Initial Guidance Request

Hi,
The forum asked for a brief profile …

I’m 68 - with background in medical imaging, signal processing. I’m writing a novel about a mathematician and a jungian psychotherapist who decide to collaborate in creating a virtual “therapeutic theatre” - the mathematician (who first appears as the patient) is on a quest to meet the therapist “for real”. The idea is that the reader can follow url’s into parts of the worlds they create …to varying degrees depending on their hardware equipment level … as I expect you grasp already the therapy world is an allegory for the messed up threatened world we all currently live in …therefore I am hoping the reader interacts in the worlds to explore what can be done…you might say I am attempting to extend the medium of the novel to allow the creative reader or perhaps record/distribute the creativity of the reader …(because obviously all reading is creative - that’s why people do it?)

So far so insanely ambitious …I’m only just getting my feet wet with the VR part - I’m wondering how the system here is related to the WebVR initiative/standard - if at all? As I understand it the webVR allows javascript programming and the screens are viewable using google goggles type equipment.

Could you experienced users and experts on VR give me some pro’s and cons on the different platforms - how do you think things are going to develop?

William.

A short summary:

Mobile VR: less freedom inside content, lower price, more accessibility. I started working with the Cardboard a years ago when it came out, and was able to get 500 of them for a science museum installation, bringing it to a ton of people. Now I can bring a Daydream View or Oculus Go with me on a plane to show some content to my friends.

High end VR:
Higher interactivity of content, higher price, but I need a dedicated space (meaning I need to move my living room around and I dislike that). The is also more presence felt when I’m meeting with people in VR, and experiencing something in the same virtual space.

IMHO a lot of content can be viewed on a flat screen, off your face, and still be immersive. But things like Beat Saber, where you need to interact with your hands, it’s so worth the higher end VR. I would never get that same experience with a flat screen and gesture tracking. Nevermind the fact the fatigue associated with in-air gestures.

To progress, we need better haptic technology, better gesture tracking, and less intrusive hardware.

Some references you might want to check out:

Thanks -how about high fidelity itself? Will it support both platforms do you think?

Unfortunately I can’t promise what platforms we’ll support or not support, but I can say that our ultimate goal is to provide cross platform support. We already support a variety of devices and peripherals including Rift, Vive, Windows MR devices, Leap Motion, Sixense controllers, gamepads… I may have missed one or two.

You can find more info on this in our docs: https://docs.highfidelity.com/create-and-explore/explore-interface/menu/configure-your-hand-controllers