"Getting Started with Scripting" is a nonstarter

I started with the most basic tutorial possible, “Getting Started with Scripting.” I followed the directions and loaded/ran the cube creation script … but nothing happens. The situation isn’t made any better by the “fractured fonts” and a new, annoying issue: No entity beyond a meter or two in front of me is visible. The cubes scattered around my starting area are completely invisible until I’m virtually on top of them.
Question 2: Is there an Interface setting to adjust draw distance?
Question 1: What am I doing wrong with my script?

I’m on a Mac running the latest (7710) build.
I’m anxious to get started with HiFi so any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! Can you post up a copy of the script you used? You can mail me directly if you don’t want to make it public.
Let’s start with there and then look into the other issues.

As far as adjusting draw distance, look for the LOD tool under developer>render>LOD tools, and see if that changes what you are looking at.

If a primitive object is real small it will also LOD.

Here is the code I used.
According to Developer --> Render --> LOD Tools, my LOD setting is “20:500 or 0.040 of default distance for average vision.”

I changed it to 20:41 and voila! I can see a bunch of blue cubes. I guess the script DID work. (There’s a print() statement to send output to the console. How do I see output? When I go to Edit --> Console …, a small window opens but all it ever shows is "Script Engine starting:about:console and never, ever shows anything more.)

Ok … so I changed my LOD, quit Interface, and re-started. I got this message: “Due to the complexity of the content, the level of detail has been decreased. You can now see 20:500 or 0.040 of default distance for average vision.” So … do I have to tweak LOD each time I startup Interface?

Hi @Yrdi.Mihr
Yup your script looks good! Nice first start :slight_smile:

The console thing got me when I first started Hifi too! It’s not like Chrome and the inspect tool with logs going directly there, although it is a great place to test things out. If you write code there, then generally you will see the logs there as well. In fact everything you have in that script you showed me can be pasted there.

For scripts that you run, you will find the logs in one of two places,
Look under Developer for Logs, and there is also a log window that you can use that is meant for HMD (HMD friendly).

Regarding the LOD, do you mind describing what kind of system you are using for reference?

Will let you know if there is a way to set that permanently, but I don’t believe so off hand.

Little extra to add on that from one of our devs:

what you are setting is a minimum FPS
the default is 30hz in desktop and 45Hz in hmd
the fact that the notifications still show up is expected when you are in a domain with too much to show to hold the minimum FPS

Yup; I found the script’s output in Developer --> Script Log (HMD friendly) …
For now, I primarily will be using HiFi on a 15" 2013 Retina MBP running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
2.7GHz i7, 16 GB memory, NVIDIA GT 650M
This is where I’m doing all my initial testing and exploring …

If my tweak of the LOD doesn’t stick between Interface invocations, might it be something I can script which is run each time Interface starts?

Try setting Settings > LOD… > Minimum desktop FPS and Minimum HMD FPS values to 0. This should turn off automatic LOD adjustment, if I recall correctly.

Thank you SO much! My students were getting confused and frustrated by this function. Varying computers, some couldn’t see their projects - some couldn’t see each other… Set the LOD to 0 and class went on with everyone happy. Upon re-entry, both LOD fields set themselves back to 1 - but that is perfectly fine with us. On slower computers, we can deal with lower graphic quality of objects. It’s when they disappear altogether (in the disguise of “help”) - that’s when I hear it from students. :wink: