Going out Staying in Judas's Blog

sadly yes, and enough to warrent people scripting attacks
its like they know hifi represents the greatest threat to their platform so are doing everything possible to wreck it.
problem is cus its open sorce it dosent actually require the company to exist and grow.

Or learn to secure your domains better. There’s that.

i dissagree completly
that method is entering a armsrace with the coders they are an arrgoant bunch obessed with wrecking everything
The whitelist method in hifi has never been defeated and is nice and simple
and more importantly
you have total controll who gets in or who gets kicked out
in a regular doman its all alts and proixies and all that rubbish

create a white list
lock out the assholes
like hifi did

Why am i still in hifi?
Remaining users have been accused of being a cult of some kind lol.
Thats maybe true.
Why havent I jumped over to a different platform?
I’m interested in building in 3d im interested in emerging technology
and i’m interested in the educational potential of VR.
All these things i can explore securly in hifi right now
I dont require anyones permission to go about my buisness,
and I like that. I dont have to upload my work to somone elses server to to do any of this.
Im not seeing any features on other platforms that make me want to jump ship.
Im old and jaded and dont base my opinions on popularity.
I love the philosopical discussions I have in here.
I look at the forums and discords for some of the other vr platforms and keep myself up to speed with whats going on

I have no interest in joining in with the discussions over there
I see these worlds walking the paths hifi has allready explored and have a fair idea where they lead.
Im not convinced anyone has the recpie for the special sauce just right yet.

Lately im beginning to think that placing hifi amongst the gamer enviroment of steam and oculus is the wrong crowd. I would like to see hifi being developed more by the univertisy kinda demographic as the internet was. They have a different set of requirments to gamers and I feel they would be more constructivly productive.

5 Likes

I still stand by my statements. Setting one’s domains to private to counter security concerns, when the idea is to let people in, is just a backwards approach to building a platform unless the true intention of the domain is to only be for a small group. When a new person comes in and sees Goto be a barren wasteland, it is very unlikely they will stick around. Of all the reviews I’ve seen, the ghost town state of the system is a major factor.

When a person can take over a domain and ruin it, it means that the security practices weren’t followed. If you build a public domain, you accept the responsibility of keeping things safe for users coming in, due to the nature on how Hifi domains work versus usual websites (IE: Hifi’s ability to edit a domain in real time whereas most websites are draft and publish lifecycles). Locking a domain, using a good filter, and establishing a list of acceptable scripts are just some of the most basic things to take into consideration.

With my own project, these are things I have to take into consideration as well, due to the scope of it. I intend it to be public, and the fact it can spin a virtual server up does mean I have to be careful on how that all works. The room for abuse is very high, and that’s a risk I have to take into account. But do I say “Oh, people will try to abuse the system and I should just give up and let only select people in?” No, because that’s just bowing down to the source of the problem.

If the group’s intention is to build a locked down society for just itself, yet dabble with the possibility of it catching on… I’m sorry, but that is a tactic I do not see working. Part of why I praise the portal flight recorder (The Quest) is because it makes it far easier for people to jump in and try VR without a powerful machine, just as I hope my goal makes it easier to spin up a world and explore without needing any server knowledge. I find it both confusing and disheartening that this group would want to further seclude who hasn’t left yet also build additional barriers to prevent entry for possible new people, be it creators or explorers of a new metaverse.

Also, High Fidelity, Inc’s domains are ‘locked down’ due to the domains being exclusive for testing and for staff communication. In a testing environment and based on the fact that their current intended use of their domains is for themselves is understandable as mentioned above. Maybe in the future a public domain will appear to allow a walk around of what they have finished, but that is up to them to decide.

Likewise, I’m sorry but at this point, Hifi isn’t being advertised for anything honestly useful, and claiming that advertising to the ‘gamer’ environment was somehow a mistake is very misleading. Their attempts at education did show promise as witnessed with the tomb tour and the reasons for VR enhancing the experience making sense. Likewise, most VR tools are geared with gaming in mind, so claiming to not advertise to that demographic is a wise choice is like the fuel industry claiming their attempts to advertise to the car market was a mistake.

