Letterbox Script Idea

I had an idea for a temporary solution to the absent private messaging system inspired by Habitat. A user could write a letter (Basically, text on a cube) which could be delivered to a user’s mailbox (if present) on their domain/sanbox(?). The mailbox would be a physical object designated to “hold” the letters until they can be retrieved.

If the user is not online, and neither is their domain/sandbox, then the letter would be “held” on a server until the user logs in and then is dropped at the user’s feet when they come online.

The letter would have a restriction that would make it only be able to be “opened” by the recipient, transferring ownership of the letter object to them. Once the letter is opened, it can be made to be viewable by anyone, and able to be destroyed by the recipient. This means that letters can also become a physical, displayable object if the recipient wishes to do so. Like snapshots, these can become intimate and collectable evidence of human interaction on HF.

I have not done a lick of scripting on here so far, thus do not know how far-fetched this idea is as of yet. Let me know what y’all think of it.

The problem is the same as any other messaging system attempted so far… people need to install a ‘mailbox’ or a script, which only some people do. After a few days, since most of the people don’t have it, people just tend to stop to use it at all.

If there is not a ‘built-in’ solution implemented then it’s not going to work.

I like your idea of physical letters, but I’m not sure it could work based on “domain”, as a user can have one, many or no domain at all.

Hmm okay, and also rezzing an item at people’s feet would mean that each domain the user visits would have to give the permissions to that script as well…

I have an alternative idea; a bulletin board that people can put messages on. I was inspired by the greeter sign script and the bulletin boards from Animal Crossing. Admins of the domain and people who write the messages can remove the messages if needed.

So, an old idea I had ages ago may give you better inspiration towards what you are looking for (that being said, I am speaking of an idea that is very rough and by no means represents any future features; this is simply food for thought).

While yes, the idea would be a script that would run on the domains of people who want to be part of the system, but to add security (and trust) to the system, you form links between domains, in that domain A must add a link to domain B, who must also in turn add a link to domain A. This is to prevent people from forming links they may not want. Using this, you can now connect domains together into a small mesh network of sorts.

In regards to your mail, you can protect it by using a public/private key system. This means no one can just pry into your mail, even if another server is holding onto the mail on your behalf. This can be part of a connections like system, where you could also exchange public keys so you can be in touch with each other.

Again, just a random idea I had ages ago, though I think the domain bulletin board idea was performed very well on another domain that was up awhile ago… I forget which, but it also had an in world survey you could take. I know if you operate a digital ocean server, you can access the console and install additional services (like apache/nginx) and from there let the domain also act as a web front for the bulletin concept.

As for a truly in world solution… I’m not sure. I guess you could have an entity script operated by the server and store everything in memory… but then it’d only exist until the server reboots. You could also just edit the JSON of the bulletin itself, but I’m not sure if there is a character limit on that.

Again, food for thought.

Your thoughts are definitely appreciated, and it sounds very doable. I was thinking about the fact that a webpage could be used, but am unsure how one would be able to determine what user is writing the message without requiring a user to create another account on a second site… hmmm.

Some things, like the tablet’s keyboard, does some minor injections on the webengine stuff so the VR keyboard can work. In theory, you could use it as a possible way of having say a simple javascript to send over some kind of information that way, but the only issue would be having something to validate who is who (since I think scripts can only really see the session IDs, which always changes). Also remember that the same webengine has its own cookies folder so you can also use that as well.