If you have an existing hifi blender add on installed, uninstall it first from blender, as the directories have been renamed.
To install, goto User Preferences> Add-ons and press Install Add-on from File from the buttom of the window
After that a new button appears on the High Fidelity tool set called Convert MMD Avatar
How to Import
To import MMD and export them as Avatars, you need a couple of tools:
Opening the Zip file
Open up bandizip, press Open Archive and open the mmd model zip file you want to extract
Before pressing Extract, make sure your “Code Page” is set to Japanese
Make sure to read the MMD Model’s Readme:
Some artists explicitly state they do not want redistribution, nor modification, nor do they want to be put into another game other than MMD, or put into Adult situations. Sure it is the internet, but respect should be given to these creators.
The Readmes usually have an English translation below the japanese one if not, more of it will be visible in the read me after import to blender.
Importing to Blender
After Extracting the zip file and reading the read me, open up a new scene in Blender
- Clean the scene, you can press A, then X, then left mouse button
- Goto File > import .pmd and navigate to the directory
- Before Importing Make sure the import settings are as follows:
Scale: 0.1 (Very, important)
Fix IK Links, Rename Bones / Translate bones should all be disabled.
MIP maps is voluntary.
You can then save these settings by pressing the plus sign above morphs and assigning it a name. It will then be available from the dropdown
- After importing to scene, in the 3D View, navigate to the High Fidelity Tab.
- Save Blend file to a directory you want to use for your avatar
- Press Convert MMD Avatar. No need to have anything selected.
- After pressing the button, Blender will start doing stuff in the foreground. Wait until the console window has dissapeared. It will do alot of work.
The bones will correct them selves and materials will combine them selves as much as possible.
TGA textures will be converted to png automatically,
and all textures used will be moved to textures folder relative to the model.
After it is done, play around with the bones in pose mode to see if everything binded correctly
- Select armature
- Press retarget pose button
- After that, select the entire scene (A in object mode)
- Export as FBX.
- Make sure to set PathMode to Copy, and press the little box next to the drop down so that it becomes a folder with a file
Then package in high fidelity and bring it in.
Please note that
As this is still a preview version, alot of the stuff is still manual, and some may still stay as manual. Some mmd models will also simply break, but that is why testing them is a good idea
A proper tutorial will be made once the add on is feature ready-ish
Update to the plugin dev:
Its still being developed but there is a need of mass testing: If you want to try out the latest dev version with (MikuMiku dance) mmd avatars, keep reading this post.
I will later on start doing the releases on github once the release is ready. but remove the old module from blender first before installing this.
Those who have earlier look into the add on should download the above as the preview has been updated.
If you find any mmd model that doesnt work or has missing translations in bone names or bone textures, feel free to put a DM to me with a link to the mmd model so that I can check out what went wrong. I just got done with the first iteration of the mmd converter
Button to turn all materials \ a material fullbright or shadeless
Button to turn selected bones into physical “flow” naming (as according to avatar spec)
Mixamo bone Converter button (removes mixamo:: prefix from bones)
FST / FBX Export
- Blendshape clean up (clean up model to only have blendshapes that are hifi compatable)
- Allow Oven Baking via Easy Bake
MMD Converter improvements to come
- Auto detection of MMD Avatar so fix mmd avatar button will not show up if “Converted”
More Texture Assignment improvements (Better detection of multi textures truncating them if in the same space)
- More translations after examples
- Consolidate Naming conventions
- Refactor iteration
New Long Term ideas
Experimental Roadmap features that may or may not end up in Commercial Version or have better iterations end up in there
- Texture Atlas: Allow auto-atlassing of textures with in Blender