My comments about HIfi, something I have to say

First of all I’d like to acknowledge the great work that Phil Rosedale and his team have done with High Fidelity. It was second life then Opensim that got me excited about virtual reality and showed me what was possible.
But exploring this new world and coming from the perspective of a user/ creator I’m consistently scratching my head as to why the basics like arriving in world as 3rd person then walking seams out of reach to the team, especially when you have every game, not just SL or Opensim doing it - you arrive, you walk with arrow keys or mouse then you can go into first view.
I know I could walk when I downloaded the script, but when I tped in again today I couldn’t even see myself, let alone try out the new walking script All this just leads to frustration and a lack of enthusiasm, especially when you see the videos of all the new gizmos being released, as a user it makes me excited and I want to try them out, but when I arrive I can’t do that cause I’m stuck in space looking at weird shapes that are suppose to be buildings.
Personally I don’t care about all the new gizmos and videos, if you’re stuck in space and your viewer crashes 3 times what’s the point.
I just want to land in 3rd person and walk around admiring peoples creations, this way I get excited, tell ppl about HIFi, do posts in Google groups and make videos promoting this world.

I know it’s in Alpha and has a long way to go, but I feel I had to say something.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned to you in the other thread, you just arrived at time when there are some big instability issues with the viewer crashing more often than the norm. At the alpha state, to avoid frustration I advise to only use the app to test things which you want to test, prodding around, check out what someone wants to quickly show, and not per say use extensively.

So if the client continues having issues come back within a few work days, and it should, eventually be fixed. We were told last meeting last friday that they are trying to look into the issues this week. Just to avoid frustrations, just check back on every now and then, but stick around in the forums to do comments and maybe test stuff people post here if possible…

I know I could walk when I downloaded the script, but when I tped in again today I couldn’t even see myself, let alone try out the new walking script

Occasionally assets fail to load for one reason or another. It can also take quite a while to load some of the assets on some internet speeds (especially as some avatar models hit 20 mb). have you looked into statistics what the viewer?

can’t do that cause I’m stuck in space looking at weird shapes that are suppose to be buildings.

Where exactly is this happening in? do you have a screenshot of these? never seen that happen Just saw your other thread, yeah looks like a driver issue.

there are some basics that have to be introduced in the first place, which are not that well explained:

Generally there two developer types in the HiFi:

The main developers and then there are the third party developers.

The main developers are mostly working on the engine, infra, controls and, major client features. Unless they get a third party developer work on some of these as well. via worklist
Most of the gizmos, or “scripts” are made by Third party developers, however occasionally you a main developer working on them as well. Usually features suggested in worklist.

Due to the projects open source nature these lines are occasionally blurred quite hard.

As of the moment the main developers have been abit busy with the latest changes they made to work out the kinks in the engine. and as you may have seen, been distracted from the bugs in the forum software as well.

Dissapearing objects

One of things that keeps happening to everyone is that “everything disappears” after a while.
This is actually a side effect of a feature called LOD throttling. Basically your client will try to match a set FPS value in the settings file, by aggressively decreasing the LOD levels on the models in environment, starting from furthest and the smallest, and then downing to the largest and the closests, until the client meets the fps goal placed in the client.

As of the moment however, most content within high fidelity have only a highest LOD model: meaning as this aggressive throttling is done, the content simply dissapears. Avatars have cardboards, but entities do not.

Bear with us Hans.

As you say, it’s still Alpha and is being created and recreated around you.

I feel your pain, as I’m sure we all do - but it’s part of ironing out the creases.

From what you say, it is obvious you appreciate that alpha is not a place where you’re going to:

land in 3rd person and walk around admiring peoples creations

It’s a development environment where we are all lucky enough to see things happen as they happen.

I liken it to a building site - it’s being built, but you can’t see the fancy apartments and luxury around you yet - you can see the infrastructure that goes towards it.

@hans3000 - there are some places you can go to to see great builds and communities. Some of these is Earth by @Adrian and Music by @KevinMThomas - best way to find them is to check out the directory and jump to these places.

Have fun!