High Fidelity Vive Feedback

Okay, now that I finally got my paws on these puppies I went around and took them for a spin in various games, and eventually arriving into testing them into High Fidelity.

##Notes:

1. High Fidelity can be launched standalone, but it still needs to be calibrated through steamVR. It also doesn’t do the handy switching of audio devices or mirroring of sounds as when starting through SteamVR does. I think it starts SteamVR through the OpenVR Wrapper, since I have my SteamVR desktop active.
  2. High Fidelity can be launched through steamVR if added to it manually.
  3. Default Mic is not that great by default due to lack of popfilter. Combined with SteamVR Automatic Gain Control, which is completely not neccessary. Turning this off, and adding a sock on it. Its actually quite decent with that physical hack.
  4. You navigate via the Left Track Pad
  5. Right track pad is used to snap turn and jump.
  6. Right hand menu button opens up menu. Navigating this menu is buggy.

##Feedback:

• Relaunch window is annoying in VR. Sometimes I look at my SteamVR menu going why isn’t it starting. Then i look at my screen through the camera and see an extra window. so i press enter.
  • Spatial audio feel reversed compared to other experiences (left is right , right is left.)
  • UI stays still at the centre of the room… should be following the position of user hips.
  • Right pad rotation shouldn’t be needed if the UI was more concise to ones body rotation and more compressed to the FOV, instead of having to turn 270 degrees to see the Full UI
  • You cannot interact with the UI at all making it difficult to create or do anything.
  • Needs a way to pause while in headset without going to keyboard.
  • Right controller doesn’t open the menu where pointing, instead at the centre of the room, and direction where the room is rotated to.
  • Toggle Grab Keys: Not sure having to press the grab keys constantly is a good idea. Id prefer toggle (once to hold) and pressing again triggering the current method, when on release it will drop / throw the object.
  • Sandbox and Playa judder. Oh boy. Sometimes the frame rates just dip bad. bad enough for drop all the way from 90 to 9 fps. Seems to occur when loading something. What bothers me is that it stays down and suddenly I cannot see a thing because my frames went down to 9 and stay there even thought I do not see anything. This occurs on build 4672 and Beta RC2.
  • Various FPS dips causing weird fade flickering between SteamVR and High Fidelity, when frames drop below recommended
  • Two Handed grabbing currently isnt possible. when grab button is pressed, the object snaps to the hand, but, grabbing with another key seems to override this. It doesnt behave as expected. (should be, attached to dominant hand. Rotating to the direction of the poing that was grabbed with the other hand)
  • Adjustment of attachment with when grabbed in another hand is pretty nifty. (other key grab, other trigger move)
  • Need more locomotion methods than just the left trackpad: Teleporting and Hooking should be methods. Probably gonna work on those, when I get the time this week. Will be adding a bid once I have the time to work on it.
  • if squating, IK behavior goes crazy. Same when sitting on the floor. Could probably have a script that simply makes you avatar sit on the ground if head position is low enough.or even laydown of lower. Probably will make an animation set that does just that. :slight_smile:

Running on a 780 TI self OCed to 1100 Mhz. So power shouldnt be an issue, considering it has equal memory to a 970, while having clock speeds exceeding 980 TI.

Do you mean you have to install Steam and accept their very nasty TOS?

Well right now there is no other calibration tool available that I know of… as soon as someone makes one then yes, for now no. I havent yet tried to launch High Fidelity without SteamVR though. its just unwieldy to start it without it tho with the headset without a 3D interface. I havent also tried using the ViveHome, which the OpenVR version from HTC (which they have similar ToS to valve).

Also the Controllers and the Lighthouse tech after all is Valves Tech, so we will see what happens eventually. For now the pioneers have to work with it. I do not mind it my self as Ive had an account for 10 years with them, but some may take to it.

Ok, i already where guessing that. So Vive is off my list. because ui already could get a free game. but not want a useless steam account. There already enough companies that want accounts.

