Microsoft C++ Redistributable

Hi.

Some new users are facing issue with the sandbox that doesn’t start (mainly on fresh windows 10 installation)
They need to figure by them-self that it needs to install the last Microsoft C++ Redistributable to have this working.

Maybe it would be good to add this information in the requirements. Or somewhere they will find that information.

Is this still not fixed. i faced the same problem. reported that. Lucky we now know.

Agree a simple quick message is easy fix until the have a new installer.

Just read the result of a survey about people doing business on SL

To the question: “Your opinion about the other platforms. ( as merchant )

Someone say:
“I have been to Sansar, the great downfall is the hardware vs speed/graphics, even on my main desktop which is a gaming one. I have been to High Fidelity, it was easier than Sansar to get a first feeling but I gave up creating content when I tried their building wiki, it’s too complicate, I couldn’t even access my sandbox! I’ve logged to Sinewave, building there requires Unreal (?), grr I almost have no time to learn more stuff right now. I plan to go back to Sansar when I have less events to deliver in SL and give it a go now with a new laptop I got. I saw Apple Fall announcing his store inside Sansar and I thought that’s absolutely amazing coming from one of the biggest H&G designers in SL.”

I can imagine that it won’t help to give it a try. Is that cause by the “Redistubutable”?

Another interesting comment but about another topic here:

“The other platforms fail to provide the same experience as SL so I don’t think that they can rely on people from SL to automatically go to the other plaforms. Additionally people won’t like the ‘isolated scene’ approach that Sansar and High Fidelity use. No people means no customers.”

If this could be addressed, it may keep SL and even VRChat behind…

Chat, IM, Groups. The ignore it because ‘VR’ but people need it ! including myself. Because it’s easy. Extreme usefull. And the only way to communicate between domains or experiences. Sansar have at least IM.

At many things sansar start to get ahead of high fidelity.

Chat is a thing, but not in a way most people expect. Not to discredit the current work on it, but the way chat works now is clunky at best. This is honestly why in designs I attempted, it never used the tablet as a full chat window because it forces uses to only one thing (as the tablet is unable to show/run multiple things at the same time). In the PR I made for the support app (the modified chat in Help), I added a blinking notification to help signal to both staff and users that interactions were happening. It was an attempt at a solution where it’s not easy to know if a new message has come in or not.

IMs are a bit tricky, but there has been many discussions on how to do this. Part of the problem is that unlike Sansar and Second Life, High Fidelity domains are NOT run by High Fidelity themselves. As a result, you have to come up with an agreed upon protocol that has to accept the fact that messages can be intercepted by a possible untrusted source. One solution was to have an ‘accepted server’ list where you and people you plan to IM agree on servers you are willing to use as a post office for IMs (making offline IMs also possible). You can have many and use this time to also create security keys for each person (done in the background, of course).

Another way was to use a mesh network of sorts with domain owners forming agreements between servers. This would help transmit the messages without a user needing to remotely connect to another server and allow servers to route the message to the appropriate party. This would ease setup on the users’ side (they just need to worry about forming secured IM keys with the people they intend to talk to) and help block out possible bad server hosts (ie: if someone decides to start a MiM situation, domain operators can cut off agreements with that server).

Groups are a thing in High Fidelity, but the management of it is lacking. In-world tools could be made (or honestly, just use the built-in web browser).

Also, to wrap things up, a really big thing is Sansar coming to Steam. That is honestly something to worry about, since they plan to allow users to buy S$ directly within Steam itself while still allowing cash out options. Tapping into additional payment methods may be a potential worry because let’s face it; Sansar, despite its flaws, has a working economy. High Fidelity may have its blockchain, HFC, and a marketplace, but from the very beginning, it soured the tastes of so many potential users by forcing users to a new standard. Even if Sansar was somehow using the same stuff, it was done without inconveniencing the user to learn something new.

A major thing about successful technology is when the working new tech does its magic without the user noticing it directly. Improvements to how close we can move transistors together? As long as the user doesn’t need to watch the electrical flow, all they need to care about is that Angry Birds loads faster on their phone. Showing, not telling, is sometimes the better route. It’s better to show users the power of a new tech, but tell developers about how it works for those who are curious about it. I don’t need to know about the blockchain tech that High Fidelity is building itself around. I just need to know I can buy a cappichino at the VR coffee shop and I’ll get my fix for the day.

EDIT: In regards to the original topic at hand with the MS C++ Redistributable, yeah they should be included. That’s what they’re there for.