Live screencap of FBX JavaScript prototyping

@Judas asked the other day about how the live FBX modeling stuff looked in action, so I’ve recorded a recent in-world prototyping run:

All the meshes are being generated on-the-fly and at the vertex level using pure JavaScript.

To make the physics “just work” (ie: without any extra manual steps) I decided to process two meshes in parallel each time – the main FBX and then also an OBJ for its collision hull.

More performance testing is needed, but so far it only seems to take a few seconds to produce these kinds of primitives (and that includes the time to upload via scripting to ATP).

Currently I’m toying with the idea of integrating dat.GUI as a lightweight interface for tuning geometry, material and texture properties.

AMD brings affordable VR to everyone $199 - Nvidia offers A better Solution with the GTX 1070 for VR

Very cool work get it on worklist :slight_smile:

This sounds good and very intressting. and yes, follow judas suggestion !

This is really great stuff! Nice work!

The extruded text… does it collide like a box, like one convex hull around everything, as a collection of convex hulls (one about each letter), or something else?

At various times – all of the above.

For “phrases” I find myself abandoning model-specific hulls in favor of built-in box type (because fancy words in modern fonts – on flat surfaces – can be especially-stubborn physical objects to work with).

Otherwise, hulls aren’t given that much special treatment – letters remain as individual vertex/face groups and in effect accumulate into a single vertex cloud (for collisions effectively becoming one convex hull around everything).

With individual letters I like to use the truest compound shape, though within Interface that still becomes one convex hull behind-the-scenes (“Z” effectively behaves boxish, “O” cylindrical (without hole), etc.).

Something else I’ve considered (mostly for concave meshes) is describing metamodels using CSG – which in theory could help offer a compromise somewhere between using blunt convex hulls and heavier full-on triangles. Like in addition to OBJ or FBX, some kind of JSON for the compound URL that described primitive shapes (for feeding into btCompoundShape or btMultiSphereShape).

Great idea! Are there particular features or functions you think would be most interesting/useful to propose as some kind of phase one worklist item for this stuff?

Architectural components, fences railings
sectional roads, um straights cross roads t pieces
sit script
beer
Thinks your existing 3d text will also be useful

philip mentioned scripted trees and plants, could that be worked into it?
Oh the Genesis device from Star Trek 2 the Wrath of Kahn, is how I picture it but im prepared to let u start off simpler :slight_smile: