Okay, now that I finally got my paws on these puppies I went around and took them for a spin in various games, and eventually arriving into testing them into High Fidelity.
- High Fidelity can be launched standalone, but it still needs to be calibrated through steamVR. It also doesn’t do the handy switching of audio devices or mirroring of sounds as when starting through SteamVR does. I think it starts SteamVR through the OpenVR Wrapper, since I have my SteamVR desktop active.
- High Fidelity can be launched through steamVR if added to it manually.
- Default Mic is not that great by default due to lack of popfilter. Combined with SteamVR Automatic Gain Control, which is completely not neccessary. Turning this off, and adding a sock on it. Its actually quite decent with that physical hack.
- You navigate via the Left Track Pad
- Right track pad is used to snap turn and jump.
- Right hand menu button opens up menu. Navigating this menu is buggy.
- Relaunch window is annoying in VR. Sometimes I look at my SteamVR menu going why isn’t it starting. Then i look at my screen through the camera and see an extra window. so i press enter.
- Spatial audio feel reversed compared to other experiences (left is right , right is left.)
- UI stays still at the centre of the room… should be following the position of user hips.
- Right pad rotation shouldn’t be needed if the UI was more concise to ones body rotation and more compressed to the FOV, instead of having to turn 270 degrees to see the Full UI
- You cannot interact with the UI at all making it difficult to create or do anything.
- Needs a way to pause while in headset without going to keyboard.
- Right controller doesn’t open the menu where pointing, instead at the centre of the room, and direction where the room is rotated to.
- Toggle Grab Keys: Not sure having to press the grab keys constantly is a good idea. Id prefer toggle (once to hold) and pressing again triggering the current method, when on release it will drop / throw the object.
- Sandbox and Playa judder. Oh boy. Sometimes the frame rates just dip bad. bad enough for drop all the way from 90 to 9 fps. Seems to occur when loading something. What bothers me is that it stays down and suddenly I cannot see a thing because my frames went down to 9 and stay there even thought I do not see anything. This occurs on build 4672 and Beta RC2.
- Various FPS dips causing weird fade flickering between SteamVR and High Fidelity, when frames drop below recommended
- Two Handed grabbing currently isnt possible. when grab button is pressed, the object snaps to the hand, but, grabbing with another key seems to override this. It doesnt behave as expected. (should be, attached to dominant hand. Rotating to the direction of the poing that was grabbed with the other hand)
- Adjustment of attachment with when grabbed in another hand is pretty nifty. (other key grab, other trigger move)
- Need more locomotion methods than just the left trackpad: Teleporting and Hooking should be methods. Probably gonna work on those, when I get the time this week. Will be adding a bid once I have the time to work on it.
- if squating, IK behavior goes crazy. Same when sitting on the floor. Could probably have a script that simply makes you avatar sit on the ground if head position is low enough.or even laydown of lower. Probably will make an animation set that does just that.
Running on a 780 TI self OCed to 1100 Mhz. So power shouldnt be an issue, considering it has equal memory to a 970, while having clock speeds exceeding 980 TI.