Nametags, how to hide it on my screen?

Pressing the alsrm bell now, so the can think about it.

Nametags:
I have no problem when others want to use it.
It’s a problem that users cannot disable it on there screen.
Nametags are really a killer to feel inworld.

Example: 50 avatars on dev-demo would use nametags. So because all the nametags you not see philip nymore on the stage. Besides it looks ugly !

So how can i turn it off on my screen ? I think right now. Not !
And not sure if it’s easy to implement.

Unless the developers know a trick to hide nametsgs that run client script side. I think high fidelity can better implement something by default that give users the option to show a nametag. That way it better controllable on domain or client side.

So people get extra options in settings below the screen name.

• Show my screen name to others.
  • Hide nametags from other users on my screen.

So far you not see much nametags. so if it’s really needed ?
But the dea that you cannot hide it on your screen is bad to. And mke a rule on your domain that say no nametsfs. uhmm. meh. it sounds a bit heavy action.

I judt hope that high fidelity can think about this problem. because there always people that go use it i think.

I think the main problem is that current name tag script that is in the marketplace is creating an entity that follows the user around instead of an overlay, unlike @ctrlaltdavid’s nametags script. So it is impossible to turn off:

Althought my questioning for @Triplelexx is why it isnt simply parented to the avatar, instead of constantly updating its position? Its kinda heavy atm.

It does raise a question that we need the ability to ignore entities.

I passed all these questions on to the team no comment yet totally ruins immersion This doesn’t need to be implemented like this just make it like ctrlaltdavid script don’t know why they didn’t do in the first place ?

Because the script is done not by Hifi, but by another one of us. Just saying. ( @Triplelexx is the author of the script, thus it is in the marketplace, not in the default scripts)

As far as I know it was directly asked from high fidelity to do it like that
https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/commit/be68f84100ed073266722f22b7df556f07060504

Color me wrong then it is an accepted script. Then Highfidelity definitely needs to rethink this one. Specifically this is the PR
https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/pull/9586

Hey all,
Yes, my work on the script was part of a Worklist job as per the description.
Regarding parenting to the avatar, that is how the script operates, it does use parenting to avatar to do the orientation updates rapidly while only updating other aspects every 5 seconds I think it was.

@Richardus.Raymaker I don’t really think it’s possible with this implementation to hide the tags.
I would point out though, this isn’t much different from someone wearing a nametag in any form.

The nametag here is using a text entity, there’s nothing stopping people from using this method to broadcast their name using scripting like this in general. Also if people want to use attachments, or put their name into textures.

Nevertheless the script was created as described via requirements.
I tried to address making the tag too long by calculating the name length to make them as short as possible.

In my opinion, although I do not know of a way to selectively show entities like this on the client, maybe it would be better if you could perform some interaction such as clicking on a user to show a text entity like this?

Maybe that would go some way to alleviating people’s feelings of intrusion and should be feasible to implement using non-client objects?

It seems like really what people are concerned about is the intrusion of objects in general, for recording purposes or otherwise.
Maybe this would be better addressed by flagging of content as “immersion safe”, for the purposes of screenshots, video recording, or clutter.

This would be better controlled at a low level maybe, using tags on things that can be displayed.

Indeed. Nametags, tablets, do-not-cross circles, identity circles, all these OOC items need some kind of low level property that is passed along to the interface client . Then, a setting can be added to interface to choose whether to render them.