In-world meeting today at 2 PM PST

Join us at Playa at 2 PM PST / 9 PM GMT for today’s in-world meeting. We can talk about

Mac version for DK2
Worklist tasks - Inventory system, suggestions
Hackathon
Beta 4904 - got any problems or comments?

And your suggestions are very welcome!

Cheers
Caitlyn

developer-network ram cache any idea what do these do? should I mess with them?

whats a nack packet

Could it mean Not Acknowledged packet ?

It’s used in null-gun games where a hit derezzes everything in a certain radius. They are also called nack-nack guns, and they require sending nack packets to confirm the hits.

Wait, that’s not what we learned in my networking class… :wink:

Official response is it’s something we don’t need anymore, thrown in there by a dev for a specific couple of tests, and should be removed (along with a lot of other stuff on the developer menu)

:slight_smile:

Cache sizes: It a dev feature I used for testing over a year ago. Be aware that they are purposely not stored in the settings and so won’t persist across restarts.

NACK packet are used to communicate when you don’t receive expected packets. As @Richardus.Raymaker said, it means “Not Acknowledged”. It’s also an old dev feature used for testing that would probably destroy the earth if anybody ever turned it on.

Usually I would caution you not to touch the “Developer” menu settings unless you know what you’re doing.
Lots of old time-bombs in there!

So, somewhere down in the Deep Magic, there’s dragons and basilisks? :smiley:

see! a nack-nack gun.

There’s for a while now some annoying geiger sound when you walk on playa.

sound was in and out lots of lag and gunfire
was hard work. What was
said about the changes to the sound was exciting,better still that it
wont compromise the bitrate with compression.

Hey all, thanks for coming to today’s meeting!

Here’s a quick summary from today’s meeting. Feel free to add more

Topics
HFAC sound codec coming soon with 75% less bandwidth at no noticeable cost of sound quality or latency
Storing data on the cloud / inventory
Need for terrain or procedural mesh deformation from JS
New version of Makehuman!
Vive hand controller issues
Alternative ways to move around in-world incl. Philip’s new rocket hands
handControllerPointer.js slowdown

Issues/Bugs discussed in 4904
Reports of consistently lower performance
Texture memory / GPU issue https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/issues/7951
Sticky key/rotation bug
Geiger-Counter style sound on playa when walking
Hand attachments re-scale based on bone scale of avatar
System loading assets 17 KM away out of view on Sandbox

Feature requests:
Mute the mic by default
Use default Windows audio settings as an option in audio
Fix all the bugs
Sound attenuation issues

Misc
Philip recommended checking out The Lab on Vive for interaction metaphors
Menithal recommended The Gallery on Vive particularly for its its Inventory system
Let’s document a workflow pipeline for a MakeHuman 1.2 to HF path

Please feel free to add comments below and I’ll add them/resummarize.

Thanks again!
Caitlyn

Some of the great brainstorming ideas I heard mentioned in passing also seem noteworthy:

• The possibility of taking in-world 360° snapshots.
  • Metaverse Directory – challenges/opportunities like indexing, search, opt-in/out, editorial responsibility, etc.
  • Friend-of-a-Friend style Domain access controls.
  • Roaming profile data – like certain settings that follow the User between workstations.
  • Menithal’s “carry-on” backpack idea – like easy access for the Avatar to a private stash of goodies.
  • Storage Integrations – so User could themselves connect Dropbox, Google Docs, Onedrive, etc. as a backing store.

Storage Integrations

– so User could themselves connect Dropbox, Google Docs, Onedrive, etc. as a backing store.

Interface has a lot of settings including the important avatar and attachments that go out of sync when switching between computers or even different versions of interface. I ask that interface add a settings integration feature in which one can specify which cloud storage to use to store and retrieve those settings. The settings store would be keyed off of the user login name.

Well, we definitely need a way to detect what external object or script might be causing an av to be running an animation, and revoke it.