From what I see, there seems to be two kinds of people: people who want to build walls and improve what they have within those walls, and those who wish to build a foundation and leave the doors open. I may not agree with your decision to close your doors, but do not state that a system is failing when the conditions you created are the exact cause of failure. To state that no one is coming in and blaming everything else when you purposefully made it so no one can join in is contradicting.

2 Likes

Both Fran’s domains have been targeted
What is your solution to users using proxy servers to re gain access? @FlameSoulis
When you go to a cinema or a event rl buying a ticket is the norm
Why isn’t this ok for our events?
Is your second like sim open to all?

Is hifi a Cult?
In the beginning there was nothing

Philip commanded let there be lag and there was lag

If hifi is a cult then the salon is the g spot

It’s a cult of course it’s a cult every virtual world a faction, each world is a different cult

Other worlds send out their fanatics to wipe us from the face of the metaverse

If we don’t worship their creator and their creation

We pray for better resolution

We pray for swifter processing

I have never been involved with a community so willing to stoop lower than this to wreak vengeance and destruction on its own people

I have never met more blasphemers willing to doubt the will of Philip

I recommend we go forth into the metaverse and mess with the shit of the other metaverses

As they have messed with ours agaisnt us

They shall have no other founder than Philip

For he has the pearly white teeth and sensible hair

And he can kick the arse of your founder

So I call forth the highfidelitians to write on social networks about how poor the competition is

Cos this is howeth the sheep feel powerful

Thy world shall have no more than a dozen users

Thou shall not have an alt in thy competing shitty virtual world

He who corrected my spelling shall be the grammar nazi and cast into the pit of the ‘Last gen’

Beware the Sansarian for he is not a journalist but in the pay of the linden cult and marketer and self-promoter

Beware of the unfamiliar blogger, he maketh out he ith bigging up the community but he speaks with a forked tongue and has nothing but garbage to say about everything and everyone

Beware of judas well because he’s called judas for a start, that surely should be some kind of warning sign right there.

And remember

No one wins unless everyone wins

6 Likes

We need to be off the oculus market place and steam

They are attracting the wrong crowd we should be on Linked in and similar sites

What

Why

Because our intended demographic will get the wrong idea about the platform

If you skim the reviews on Steam they are all written by kids and social misfits. Usually with a grudge against the world.

How can we launch a platform aimed at remote working opportunities when you have a bunch of furries spitting venom at the place because it doesn’t meet whatever deranged idea, they have about what hifi should be?

Business we’re looking to build our remote working team

Googles hifi and finds 200 reviews from people complaining that they tried it but no body gave them the attention they felt they deserved.

Pull them off those platforms they haven’t brought in any users. Vr is on the back burner anyway

Next thing on rant list

Hifi has massive potential as an option to remove the daily commute.

This is an environmental saving opportunity, even Greta Thunberg seems to spend her time traveling around the world speaking to people.

We should be leading by example

Use hifi kill the commute

Kill the business trip

You don’t need to take that trip every time

I have ranted before that having a vr conference not in vr is just stupid.

Last thing on the rant list

Hifi when are you going to have a god damn open day and let us in to have a look

I know u don’t value our little community, but we are interested to see what you’re on with.

4 Likes

and maybe an Open Day by invitation? You know whom the supporters are.

2 Likes

As I understand it, the company is strictly differentiating between “Virtual Workspaces” which is all about spatial audio for desktop and “Open Source VR” which has rendered itself useless (non profitable) and probably will be taken off Steam as soon as new fees there will exceed the expenses of an employee going through the termination process.

As far as I can tell, there are no differences between the Workspaces and the Open Source VR except for the scripts used. That is to say that if you went into a virtual workspace with the same version created from the OSVR project, it will run just fine. Think of Workspaces more of a slimmed down version of OSVR without the create tool shown by default, market most likely also not visible, etc. Things that would normally appear on our end most likely do not on theirs since the priorities are different.

Or, in other words, you can basically experience the virtual workplaces if you can get your hands on what scripts are in use.

Thar u go don’t invite flame to the new build island he can see it in the code like the guy in the matrix