Gravity. What is it good for?

@chris @ctrlaltdavid
So, I’m tinkering around in the Sandbox, and I can’t help but feel that gravity is somehow a linear phenomena in High Fidelity.

If I set the Y vector of gravity for an entity, let’s say, -1 I would expect gravity to act on this entity in the way normal physics would. 9.8 meters per second squared. Hence, you travel a much further distance given a unit of positive time.

This doesn’t appear to be the situation with entities in the sandbox. If I set gravity to -1 in the Y axis the ball falls at a constant velocity with no acceleration. Gravity as a force is an acceleration and should not need additional input on the edit entity panel (separate section for acceleration).

I will update this after adding -9.8 to the acceleration section and -1.0 to the Y gravity and we’ll see what we get…

update: cannot get acceleration value to “stick” onto entity. Constant reset to 0.0 changing category to bug.

update: I will assume by seeing Thoys “like” this post, he is in agreement the gravity situation is indeed a bit bugged and needs remedy.

The video of Rosedale shooting basketball. How is this possible if gravity is quasi-functional? Perhaps sandbox integration is not proper? Could we see a tutorial?

Confirmed valid use of gravity will give you the expected result. Thanks Chris!
While messing with the acceleration values it never occurred to me to try swapping the 9.8 into the gravity section. I apologize for missing something so simple, but after about 15 minutes of watching the acceleration number vanish, I kinda lost interest. I wish I would have just tried that. Feels a bit silly now. Thanks for the info! moved from bugs to “uncategorized”

@AlphaVersionD Gravity should perform as expected.

We do not set gravity as default “earth”, therefore -1 does not correlate to -9.8. For earth gravity you need to put in -9.8. This will reflect the gravity of earth. You also need to turn of any linear dampening = 0.

Therefore to replicate the earths gravity within a vacuum. Set Y = -9.8 and linear dampening = 0