How large is the sandbox?

HI! I’m brand new here so forgive a couple of noob questions.

1. How large is the sandbox that we are given with our domain? From my conversation in the public area last night, I (think) I understood that if I have my own server, the area is, in miles, 20x20x20.

2. The downside of my personal server for me is that I know nothing about running a server or writing/entering a single line of code. Am I correct to understand that something called Digital Ocean may be an alternative to having my own machine. I did go to their website, but it was somewhat incomprehensible to me.

Thank you for your patience with a very raw noob. :slight_smile:

JP

Domain is 32768 meters (32KM) x 32768 meters (32KM)
Never tried the height but lets say thats 32KM to.
It’s center is 0 and from there it’s going -16384 to 16384 meters.

Thanks Richardus! So if I have a domain that large, what are the advantages of having my own server or using Digital Ocean?

I host my own. I’d say the advantage is being able to provide the resources you need when you need them. HDD space? add some. Need more bandwidth? Speak to your ISP. It’s a bit of a control freak thing sure, but it has it’s benefits being able to pull the plug when/if I need to because the machine is literally across the room.

-my two cents.

mines 33x33 thats 1 louder

But your Stonehenge monument is in danger of being crushed by a dwarf!

That depends on how fast your home connection is, if you have a maximum data usage / month. I did put mine on VPS in datacenter. Because that cost me the same as running it from home with faster internet and energy costs.

I think it’s just what is cheaper energy costs + possible more costs for faster internet.

I will need to look into data charges. But my ISP up and down speeds are 300 Mbs down and 30 Mbs up.

Pretty need, sounds like the same my ISP can give here in the netherlands. Then running it from home must work fine for a long time.

It’s also, maybe, worth mentioning the Sandbox is setup having its origin at center (0,0,0) and goes -16384,16384,-16384 to 16384,16384,16384. So, yes – you have 32768 units (meters) in all 3 axis.

Keep in mind, if you begin to use space far from origin (0,0,0) – you can run into problems – floating point rounding errors can lead to oddities trying to precisely place small objects at exact positions toward the extremes. That seems more a problem with the edit tools than underlying architecture, but, either way it can be a problem.

Your upstream bandwidth at 30Mb/s will limit maximal visitors. Ignoring asset transfers (if you use ATP) - you’ll need about 2Mb/s per avatar present (not precise – I haven’t actually measured used bandwidth per avatar in a while – it might be a little lighter now). If using ATP asset server each visitor will consume a large portion of your outbound bandwidth downloading your scene on their first visit (or any subsequent visit if objects not cached). This is why I use either a digital ocean droplet or Linode droplet for anything public – my locally hosted domains are strictly for testing and I wouldn’t expect to have more than 2 or 3 avatars concurrently, which is about all my upstream home net connection could handle, if that.

Long story short - if all you care about is maybe having 2 or 3 visitors plus yourself then host it at home. If you want more than that then you’ll need to get servers onto machines with much better bandwidth.

How big is a world in High Fidelity

That 2Mb/s is very close to what I have measured. About half of that portion is the audio. The other half is avatar expression and limb movement and entity fill-in activity. This is steady state bandwidth which assumes all scene presences have downloaded all assets in their view. So, for a 30Mb/s upload connection, expect no more than 15 avatars that have already visited and cached your domain contents. If you expect visitors, drop that to 7 avatars to allow 15Mb/sec to be available for new arrivals. This is where scene complexity can greatly contribute to experience lag. 100MB of scene data at 15Mb/s will take one new visitor a little over one minute to download.

So yes, unless you have a 50-100Mb/s upload network connection at home, do not expect your domain to host many avatars. This is why placing your domain on a large net-pipe hosting service is so important. The large pipe handles the brief high bandwidth spikes causes by visitors. I think this is the biggest thing to understand about hosting virtual worlds, that you need infrastructure with huge spike capacity to handle new visitor asset caching.

Max number of avatars in Sandbox?

Thank! I actually understood 99% of what your wrote. :wink: I’ll look into using a droplet. One followup question: Is my sandbox considered a "locally hosted domain’? Sorry for such noob questions, but I am learning.

JP

Thanks for the feedback! It pretty much mirrored what OmegaHeron said.