Letting out some steam: My Full Feedback on Current State of High Fidelity

There’s also the unofficial Discord server. People do talk somewhat on there.

I’ve not been given the relevant info about the Telegram channel, tho, even though I’ve seen it mentioned in passing occasionally, so I’m not on it. 0o

1 Like

The HiFi Telegram channel is pretty dead. The unofficial Discord is a lot busier. I have read through all the comments on this thread and I must say that a lot of long time users and supporters of the platform seem to be pretty upset and frustrated about communication with the company and not having their feature requests and bug reports being acted upon. What do people think is the ONE THING that Philip Rosedale and his team need to do to turn this situation around?

Also, why is there no official Discord server for High Fidelity?

Definitely been wondering the same thing in regards to an official discord server. As far as what HF can do, I think (and I am only representing myself in saying this) that two things would help significantly:

1. Focus on the community and make them and their feedback a real priority- half of the things @Dandellion and others have said are things that Hi-Fi can easily implement and that have been asked for some time, such as a proper communications channel, settling for real on an issue tracker and removing the ones that aren’t being used, and even Linux builds packaged with the Steam release instead of having to be built by users manually. The biggest common concern I’ve seen in this thread is that no matter what Phil or HiFi says, the vast majority of users are convinced that their feedback doesn’t influence the development of the app in any way shape or form- and that’s not conducive to keeping people invested, even people who’ve been using the app for years.

2. Embrace the open source model. Many others have talked about this more than I will, but High Fidelity feels open source in name and not much else- it’s one of the key advertised features on the site, and certainly HiFi is more open source than, say, VRChat or Sansar- but it doesn’t carry home many of the key benefits of open sourcing, many of which could really help bolster the development of this app, and allow the community to influence the development not just in feedback, but also in practice.

Just my two cents, but I think seriously special effort needs to be taken to assure users they do matter or they could very well jump onto another, more open-sourced or decentralized social VR bus when it comes rolling around the corner. (Or I guess Hi-Fi isn’t really considering itself a social VR app anymore?)

1 Like

There is now a proper community owned and operated discord server.

You are invited to join the Federated Hifi Users Discord!

https://discord.gg/pVrfqE

8 Likes

That discord link is invalid.

1 Like

Discord sucks in many ways. You found one.

2 Likes

I left HiFi because they don’t care about creators. We are just an annoyance to them. At worst we are their competition. I like how when someone creates a way to make money in HiFi, and Philip turns around and does it himself a week later.

Remember that time Second Life was in Newsweek and like 3 million people joined it all at once and money flowed through like hoover dam? Remember what that article was about? It was about how Ansche Chung made money in Second Life. The fact that people were there doing something and making money turned Second Life into something huge. Creators and content flowed in. Curiosity seekers (who like to spend money) flowed in and stayed.

Like it or not content creators coming to HiFi to make money is what is going to bring in the people (I have been saying this here for years). Without people like us there will never be people because people want something to do. People want content. The main failure I saw with HiFi is their unwillingness to work with content creators, and instead treat them as enemies or annoyances. I don’t know if that has changed since I went away or not but judging from what I have read in this thread so far it hasn’t. HiFi should treat content creators as important clients, because that is what they are.

I laughed at the new HiFi site when the first thing it said was “Build with 1023 people in VR… join a hundred people…”

Well it didn’t have to be that way. I would rather see that say 10,230,000 people.

3 Likes

The number might as well be randomly generated each day.

And to summarize, no, it hasn’t changed. In fact, what I found odd was that the discussion on why the market was stale came up a good few times and the complexity of buying HFC was a primary topic. Honestly, after looking at the money loop, HFC is virtually worthless, even if you can cash out to USD. It is a natural barrier to entry for creators who want to participate in the market since it requires you were around at least before TheSpot was shut down.

Let’s look at a basic customer loop:

Customer want hat.

• To get the hat, the customer needs HFC.
  • To buy HFC, the customer needs ETH (Ethereum).
  • To get Ethereum, the customer needs to get an Ether wallet setup for ETH.
  • Once you have a wallet, the customer needs to find an exchange.
  • Customer then needs to buy ETH from the exchange with your currency, which is tricky as you can’t use a credit card and/or require additional validation (Photo ID, validation of address, etc).
  • Customer then schedules an appointment during available hours on the weekdays (assuming you don’t work 9-5 on the weekdays like most people, in which, you are screwed)
  • Customer visits the bank during your appointed time and scan a QR code (meaning you will need a smartphone and the wallet set up on that).
  • Finally, the customer has HFC.
  • Customer has hat.

But here’s the great part: as far as I’m aware, you can’t take HFC and turn it back to ETH directly like you did to acquire HFC in the first place. The only way to cash out is USD according to the wiki. So if you are someone who wants to be a full-blown cryptocurrency user, you can’t.

The other issue is this entire process involves a lot of waiting, time that a customer will most likely give up. On top of that, considering recent damages done to some popular exchanges like Binance, this isn’t going to instill customers to feel safe throughout the process.

