Linux mint 17.2

Testing linux, but it looks like it’s game over for linux (again)
The always run far behind, tried to compile interface to test the space navigator.

But depenmdencies errors./ like qt5xml… and offcorse missing qt5.4 becaue mint only have 5.2 and linux is always so extreme slow in sending updates. if the ever do that for things like qt.

at the end cannot compile hifi on miny 17.2 and it’s the only linux version that’s comprmoiss between bad ubuntu unity and suse linux. that have sofar i remember more hardware problems. also some lib sound is missing , when i tried the ubuntu instructions. that’s missing the custom qt installation and use.

This way i never get friends :open_mouth: Not linux and not windows. :smile:

We have a couple of our engineers that exclusively use linux.

@chris I like it still, but not sure how to get high fidelity running on linux mint 17.2. But there are some problems i need to solve. and high fidelity is one of them now. Glew i could fix. But QT5.4 is other story.

Error before i checked the docs page and found that i have qt5.2 on mint 17.2

~/High Fidelity/hifi $ cmake ../hifi/
CMake Error at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake:26 (find_package):
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5XmlPatterns"
  with any of the following names:

Qt5XmlPatternsConfig.cmake
    qt5xmlpatterns-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5XmlPatterns" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "Qt5XmlPatterns_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "Qt5XmlPatterns" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
  has been installed.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake/macros/SetupHifiLibrary.cmake:29 (find_package)
  libraries/ui/CMakeLists.txt:4 (setup_hifi_library)

Ubuntu 15 has required versions of all packages currently in its repos. It’s a bit of a process to get all packages pulled in, but, if you have a modern system and use Nvidia’s binary driver it works well.

Except, i really dont like ubuntu. since the use unity it’s not a workable system anymore.
Still try to keep close to KDE 3.5 / gnome2. Need to checkl if ubuntu have kde as distribution. kubuntu gave other problems. Something with stability.

I can try kubuntu again…

Yes - it’s annoying, but, unless you basically want to build a distribution from scratch to support what you like + what HiFi needs the options are limited. Hopefully QT5.5 won’t become a require in short term or it’ll be back to doing it the hard way even on Ubuntu 15.

Back from my kubuntu trip. i hope you did not hear any yelling. :smile:
Nope, kubuntu and possiblke ubuntu are disaster. Kubuntu is already present me with the good old sound card problem. no audio input ! also the software center is not nice.

Think i have for now srathced all the options from the list, its windows or windows what’s left. In about a week i think i know most windows 10 problems. only thing is the updating.

It’s shame high fidelity need QT5.4, because mint looked good, is much faster then kubuntu. and most of my things worked. kubuntu not tested much because audio.

But still anooyed with some windows things. as example. it seems not to use the internet time to correct the 2 hours wronmg after coming back from linux.

any suggestions of flavours of linux to check out? (preferably something I don’t have to pull out a dictionary everytime someone talks about it…

I’ve some history with linux but it was YEARS ago (red hat linux was still good and free) I was also quite proficient at DOS (remember that one?) I kind of miss those days before they let Heiroglyphic systems screw all the control up!

So as long as it’s english (and not mega-geek) I can follow easily enough

here are the instructions for Ubuntu. https://alphas.highfidelity.io/t/linux-server-fix-how-to-install-hifi-server-on-ubuntu-linux/6857/18 I have walked through them myself and they are very straightforward.

The most likely to work out of box is Ubuntu 15.04, but, and it’s a huge one, you must install a LOT of supporting packages then compile Interface yourself. At the moment there is no package to lead you to a binary of Interface (or the server side stuff if needed). No matter the distribution it falls firmly into geek’s realm even with helper scripts.

Same for me foxx. i used linux more. but in my case hardware and some dependencies screw things always up.

Well, i better stay with windows am afraid.
Still wish i culd use linux. but the amount of distro’s that are good are very limited. Sofar there’s only onme that works. But not with hifi.

Mabye i need to try mint debian test, that’s rolling version. Or not, finding a linux diustribution with good hardware support and a good desktop is pretty difficult.