Oculus Rift, Shipping Q1 2016 and More

looks like they will be releasing it later I’m afraid but that’s probably a good thing as they will be able to iron out the new headset before it gets released properly for the general public

quote > In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

quote > Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

Okay we have more news on the specs and how it works

On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output / HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Showing the oculus in a bit more detail in this video

Main announcement from today 11th of June

Shows how you disconnect the headphones from their headset

Comes with a Microsoft Xbox controller

This information down below is defunct now

Original information from
http://vrfocus.com/archives/16398/huge-oculus-rift-leak/

apparently images yesterday were old versions of the oculus so may differ from what we see on the 11th

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey took to the Oculus section of reddit shortly after the leak warning that, “This is an old placeholder concept image that we accidentally leaked. Everything in it is ancient, certainly nowhere close to final (as evidenced by the GPU specs and the game named ‘war’). Enjoy checking it out, at this point, but don’t expect everything to carry through to the [Step into the Rift event] on the 11th.”

From

DAMNIT FIRST POST! :smiley: j/k Glad you beat me to it.

I’m really on the fence at this point. HTC Vive looks like a strong contender and should be out this year. I look forward to seeing the spec and price comparison. Honestly though, whichever comes out first will probably get my money, lol.

:smile:

I just added a video from Nate Mitchell Discusses Oculus Rift CV1 - Disrupt New York 2015 So you can tell how much money it might be hehe

On that video Nate Mitchell says something along the line: “Rift is higher end, high fidelity experience.” High Fidelity mentioned! :wink:

makes a note, rift is coming next year :slight_smile:

ALLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOARD! The Hype Train is departing!!!

From a private email to captain.oculus@gmail.com:

“are you going to be purchasing the consumer version of the oculus rift?”

It took every bit of me not to reply with, I’m sorry, was that a legitimate question?

More news today about the specs and how it will run at the top

Oculus pause development of OS X and Linus support in favour of windows https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

“On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.”

Pure Gangsters :smiley:

Looks like a lot of people will be upgrading

New silcon tech coming next year, the new designs will allow for serious performance improvement thankfully as we’ve been on 20 odd nm for ages and they provide more bandwidth.

Not surprising but dang. Well the good news is the next gen of videocards should be coming out around that time anyways. I guess I’ll have to upgrade all the things next year.

More news on the oculus and the whole setup Including the computer
if you were starting from scratch they would expect it would cost $1,500 range

https://recode.net/2015/05/27/oculus-rift-total-package-price-around-1500/

There has been some information leaked before E3 New information at the top

Just to note for everyone else, its 1500 in total if dont have a to have a computer to run it too :slight_smile: from scrap.

FYI…