Lighting Question

When i roiginally uploaded this model (a while ago) everything looked good - then after an update the ugly shadow at upper half of model appeared. Anybody know what is causing this ? Originally this had a lighting zone - which now seems to have disappeared from List. If you look at the painting you can see the arc (Top Right) of where one of my lights illuminates so my lights are working but the top shadow grrr…

It sounds like the smooth shader kicking in. thats on by default for anything brought in. its more aggressive now that the lighting model has been updated and especially if you have shadows and ambient occlusion on

Have you tried to split the edges of every straight angle?

in blender this can be achived with the Split Edges modifier

no smooth shader used no AO either on original Blender I’m further puxzzled by the affect not being uniform eg. the outside of the model looks ok the bottom edges of wall are ok. But agree it does look like AO but where to switch off ? I cant find where to turn off Shadows and AO in Hifi menus

If you havent seen the settings you most likely will not have them on

The smooth shader is always active when you import the model into high fidelity, even if you have set the faces to be flat, because Its apart of the base pbr shader set. This is why it is important to split your straight edges, since the FBX doesnt contain Flat / smooth information.

Similar rules apply to Unity, but there is more control over the shader and the angle of polygons can be used to make things seem sharp. Better off just doing it in Blender by applying the Edge Split modifier

Corrected some sloppy modelling and applied Edge Split - now at least it is an even black shading !
The texture is there - it’s just very dark.
Lighting%20problem_512!

Check detail of Moulding (zigzag) at bottom of walls, the floor and the top surfaces of the model. You can see that top light is applied and the texture is displayed correctly but the verticals appear to receive no lighg
Skirting%20Detail_512

Is your material roughness set right? Too shiny will be dark…

It looks more like its metallic.

I suggest using the LUCI script to debug materials that are currently in use (available in default script)

the zig zag is part of the same wall as the area above it so both have the same specular shader setting
Here i have adjusted Diffuse & Specular shaders in Blender
Wall area on left hand side Diffuse 0.5 Spec 0.2
Wall area on righhand side Diffuest 1.0 Spec 0.02
BUT the Floor looks great ! @ Diffuse 0.5 Spec 0.1
Diffuse%20Walls_512

If you’re new or old and still can’t get it 100% for Hifi Materials in Blender, avoid the pain , jump straight to this:

Thanks to @Menithal there are some serious workflow essentials with the glorius plug in.

I really suggest using the LUCI script to debug any material stuff you can search it from the available scripts that come with the client.

Re the plugin: make sure to set the metal atleast once. ATM it doesn’t sync on load/ when you haven’t used it before, but it does after.

hmmm… this is stupidly diffficult
hmm_512

@ Menithal - looks like good work and its my incompetence
What do you mean Menithal by “set the metal at least once” ?

And in the Export Dialogue
Menithals%20Blender%20Export%20Dialogue_256

Do any of these need to be set ?
I watched your project Hermes Material Binding and your mouse moves too fast without commenatry but i notice you are exporting an .fbx my export only allows the fbx.hifi.jason as export which when brought in world is the edge outline green cube seen above

Material binding is just pressing and selecting the texture so it’s should be very straight forward (if you know what a albeido map is, normal map, a glossiness map etc) which is why it’s fairly quick and easy to miss. No need to look the texture specific binding settings as it’s most done for you. I’ll post a gif of the “setting metallic once” when I get home. But the gist is just to play around with the metallic slider and not leaving it untouched because it is not in sync until you touch it. (fixing it in a later build). Basically all it does is automate the same things what I’ve demonstrated in my actual “material binding tutorial video”)

Only the url or ATP has to be set. Basically it overrides the url path to the assets as relative json files are not supported (this is a high fidelity issue)

So if you set it forexample to the base url where you will upload your files, like domain.com/path/to/upload/folder all the assets will be picked up from there like in the demonstration video for stuff from the marketplace.

Instead you want to look at the scene export video which shows you how to export a scene that you are doing there. The material binding video was done before the scene export.

The json stuff is from a later video when I actually got the scene export done.

The plugin it self is a work in progress so as I get features done the videos will get outdated over time.
Actual tutorials will be comming out once I get to a feature complete as there will be changes comming to all still as I refine the plugin and try to make it easier to use.