Going out Staying in Judas's Blog

At least with the current job I have… I can’t really see any benefits that Slack or Skype don’t already bring to the table. Like, what is the upper advantage to have a vr office, where you have a virtual representation doing work as you do work? Is it offering the ability for your displays to be mirrored in the virtual office? If that’s the case, there’s software many corporations already use for that and don’t require having to virtually peak inside of Joe’s virtual cubicle.

Which is another thing to think about: virtual offices don’t have to confine themselves to the usual designs of physical ones, but would be easier to design due to familiarity. Would a virtual office of a large company simply mirror it’s own building, and if so, just give employees virtually the same things they already have, or would they go crazy and try to take advantage of the virtual in virtual reality?

Anyway, going back to the offerings of using such tools, say it’s just the vanilla Hifi we are all familiar with: How could a normal, corporate office that is looking to embrace newer technologies benefit from a virtual office space? How does it make it easier to answer phones, send notices or emails, find out why Lucy’s insurance policy has the wrong ID number? If the scope of the whole idea isn’t for the larger companies, then what is it for? Why would a programmer want to have excess baggage on their system when working on say a game or CPU intensive task? Would an artist honestly trade-off longer rendering times just so they can have a co-worker come into their virtual office for the latest gossip? How would a boss or manager get around learning to walk around a virtual hallway to keep an eye on things? Would they embrace the possibility of teleporting around? How would employees feel that at any moment, Mr or Ms. Manager can just spawn from nowhere and bring out their best Agent Smith impersonation?

On top of all of that… wasn’t this something Second Life pitched with education and other such services? I’m getting a bit of Deja Vu, and while Hifi does offer much better tools and customization, along with better audio management, it’s just hard to think on the benefits that are actually present and are in any company’s interest.

2 Likes

In my experience, Slack is still lacking, and I am not entirely clear why, but it may be to do with latency in responses. I mean you can do a lot of things, like sharing screens and calling, but it takes time to do them and in my experience we only do those things in meetings and they are planned out ahead of time, not something you do willy-nilly in day to day communication, where as sitting next to someone, I can point at my screen and ask them simply “what is this”, or “why are you doing this here” and they can look at my screen and quickly understand what I am asking.

It also happens that when I type things out rather than saying them in words, I tend to edit what I say over and over to correct for mistakes and to simplify what I say to make sure the other person understands it simply.

That isn’t to say that any of that necessarily improves in VR.

So one thing I’ve thought about experimenting with but never had a chance to try since it is kind of a weird request, is to simply sit on an open call during a remote work session, and if I come across a need to communicate, simply talk instead of typing a message. There have been points I’ve come close to this before, when I was working with someone on a problem on the phone, but it isn’t an all day thing but rather just to work through something.

In terms of pitches, the market seems to favor environmentalism these days, and I think having a remote VR workforce would save a lot more in terms of GHG emissions than electric cars.

2 Likes

April 2014
re posts my second blog post, to see whats changed in what, i want out of hifi
"Why am I here?

What is High Fidelity firstly it’s obviously named after the
kids from fame song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFSMLdmkdTM
that started me thinking.

Creativity and co-creation.

What used to be great about second life was creativity. I
used to go in there and build things and it was good.

I say used to because now it doesn’t work that way , all
that stuffs there still but times have changed building is now done outside in
3d programmes. I miss building socially with people stood around telling me I’m
doing it wrong.

What I told people around SL and was constantly ignored was
that I want Blender (a free open source
3D prog) to be inside Second life. It can’t be done, yaa boring, that’s not
my problem. I wanna…

HF needs to be a flexible space in which I can work and
play.

I know all you tek nerds programming Hf are using git hub to
share code. Can’t you do that in world? Have The Matrix up on the wall somewhere
drop the code in then you can stand
around sucking your teeth pointing at all the brackets and squiggly lines and
telling each other than you’re doing it wrong. Hell even run HF as a virtual machine
in HF.

Music.

Snooping through the
git hub there’s talk about midi support .For the non-music nerd it’s the way
electric pianos talk to each other.

I would like to be able to jam with some muso friends I have
over there in the States. Lag has always made this impossible in Skype and the
like it doesn’t work. If we’re not all hearing things at the same time as everyone
else music gets tricky. From my days messing around recording music using Cubase
delays of more than about 10ms makes it nigh on impossible to play and even
sing in tune.

So jamming with friends or even strangers is a thing I’d
like to do. Writing songs together would need a shared notepad that ties back
into the shared coding idea. Collaboratively writing an angsty ballad about how
girls don’t like me because I play video games etc.

Talking of High Fidelity I want all the chat to be at 24 bit
192 so I can jam with Neil Young on his Pono.

Art, well the same thing again. One of the most fun things I
did in SL was a Dr Sketchys party. Basically we would sit around and draw each
other using Photoshop or pens and paper then share the results in Flikr. I want
to do this with the drawing and sharing all in world.

Knocks on your door , are you staying in to play?"

7 Likes

So
@philip
When will hifi be on the iphone?
I ventured outside the otherday and everone seems to be walking about hunched over these little black rectangles
After making enquiries they call them mobile phones
they seem popular

1 Like

Can’t see why not: Qt does allow compiling of iOS apps. Just you are at the mercy of the Apple Store’s acceptance, so testing isn’t exactly as easy as Android development.

Zombie land

Hifi is both dead and alive lately

The userbase is as large as it ever was

In that the people who always came still always come

The people who where here for the spectacle came and went.

The question that I don’t have an answer to is do the developers want us here?

They seem to be off touting the lofty ideal that remote working is the future

It maybe they certainly feel remote.

I showed great restraint on Facebook the other day

Hifi posted that

Now we sacked half our staff they get to stay home all day

But as a fairly regular user hifi were never very inclusive

They were more like the relative who only calls when they want something

But I’m equally aware of becoming the council tenant-I went to the toilet 3 weeks ago and the council still haven’t been around to flush it.meh

DO YOU WANT US HERE ?

It’s not that you’ve stayed too long
It’s not that you’ve done something wrong
It’s not your fault
But you embarrass yourself

Hand me down
It’s better when you’re not around
You feel good
And you look like you should
But you will never make us proud

So look at you with your worn out shoes
Living proof evolution’s through