Stupid people at HTC that the work from steam and not just standalone program

Thanks for that info. It looks like I’ll not be using Rift or Vive HMDs for a long while until all this gets sorted out.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/issues/8

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/3gpjxt/possible_to_install_steamvr_without_steam/?

I think you’ll find your answers on these links it’s just how people implement it is the question

I prefer the new rift to the vive.
I haven’t tried either but I’m sure I’m right and your wrong.

More notes:

1. High fidelity can be launched standalone, but it still needs to be calibrated through steamVR. It also doesnt do the handy switching of audio devices or mirroring of sounds as when starting through steamvr does. I think it starts steamvr though as I have the SteamVR desktop when exiting.
  2. If i get bumped by a physical object below me, its hard to grab that same object due to floor without distance grabbing…
  3. Needs a way to pause while in headset without going to keyboard.
  4. Relaunch window is annoying. Sometimes I look at my SteamVR menu going why isnt it starting. Then i look at my screen through the camera and see an extra window. so i press enter.
  5. No ability to interact with the menus with the controls.
  6. Touch pad doesnt open the menu where pointing, instead at the center, and direciton where the room is rotated to.
  7. Not sure having to press the grab keys constantly is a good idea. Id prefer toggle (once to hold) and pressing again triggering the current method, when on release it will drop / throw the object.
  8. Sandbox judder. Oh boy. Sometimes the framerates just dip bad in the sandbox. bad enough for drop all the way from 90 to 9 fps. What is up with this.

your argument is invalid. :stuck_out_tongue:

But the vive gives your your financial details and sexual preferences to the nsa FACT

I’m pretty sure the NSA knows every double damned naughty site I go to already… oO

Additional comments to keep the thread on track:

• Need more locamotion methods than just the left trackpad: Teleporting and Hooking should be methods. Probably gonna work on those.

The picture above really looks like a ball catcher. Where’s the big ping pong balll so you can catch it.

ADD: OMG, just presed play. it really is. :laughing:

Yeah, currently the UI sphere is centered about the room so you can lean into it to read small text better. Also, having the UI move with your head (like wearing a lampshade) is disorienting in room scale. So we settled on our current design as a compromise really.

You can try out our VERY work in progress script handControllerMouse.js

Our vive support right now for asynchronous time warp is shoddy, we will be addressing this in the next few weeks. We’ve mostly been focusing on Oculus support over Vive, so ATM the Rift has the best experience.

Oddly enough I had the judder as well when using the DK2, it simply never went away. ATW “smoothens” it out, but I do not think it solves the issue of when something is loading and it causing the frames to dip. The Judder in the Vive is when it starts flickering between the SteamVR desktop and High Fidelity, which looks really wierd, but fortunately doesnt feel bad.

The worst part is when the frames just go down for no reason and never go up at all, causing the LOD to go down steeply until nothing remains, while the frames still remain below 9 fps. I have no idea what exactly causes that. I can easilly hit 90 fps in Playa with everything loaded, but then when I look around It suddenly dips

Now about the UI, I was thinking it should rotate along with the calculate hip position, and not the head. I still think having it 270-360 degrees is too much and it should be within 180 degrees instead. with a seated experience, having to turn all the way around is really bad just see your mic status and the buttons on the right hand side.

Anyway, ill give the handControllerMouse a try later this week.

Or, do it the hololens and SwordArt Online way: The UI stays put in space until after a threshold degrees off alignment or a threshold linear distance. Then it smoothly moves it’s new center-point anchor position/rotation.

I might experiment with the ui more as time goes on. Id like to make alternative methods of navigation and create/adjust content.

There is a lack of discussion of visual UI metaphors.

For example, though I can see the desire to have old-school menus displayed in-world (as HF does it today), I can also see much nicer visual displays that use self-haptic feedback mechanisms. Plain language: many kinds of controls and menu selections ought to be anchored to one’s wrists or hands where tapping the hand (the real hand) gives you real touch feedback. Then as you move your hand around and also toward your eyes, the menus, controls follow. That is so much better than leaning inward to peer at a floating menu item.

Going to have to check if the Controller API has an haptic feedback function that could define strength over time allowing for various feedbacks.