High Fidelity need extra mesh upload format

I don’t trust the FBX exporter from blender (2.75) the results are random, also in the fbx previewer it’s not always correct. this all is with embed textures. if you use separate textures things seems fine.

I only want top avoid separate textures off corse it can save bandwidth. because it make managing more complex. I don’t like to share textures between models. because there’s a change the are not the same ones too. but just slightly different.

But the mean reason is that i don’t trust fbx and users can only use blender for development it’s really needed we use open import format. I looked for fun on the maya site. but nobody is going to use that. you cannot buy it, montlhy payment are expensive overpriced.

So i have only the fbx previewer and fbx exporter from autodesk to compare things. and the results are random, comparted with how things look in blender.

Mabye time for DAE format ?
Any idea’s suggestion. more have the feelings the fbx exporter in blender is wacky ?

Hi @Richardus.Raymaker have you also tried .obj ?

While OBJ works for simple shapes, it is quite outdated and so far in High Fidelity, it seems to lose its natural scale and vertex colors assigned to it.

It also doesn’t support the variety features the FBX or Collada can support: This is why Collada looks interesting.

As far as I understand, main issue with Collada is the fact that has a huge overhead that can increase file size, and therefore memory and disk use drastically and the xml mark up also adds more padding to the file size: It is after all not designed to be a delivery format, instead an exchange one. But Collada suffers from issues as well in Blender: and as a standard has not been updated for over 7 years. So while it has more features than OBJ, it does have its own issues too.

Instead I suggest keeping an eye on Khrono’s groups next format, glTF, but for now not doing anything as its still a draft standard. Basically it is Collada as a delivery format, and is developed for WebGL / Web 3D Content. There is even a collada converter to the format…

More to read here http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/collada-becomes-iso-standard

Have to remember though that the current FBX preview (FBX Review) is using even a -newer- FBX standard compared to which Blender and High Fidelity are reverse engineered from. So results will vary even with FBX export versions.

I think the main issue currently is the fact the both Blender and High Fidelity use reverse-engineered versions of the FBX SDK: Because of both are only importing/Exporting by a fraction of the SDK, there a bound to be some issues.

Wonders which developer coded the hifi fbx support ,could we get them to a alpha meeting?
At times I feel like they just found it by the side of the road.

@Judas the other thing to note, the support for FBX is not yet finished. It is still a WIP.

Chris

Which fbx standard is the end goal for it?
I was trying out fuze with michelles help the other day, it exports a bunch of maps that hifi dosent seem to support (which make the specularity go nuts. You can pull these out in Blender and fix the shine but then i end up in rig hell lol. That blender script may fix it haven’t had the time to check.

Understanding the standard would allow us all to learn how to create these different maps and let us work toward creating work that will eventually showcase what hifi will be capable of

@Judas basically the one that the FBX converter uses. One thing to try would be to export out as COLLADA from Blender and then convert to FBX using the FBX converter.

Oh, that’s one option i have not tried. only obj -> fbx

So on the C++ side both .OBJ and .FBX files get parsed into a common in-memory binary structure.

That representation is relatively straightforward and is basically specified within a single .h header.

What if we called that representation an alternative mesh file format? I think this would be way easier to export on the Blender side (even if from scratch – especially when compared to “fixing” FBX or Collada).

And for ./interface to “import” this kind of mesh file would be easier too – essentially just reading bytes into the same memory structures it already prefers.

For history’s sake, ill add here what I encountered when trying to use Blender -> Collada -> FBX workflow using my Fen avatar as an stress test during the meeting:

• Rotating any other part than the armature may not adhere to the rest of the avatar, and avatar will then becomes creature of Dead Space or simply pants, eye balls and teeth fall off.
  • Blend shapes are not successfully translating, even if triangulation is disabled in blender Collada export / them included in export
  • Skeleton still requires Blender Rotation Fixes.
  • Collision is still similar to Blender FBX
  • Transparency materials are lost in this process
  • Transformation type is Matrix. everything else seems to blow up the model when animated.

As a side note, in all case the previewer looked fine.

I was just playing with the viewer part of fbx convert and I cant get it to load any static fbx meshes. Rigged avatars load fine
any ideas?

@Judas works for me but i was struggling with getting it to display avatars so good to know that avatars work for you and my problem lies elsewhere :frowning:

once i stopped pressing the play button on your photo i realised it was a photo.
Its refusing to load models that load fine in hifi.
Which means according to chris’s explanation of the end goal that all my models are defective and I should start over

lol - and sorry because now i realise this is the standalone viewer - when i downloaded the ‘FBXConverter 2013.2’ and tried that - the Autodesk demos worked , but the above bottle.fbx wouldn’t display - groans the politics of software where nothing talks to anything else

Uhhh… Screams. what does that mean ?!