Earn Extra HFC by Submitting Items to the Marketplace Before October 1, 2018

Where have you seen that ?
It’s one of the other marketplace problems this days.
Your can only select POP.
What happend with CC0 and Creative common licenses ?
You cannot set that anymore.

“I am writing to inform you about your tweed fedora item in the Marketplace. As you have it right now you are using the old avatar attachment method of packaging a wearable as an fst. This is being deprecated in lieu of packaging the item in a json. If you bake in the textures to the fbx, then you can use the new avatar wearables menu to create a new wearable! I have placed it back into draft mode for you to fix up and resubmit. I look forward to seeing your tweed fedora again! If you have questions or concerns, do let us know.”

I added a simple hat… followed the online example and was told it was the old way and to submit it the new way. Why did you not tell me what that was or where to find this information? Why are we not updating the online documentation? It’s kind of redundant to ask people to submit items when the documentation leads to the wrong solutions. Please don’t waste my time anymore. I’m done until you assure me the online documentation is correct.

On top of the out of date documentation, there are two other things:

1. If they’re talking about baking the FBX with KTX textures, the oven isn’t installed by default in the steam builds. This was requested to be fixed a while ago for better compatibility with Menithal’s tools, yet as of this writing, it is still not addressed (just checked my install directory, still no oven and still no option to download JUST the oven).
  2. As of my recent investigation in relation to #1, KTX textures do not cache properly. This is, however, being looked at.
  3. If they are talking about ‘baking’ the textures into the FBX (meaning embedded), then that would also result in the FBX to be extra large, and I’m not sure if that is progressively loaded, which is inefficient.
  4. The irony with no FST compatibility is that they 100% ignored the fact that their auto convert system didn’t take into account of attachment based FSTs, which is why the one other avatar I used to wear a lot is broken due to this oversight. Nice to now know it was intentional.*

*- Yes I know that the solution for unusually shaped avatars was solved (ie anything with a tail), but I’m not a 3D modeler and I am one of the few who knows that.

Honestly, they should scrap the whole FBX solution and just go with GLTF. It is modern, open and more accessible than FBX.

Is there a thing somewhere comparing FBX with GLTF? What all does GLTF bring to the table that isn’t in FBX, come to that?

Reads through the whole thing Oh, wow! Sounds great!

And I can speak on personal experience on the issue of not all programs supporting Collada quite right. I was trying to convert something I’d converted from an SL linkset to a Collada, and convert that into an OBJ file in Bryce to use in another 3D program, and it came out a might screwy once exported as an OBJ, with parts of the object shifted around from where it was supposed to be. Or maybe the Collada object arrived INTO Bryce out of kilter, I forget exactly.

I wound up going to other Collada-to-OBJ converters, but pretty much all the Collada-to-OBJ converters I tried all introduced lots of flat rectangles onto the half-spheres and curves I’d made the object with, spoiling the look a bit. It later turned out the program I was intending to use those OBJ files in also supported Collada itself, natively. and the Collada objects looked way better, i.e, the spheres and curves were a lot smoother. (No flat planes! :smiley: )

But, yeah, it was pretty clear Collada brought its own limits, too. (If anyone’s wondering: The program I was ultimately making the things to go use in was Daz Studio, for use in a 3D-rendered comicbook narrative story I’m planning.)

FBX is fine and nothing wrong with, easy to use.
GLFT, i did read it a few times, but really, never seen support for it in any program. So, it would be a very bad chiice.

And embeddd textures in the fbx is faster loading then try to load 155 small files and get problems with to many ports in use and more.

Collada DAE is the most terrible format. but yes ooensim and secondlife use it. Still not for gltf because lack of support in siftware, when fbx is fine with embedded textures.

Stay with only fbx, a proprietary format when an open source solution to replace it is coming (glTF), that would be a bad choice.

There are plugins for Maya and Blender. I bet many other applications are porting solutions. GLTF is the new kid on the block but it is the only protocol gaining momentum. I see one huge benefit in the future of HiFi may be the ability to use Three.js or Babylon.js in our scripting. This would be huge as far as creating tools for building wolds, assets and avatars from within HiFi.

Hi @HapticMonkey,

Thank you for your reply! I am the new Documentation Manager at High Fidelity, just started last month. My first task is to work through our documentation and ensure that it is accurate for users like you. Feel free to let us know of areas that need the most work – I’ll be sure to take a look!

I would start by updating anything related to avatars and items uploaded to the marketplace. This is where people are going to have the most difficulty.

Thank you for getting back.

There are a lot of places where documentation is particularly missing and incomplete particularly in the creation of objects and in the scripting part.

A wiki (wikipedia-like) like that used by SecondLife (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal) or Minecraft would be a very good solution, provided that there are some high quality starting documents written by a coordinated team in SL.

Now the documentation is essentially inconsistent, incomplete, in some cases too detailed or advanced and in other cases completely inexistent. And it is scattered on various forum posts. The official documentation https://docs.highfidelity.com/ is difficult to navigate and to search, and offers ridiculously empty or too short stubs for vital scripting or creative tasks.

For example the following:

https://docs.highfidelity.com/create-and-explore/3d-modeling/materials/material-guide

This guide is essentially quite cryptic, I couldn’t’ understand how you can model a material from blender.

Scripting docs has some interesting examples for how to build a complete game with a bow and an arrow, or creating a spawner, but is missing an important guided learning program to do step by step other important tasks. Much of the power of the scripting I learnt delving in these forums and reverse engineering program published.

The existence of important scripts like chat.js, edit.js, luci.js and similar helpful tools, is practically completely hidden.

I do not like the design to. The sidebar takes very muhc screenspace away from the text. Yes i have bookmarks always open. not like to close it because thge text is moving tgo much to the left of the screen then. And that does not read comfy. Sad designers not test that.

My PiWiki i use for myself as private documentation is doing it much better, and still readable. And bookmark sidebar works faster and better then the menu one. so no reason to close it every time.

But i agree, it’s always hard to find things there.
And when you find it the are not usefull or incorrect.
Like the marketplace instructions.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.