Hifi newb has questions, docs don't seem to answer

I’m fairly new to Hifi, and even newer to sandbox/world editing. I come from VRChat, but know the world building is entirely different for Hifi. I’ve played around in the sample sandbox and learned a few things, both on my own and with help from docs or googling. There remains some issues, however:

1. To start with the most trivial problem, is it possible to set up a sandbox with nothing but a ground plane, essentially from scratch, instead of the sample welcome world?

2. How is asset collision determined? Is it just automatically generated based on the asset’s model? Could I have specific meshes of that model with collision and some without? (ie. importing an entire house model, which may have curtains. Curtains shouldn’t physically block someone). Could I possibly supply the asset with a custom collision mesh, similar to what Unity does?

3. Can double sided materials be used? If so, how can I use such a shader?

Thanks for the help!

Hello Laphicet!

To start with the most trivial problem, is it possible to set up a sandbox with nothing but a ground plane, essentially from scratch, instead of the sample welcome world

Yes! I suggest going on the Marketplace and getting this environment. It (and other environments) will replace your existing sandbox.

How is asset collision determined? Is it just automatically generated based on the asset’s model? Could I have specific meshes of that model with collision and some without? (ie. importing an entire house model, which may have curtains. Curtains shouldn’t physically block someone). Could I possibly supply the asset with a custom collision mesh, similar to what Unity does?

Yep! You set the way you want an entity to collide in the entity properties. You can choose the curtain entity and assign it ‘No collider’… for something concave (with an inside) like a house or a bowl you might choose ‘Exact’… for something like a cannonball you might want to choose sphere or perhaps for a bowling pin, choose ‘Good’ which will generate an invisible convex hull around the item which approximates its shape

Note that with the ‘Exact collider’ mode, avatars and dynamic entities will collide with it, but the exact collider item itself shouldn’t be made dynamic. And yep you can choose ‘Compound’ and provide a collider mesh yourself as an .obj file and use that as the collision hull too

Awesome! I look forward to it once this heat dies down