To be honest, I’ve been beating against this non-stop since I built a new desktop system to replace my 4 year old Alienware laptop. While the laptop was a bit anemic for GPU (GTX660M) it has an i7 CPU which turns out to be far more important for HF than I ever imagined. New desktop system is i5 based with GTX970. I decided to go i5 to keep my budget happy thinking I’d upgrade to i7 later as skylake i7s drop in price. Worked on paper.
Here - it’s been a non-stop torture device. Initially Interface ran 70% CPU (CPU NOT core) running default scripts doing absolutely nothing - not even connected to a domain. Turns out there was an issue with how script engine yields time (or in this case did not) that was fixed. Now I get low 30% use doing nothing. That’s a better thing, not good, but better.
Next torture event. What @Balpien.Hammerer is talking about. Assets coming in can totally obliterate performance - especially with ATP on LAN. Loading standard HF home scene with Interface/Stack all on same machine or Interface on Windows/Stack on Linux over LAN illuminate mechanism. Content begins to load - you try to move and you get a meltdown. Screen freezes, CPU use goes redline and, very often, even GPU driver crashes as it can’t get enough CPU time to execute its CPU required functions. Standard HF home scene is worst case scenario in that it has a lot of physics overhead and graphics overhead and tons of entities. Assembling all this into a rezzed scene is heavy. Too heavy if you dare try to move while it’s doing so.
Why isn’t this noticed and paid more attention to? Maybe because with an HMD on you don’t dare move until the scene is stable or you’ll lose your lunch. Or - they all have i7 CPUs where the problem is much less severe.
Reports of this have been made - including descriptions, proof of mechanism data etc. Hopefully it will soon get some attention. In the meantime, crazy as it may sound, I found that setting maximum ATP bandwidth (on stack) to something fairly low like under .5Mb/s or less helps a lot. It’s a stupid hack - but it’s made things usable when I’m forced to work with standard home scene. Of course that only helps if you’re using ATP.
I did my traces with xperf and Window performance analyzer - it really really shows what’s happening and confirms cause(s).