built this way the binaries depend on libQtGui* and libX* .so’s, but only interface on an actual X11 display – assignment-client and domain-server instead work fine in “headless” mode.

Thank you very much for your answers. In the meantime I found a description of the compiling from Coal.