And because it’s popular, let’s look at Second Life.

Customer want hat.

• To get the hat, the customer needs L$.
  • Customer gives money. Customer gets L$ (in the same step).
  • Customer has hat.

Gee, what a difference, huh? It’s like they want you to buy stuff there. It’s like they want commerce.

On top of all that, the only people interested in High Fidelity requires them to be interested in very niche things. Are you interested in blockchain based technology? Are you also interested in virtual worlds? Do you have an interest in virtual social environments? Answering yes to all of these isn’t a common thing.

This is on top of the fact that communication is ironically High Fidelity’s weak point, and this has made it difficult for creators to communicate their issues and concerns. As I’ve argued in the past, they want to keep doing things that may sound interesting on paper, but fails in execution, and be too stubborn to back off until too many have left. Do I need to remind you what was the fate and result of loading screens?

I left more than a month ago to take a break before I came back to another project. My return was met with people arguing over symantics rather than focussing on creation oppertunities and trying to stabalize the worlds themselves. Not only has High Fidelity lost their vision, so has the community. I have decided to just extend my leave to indefninite to see if the fires go out, but I doubt they ever will. After cashing out everything, and making the discovery of how difficult it is to even just buy HFC, I also see why the market will never succeed until the process is simplified and given a good reason to participate.

3 Likes

So my predictions came true then. I also tried to tell them they needed an actual decentralized token but I guess Philip didn’t have the confidence to do that and opted for a centralized shitcoin. They didn’t have to use blockchain for that because it is basically the same thing as lindens (centralized shitcoin that Philip can print an endless supply of so it is really not worth anything to people who know what actual currency is [which is most people who have any actual cypto]).

Anyway, a solution would be to use Steam Wallet transactions. “Buy 20k shitcoins for $1.00 with your Steam Wallet”. I don’t know why they don’t just sell it themselves via Paypal since it is centralized anyway. Like I said before there is no legit crypto exchange on earth that will trade in a centralized coin unless it’s backed with real money like Tether, but a lot of legit exchanges are afraid of Tether too. The WHOLE POINT of cryptocurrencies is to get away from CENTRALIZED money (ala USD).

My point exactly! Buying everything else in High Fidelity is done with Paypal (lists, placenames, etc) except the currency within it. In fact, High Fidelity could have saved themselves by not saying HFC was a cyrptocurrency (shocker, I know) and used the blockchain’s main selling point, proof of providence, with the benefit of HFC being that the transactions are also saved on the same system… though now that all wallets are single account based, this actually kinda backfires on the whole anonymous concept

On top of all that, they have the ability to refund, meaning they can adjust the transactions themselves anyway (I have heard cases of this happening on the marketplace). So if they can poke our balances… why not just let us put in a PayPal email address, whatcha buying/sellin, and and done! No stupid bank appointments, no having to attend the virtual world like a job interview (which, if you are cashing out HFC because your main video card died, you are f****d), none of that!

1 Like

Yeah really, why not just use USD for everything, they are anyway but in a roundabout way that is just a pain in the ass.

You quit your business idea because you got competition?

Do you seriously think anybody can compete with the guys who hold the source code?

not with that attitude you cant young man

They did shutdown all their public domains after noting that was pulling users from visiting other people’s domains. They did this under 24 hours after mentioning it and that left everyone, including themselves, that amount of time to spin up something and have a new welcome area put in place.

That being said, High Fidelity controls the market and the market is inaccessible to the general public. The ability to buy and sell is limited to the 19 or so people remaining on the platform. On top of that, documentation for most things involving the wallet has been next to non-existent, and it’s been so heavily ingrained into the client and server, removing HFC references would be a nightmare.

In that sense… yeah, kind of hard to compete with the ones who have the source code (and in this case, the ‘public’ ledger that no one but themselves can access).

I look at the FE essentials button thing and think here is a person who saw a opputunity and took it.They link out to different avatars scripts and what have you
This could very easily be a new market, currency domain hosting service

2 Likes

Backed by… what? I mean, with HFC, there is a company at least backing it (to whatever extent remains). If FE was to add their own market… what would help ensure delivery to customers? How would the system let sellers get paid, and doesn’t that remove the entire point of High Fidelity in general, which was to have things authenticated by the block chain?

I have been waiting 5 years for the platform to mature and it hasn’t. Sure, one could go the Gumroad method, which has done other platforms and artists well, but that doesn’t solve the uploading issue and storage (if we are trying to keep High Fidelity Inc out of the picture). “Oh, just grab an S3 and enter in all your credit card info. It’s no biggy! It’s not complicated!” Once again, asking the user to set up additional services… sigh

In other news, found another gaping security exploit. Have fun.

Well i tend to use paypal alot , but is anything preventing anyone who wants to use that or any or all of the cryptos?

@Flame you are letting High Fidelity occupy a LOT of real estate in your brain.