High Fidelity is starting on monitor NR.1 instead of using main display setting

So, am not nuts or forgot to move it back.
It’s a bug in high fidelity.

The problem is that when i have the secondary monitor on.
High fidelity is starting every time on that screen.
This already did created a problem because it
did also happen when the screen where turned off,
and i where puzlzing why high fidelity where only showing the button in taskbar.

It looks like someone made a wrong setting that tells high fidelity to open always on the main screen ? Yes my main screen seems for windows the secondairy screen. Because windows is to stupid to handle main screen left and rigth screen on the right side with taskbar on the left screen.

Still high fidelity must not be locked to the main display (NR. 1)
In my case screen (NR. 2) is set in windows as main screen, but high fidelity.

High Fidelity need to ignore screen number and use the setting main screen.

Hope this is fixed in next version. because it’s just as annoying as the tablet. you keep moving things.

New info, i just turned the secondary monitor on, while high fidelity is running.
And when i pressed the maximize button to get high fidelity aligned full screen again.

Interface did move itself automatic to the secondary screen.
This problem seems to be appeared since beta 6095

First, this is not true. You can set up the taskbar on all monitors like this:

Here is an example of that. In this case one screen is my laptop, the other screen is my 55" TV:

I find interface comes up on the last monitor screen it was on when shut down. And that is correct behavior and complies with the Windows UX standard.

The third issue is indeed a problem. Interface places the windows off-screen if it was closed on a monitor that has been removed. Windows 10 has a specific status code to the viewport placement call that informs the caller the viewport is not visible. It is then up to the caller to decide whether to relocate the viewport to a visible area. In this one regard, Interface does not comply with the Windows 10 UX standard. It should be fixed.

BTW, interface works greater in multi-monitor mode. Example:

@Richardus, I did find one bug in the Windows 10 taskbar settings which requires a second monitor to be active before it lets you change the taskbar setting. I have reported this bug to the Windows UX team. It is a minor bug so it may take a while before it gets scheduled into a Windows update.

Not true, i do not want 2 taskbars. because i use a taskbar on the right side of the screen. The person at microsoft that where thinking a taskbar on the bopttom is good the need to fire. a vertical taskbar can handle much more open programns with some text next to the icons. Because icon only is never a good identifier.

There’s no option to windows to tell on wich screen the taskbar need to be as far i know.

Here’s my screen setup.

And i neve rfound a betetr setup.
Also when you boot the display is on different screen as far i remember and that is why i used this setup also. Some weird things did happen if i use the default srcreen configuration windows wants. with main screen right and secondary left.

As far i remember windows always assign NR. 1 to the most left screen.
That is why the main display is set to screen NR.2 if it’s enabled both. Otherwise the main screen is Nr. 1 Also remember that most of the time the secondary screen is not turned on, it use energy and only show empty screen.

Besides like i wrote above. i just did test it again.

• Start with single screen turned on and start high fidelity.
  • Then turn the second screen on
  • After that click maximize button.
  • The interface window is moving to the secondary screen.

My setup is fine. interface is doing wrong things.

Like this perhaps?:

There was never a case in windows 10 where the taskbar was always forced to the bottom. You can set it to top, bottom, left or right.

It is true that you are limited to taskbar on main screen or task bar on all screens. As I recall in the UX meetings I went to, that was done because the likelihood of secondary screens not being present was very high, and they did not want to end up with a no taskbar present case. In retrospect that could have been handled by temp moving the taskbar to whatever screen is active.

But why we talk about taskbars.
The real problem is interface.ex that not handle things correct.

Otherwise it would not spontanic move from the main screen to the secondry screen one when you did open it on the main screen and after that you turned it on and maximized it.

I have never seen any application doing this bad thing.
Yes, applictions move back to your main screen if secondairy is turned off, that is the right way. High fidelity is doing in some cases the opposite. Just wrong implementation of what is the main default screen.

my taskbar is on the main screen right side only. all other settings in windows do wrong things. And tht worked fine up to now.

Oh! I forgot to mention that you can drag the taskbar from one screen to another. Just click on an empty part of the task bar then drag it to the screen you want it on. When you do that you can also select which side of the screen you want it on. In this example I moved the single taskbar from my primary laptop screen bottom to the secondary screen (my TV) right side:

Just for extra dev info.

With secundairy monitor turned off. Windows looks like this.

When i turn the secundairy screen on while system is running, the normal way. This is the layout windows makes from it after detecting the screen is turned on. Taskbar. are not moving from screen. that still keeps on the same screen.

Both screens are connected by DisplayPort.

And today it happens right now again that high fidelity is on the wrong onitor that is not turned on. In other words , high fideiuty did not detect the currect main monitor.

Also i suspect that the combination steamVR and high fiudelity is screwing my default audio device many times.

You have this quite incorrect, Richardus. It is not about the main monitor. It is about two things:

• interface remembering which was that last display it was on (that part is correct and compliant to Windows 10 standards), choosing it on the next launch of the app;
  • interface failing to check if the chosen display is active, hence it does not move its window to an active display.

That is the bug.