Free Mesh Models

Here is a free mesh model of my House Of Rock .fbx build. Feel free download the source and you can modify it in .fbx, or .blend and upload in-world.

DOWNLOAD

Here is the homeshroom (made from a hollowed-out giant death-cap puffball - my own maniacle invention! Mwha ha ha!!).

And the model fbx is here. This version is public-domain. Enjoy.

(Oh, is there any way to make it look smoother? Without subdivisioning the model? - low triangle counts are good! :slight_smile: )

The texture is embedded in the model, but if anyone wants it separate:

Note: I recommend you take a copy rather than reference the one on my server as I reserve the right to change my server copy without notice!

Triangular sign. Public domain.

(Update: I learned how to apply multiple textures to a single object so was able to separate out the front texture from the rest, for easier swapping and greater resource efficiency - using grayscale and colour-reduced PNGs, and if you have multiple signs with different faces, they can all share the same back+pole texture).

Uses two external textures called trisign.png and trisignback.png in the same directory:

The sign post and sign edges are textured from the grey bar across the bottom of trisignback. The sign front is textured from trisign.

The post is a disconnected mesh relative to the sign, so should be easy to delete out in your 3D program of choice if you don’t want it.

Some alternative signs you can alter the image with if you like:

Share and enjoy!

(In an ideal world, the sign front would be changeable on an entity-by-entity basis from the entity editor - hint hint :wink: Being able to tint a grayscale texture from entity properties would be nice too - use a greyscale texture tinted yellow for the sign face for even smaller texture data).

Note: I recommend you take a copy rather than reference the one on my server as I reserve the right to change my server copy without notice!

One more for today. A rubber duck (no textures):

Just a static, un-rigged object. Put it in your bath or wear it as a hat!

I like the general rubbery blobby-ness of this one :smiley:

Public domain. Enjoy!

(UPDATE: I switched from a texture-map to materials - having learned how to use multiple materials properly - for a 33% reduction in file size. Possibly a more efficient render too, depending on how that stuff works! No visual difference.)

Essential supplies! (texture integrated) - Public domain.

That will default in as a 2m high bottle, which is probably enough! :stuck_out_tongue:

(and yes, you may have come across some of these in SL. I am rummaging through my old content-creation folder from back then).

Spherical paper lantern. (Untextured) - Public Domain.

(You will need to add your own lighting and string)

(Update: I have dropped the specular to something more papery than that shown above).

Iiiiit’s a classic! (embedded textures this time).

Here is a shopping trolley (high detail). No textures used. Public Domain.

I built it for my swamp. Because it really isn’t a swamp without a shopping trolley in it!

Put them in your mall, back alley, or floating abandoned in deepest space!

This one took a while (most of a day). I found one very similar PubDom on Google 3D Warehouse, but when I de-constructed it, it was a bit of a mess. I used that as a template to rebuild it almost completely with improvements such as: much neater placement of triangles around circular components, good symmetry, far fewer triangles in general (I was able to get an identical-looking piece for about 1/3 the triangle count!). Be aware: at just shy of 10,000 triangles it is still pretty heavy!

A minor compromise in the name of draw-efficiency: the basket grill is at a 5cm spacing instead of the 2.5cm of a real trolley. (This was also the case with the model I … um … modelled this … model … off, and I believe the denser mesh would have looked a bit odd anyway, despite its realism). Oh yes, that wire cage is individual wires, not a textured box (which is a solution you could mod in if you want to severely drop down the triangle count).

I also built the wheels+wheel-brackets and also the basket-back-flap (so, all the potentially moving parts) as independent meshes, so if someone had need to rig it, that should be quite possible.

(Oops: I just noticed one of the red rubber bits above the furthest wheel is missing from the image - it is there, honest!, but must have fallen out of render range for components that small). I have now combined those into the main-frame mesh so that doesn’t happen).

Lister: We’re on a mining ship, three million years into deep space… can someone explain to me where the smeg I got this traffic cone?
The Cat: Hey! It’s not a good night unless you get a traffic cone!
- Red Dwarf, Grant Naylor, BBC-TV

Traffic Cone. No textures. Public domain.

Another nice simple one. Made with loving attention to neat and efficient triangulation!

(UPDATE: I knocked off about 25% of triangles by halving the radial resolution of the inside surface of the cone - yes, it is a hollow cone, just like the real ones: you can look down through the hole in the top or - mesh physics pending - turn it upside down and toss little spheres into the big end! I figured detail - smoothness - was less important on this surface!)

A lot of models here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/77589

Thanx. Most useful.

Though I bet they are not as lovingly constructed as mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to admit @glenalec - I have enjoyed the pieces you posted here! You can use the signs, shopping cart and cones to make a HiFi “Cart Rally” and see who wins!

Very first object in my domain? The no idiots sign! Oh wait…that includes me!

oh that’s a great idea Coal! Love it! Thanks for the models Glen!