GCC5 unhappy with AnimNodeLoader.cpp.o

Probably not a general GCC5 issue as a week ago my first compile under GCC5 went through flawlessly. However since the below has persisted for a few days I assume most people are not using GCC5 and are not encountering the issue.

Building CXX object libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp.o
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp: In function ‘bool processStateMachineNode(AnimNode::Pointer, const QJsonObject&, const QString&, const QUrl&)’:
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:78:16: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
         return nullptr;                                                 \
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:281:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_STRING’
     READ_STRING(currentState, jsonObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
     ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:286:16: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
         return nullptr;
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:305:20: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
             return nullptr;
                    ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:78:16: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:309:9: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_STRING’
         READ_STRING(id, stateObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
         ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:105:16: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:310:9: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_FLOAT’
         READ_FLOAT(interpTarget, stateObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
         ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:105:16: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:311:9: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_FLOAT’
         READ_FLOAT(interpDuration, stateObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
         ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:321:20: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
             return nullptr;
                    ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:340:20: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
             return nullptr;
                    ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:347:24: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
                 return nullptr;
                        ^
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:351:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_STRING’
             READ_STRING(var, transitionObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
             ^
                ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:352:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘READ_STRING’
             READ_STRING(state, transitionObj, nodeId, jsonUrl);
             ^
/usr/src/hifi/libraries/animation/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp:366:20: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
             return nullptr;
                    ^
libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/build.make:123: recipe for target 'libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/src/AnimNodeLoader.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1342: recipe for target 'libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [libraries/animation/CMakeFiles/animation.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:75: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks, for the bug report, I’ll have a PR to fix this ASAP, it’s probably as simple as casting to bool or returning false instead of nullptr in the appropriate locations.

It’s not as simple as a cast, because it’s in a macro that does return nullptr that’s used in both functions that return bool and in functions that return a pointer.

I actually made a pull request for this: https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/pull/5731

I solved it with https://github.com/ChristophHaag/hifi/commit/ddcee763ca68db0c96c5721c42c85df881d22374 but I don’t think that’s a very nice solution.

Hmm got this issue as well on Fedora 22.

Nice solution or not, my compile went through this morning.
Thanks.

(Now I’m just waiting for MESA11 to be released, then hit the Debian/unstable repository, and I am - hopefully - ready to roll again). :smile:

Then maybe I’ll finally get to know if I’m the only one only getting a black window with mesa in vr mode: https://alphas.highfidelity.io/t/linux-mesa-and-oculus-rift-sdk/6716/7