Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Now Free For Individuals & Small Teams

This may be of interest to some folk here, especially those who have been updating their own clients. Microsoft have announced a new version of Visual Studio 2013, which they say is :

Visual Studio Community 2013 is a new, free and fully featured edition of Visual Studio, available today, with access to the full Visual Studio extensibility ecosystem and support for targeting any platform, from devices and desktop to web and cloud services .

So if you’ve been using Visual Studio 2013 express. it might be worth your while upgrading to community for a fully featured experience.

They are also going open source

Over the coming months, we will be open sourcing the full server-side .NET Core stack, from ASP.NET 5 down to the Core Runtime and Framework, and the open source .NET will be expanded to run on Linux and Mac OS X in addition to Windows.

Opening up Visual Studio and .NET to Every Developer, Any Application: .NET Server Core open source and cross platform, Visual Studio Community 2013 and preview of Visual Studio 2015 and .NET 2015

On the windows domain the visual studio installing thing takes forever, would be nice if it only tried to install when asked rather than starting checking if it needs to install then stopping, takes foreverrr

Now on an interesting note, I wonder how much that will benefit the OpenSimulator/OpenMV folks (like myself) who run services with written for .NET on Mono. With this going full open source on the server-side stack, it may benefit upgrades to Mono as a whole. I speak mostly out of speculation since I know enough C# to write very specific bots and am not a .NET guru.

I think as a whole, running ASP.NET on a Posix system without a kludge will be a blessing.