Newbie question... Totally confused. How to build a textured panel

Hi, I tried to enter into this world in 2014 and found many difficulties so abandoned.

Now it seems that the platform is becoming mature, and I want to use it but found a lot of challenges in finding how to build even very simple things.

I tried yesterday to create a very simple panel with a texture on it. Even browsing this forum I was not able in completing this simple task. There are tutorials around but they are referring to very old HiFi versions or doing this in a quite complex way. I was able to have a panel, but no textures appeared inside. :frowning:

Question:
1\ can i do a new panel with a texture inside HiFi without using Blender or other 3d model software? If yes, how? Is there some documentation already present for doing this?

2\ If I have to use Blender, is there a documentation explaining how to build/export/import it ?

3\ How can i put a text inside a panel? I’ve seen that there is a “text” tool, but could not understand how it works.

BTW: when I exported to fbx some blogs and tutorials did say something like
7.4 Binary
Select ‘Mesh’ icon
Path Mode = Copy
Embed Textures - Check On
Embed - Check On

But I was not able to find the Embed Textures on my blender 2.77 2.78 program… Should I install a different addon to export .fbx?

Hi and welcome back.

1. No (not yet anyway) with the exception of procedural textures which are a whole science by themselves, regular “Entities” are just primitive shapes but you can change the color of the whole entity.

2. You do have to use some kind of 3d modeling tool, and yes Blender is the pick. Try to find a simple tutorial about applying a texture to a cube in Blender, and instead of a cube make a panel. Then export it as FBX with texture embeded, upload it to a host or import it to your ATP server of your sandbox. (You will have questions and we will have answers.)

3. Text panel: A different kind of Entity, see here for details https://readme.highfidelity.com/docs/text-entities

So there are lots of different types of entities including regular primitives(which can’t be textured), Models (which can be textured) and Text Entities which display text. Then there are lights, and particles other entities.

Exporting from Blender where you check Path Mode : Copy , put a check in the little box to the right of that, that will embed a copy of the texture with the fbx.

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the quick answer. If I’m successful in these simple task, I’d love to produce myself some tutorials.

I just tried your suggestions and was able to produce a panel with a texture from blender: but it appears very dark,

===> is there a particular trick to have it quite more brigth?
===> how can I change the texture now without reimporting an entire new fbx object?

Thanks for the trick of the small button on the right when exporting fbx I totally didn’t notice it.

===> I id the text panel, it seems cool. How can I force it to have newlines so that I can format decently the phrase? (\n is not working ).

BTW: I had a lot of problems launching hifi on windows it kept in making my windows 10 BSOD (crash everything with an error on the nvidia 970M driver.
So I used my macbookpro, but there are problems with mac as well, opengl version seems not enough, and lights are producing strange not good effects :frowning2:
It is still quite frustrating :frowning:

Theres a couple of ways to brighten things up.
The specular color is white at default, that causes “shine” which looks darker, set the spec color to white.
The diffuse intensity is set to 80% at default, best to set this to 100.

You cant change the texture of an uploaded object (yet) need to upload new one each time.

Text entities are quite primitive and have no formatting, they will respond to \n via script but not via text input for some reason. use 2 or 3 text entities to get the illusion of formatted paragraphs.

…and you remain strong…

We’re glad you’re here. Welcome to the club. :wink:

1. So the BSOD problem seemed to be due to Insider beta version of windows 10 (see this thread Hf client crashes on start, "system thread exception not handled"). I posted a comment on that thread.

2. It seems that I was able to change textures without reuploading the object, so this is very cool, and unexpected. See this image https://i.gyazo.com/0d36d6e749152a43a7b00828ef75d867.png

3. I was not able to understand how to change the specular inside the interface, can somebody give me more information on that?

The specular settings are done in Blender, at the materials panel before you export.

With the texture embedded into the object I dont see how you have managed to change the texture inworld, they tell us it cant be done. They tell us only embedded textures work with the APT.
Did the texture actually change inworld for you? This is new information for me.