Hardware used in videos

Hi

On February I will give a talk with title “Ready Player Two, OpenStack in the metaverse” ( https://t3chfest.uc3m.es/2017/programa/ ).
I will talk about creating an inworld computer in OpenSim but I think that hifi could be the best choice. I don’t have enough time to program the same in hifi but I want to talk last 10 minutes about hifi.

I want to talk about the philosopy, its repository, architecture ( broken link here http://blog.highfidelity.com/blog/2014/04/high-fidelity-system-architecture at “download as PDF”) and show some videos.

If people see the videos maybe they will ask me about hardware so … could you say me what hardware makes possible:

Thank you

HF has a very good repository of videos on YouTube on their channel. Look here:

One good video that demonstrates hand controller hardware is this one. It shows what it looks like in RL and VR together:

This video does not show fingers moving independently.

You asked to see VR hardware. That video shows it. If you want to find something that sows leap motion specifically, rummage through the video playlist. I’m sure you will find something. Also, there are other residents who do use magic leap. They might be willing to make a short demo.

As to Emily singing, that was a video made back when facial tracking used to be a part of the interface app. The hardware used was either RGBD cameras (RealSense) or regular WEB cams using DDE software (you can search for those terms). That software was removed from the interface app many months ago.

To use the fingers with the leap motion, you first would need the leap motion itself. If you plan to use it with an HMD (Vive, Oculus, etc), you can either mount it onto the HMD itself or keep it on your desk, noting that your hands will ONLY be tracked if over the Leap Motion in the latter case.

Using the Leap Motion in Hifi is as simple as plugging it into your computer (after installing the drivers), starting the Interface, then:

• If using the Leap Motion on your desk, placing your hands over the device will begin tracking your hands and fingers.
  • If using an HMD with the Leap Motion attached, then you will need to go to Settings and enable the Developer settings. From there (and I am doing this from memory, so I do apologize), go to the Leap Motion section and enable the “Attached to HMD” option. From there, your hands and fingers will be tracked as long as they are in front of your view.

I don’t think there is a script that needs to be loaded for the Leap Motion to work on the Interface anymore like in older times, but anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

Hi

This is the end of my presentation (minute 40). Emily, you were in the air!

Only 15 people came. :-/ It seems that High Fidelity is not very well known in my country but the reaction to videos of hifi were very good. The People were very impressed.

I’m going to rearrange the presentation an retry it next month.

You are doing a good job.

Thank you very much to all.

That was a very good survey of the more popular virtual worlds along with things to come. I should point out, and you did mention it in the talk, that HF externalizes the entire build/create process and that it presently has the highest/steepest learning curve of any virtual word platform. So, the videos that show people manipulating/creating objects in-world are just marketing. It does not reflect reality. En algun tiemp todo esto cambias. Cuando, no se.

You have seen all! Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

I will add those two appointments next time.
But I don’t think that building objects inworld must be very important. I think that the most important thing is to be able to import in world tons of 3D models that exists in Internet.
All program languages have a highest learning curve but internet is build with them and works well. The vast mayority of people does not want to build anything and those people are the key to create a successfull project.

Marketing is very important. On the Internet does not win the project that hits harder. Win the project that hits first.

If a closed source project is better positionated than a open source project, the closed source wins.

I don’t want the world have the same problem that has with closed source social networks.