Platform support

What’s the best experience possible with interface at this moment?

When I build from source on OSX Mavericks, there are issues that I’m not sure are unique to me or reflect the true current state. For example, there are flashes of light – perhaps every two seconds or so – filling the horizon. My MacBook shoots up to full CPU, and the fans kick on full within half a minute or so. I have yet to see a 3D avatar… everybody is flat and low-res.

This is not a complaint! I’m excited to be an Alpha. I’m just trying to nail down my expectations, as I’d like to have the fullest experience possible. Further, I have Windows, Linux, and OSX available to me, and would prefer Windows, if possible, due to having a solid graphics card on that box.

Some questions/concerns:

1. The OSX build instructions seem incomplete (for me, at least). For example, IIRC I have to tap a ‘dupes’ repo in order to pick up zlib, and even then, I don’t believe it ends up building against it. Anyone have notes that should be incorporated into BUILD.md?
  2. What else do I need to include in my build for Hydra and Oculus support?
  3. Is there a downloadable Windows binary somewhere?
  4. Is there a Linux (any distro) build doc available somewhere?

Thanks for any help on this.

Hey brian!

I’m not 100% sure where our “best” experience is these days, but OS X seems like a good bet.

1. zlib should already be included with OS X, so you shouldn’t need to go out and grab it. Did cmake complain about not being able to find it during the build?

2. You need to get the sixense SDK and LibOVR SDK and drop them into the right place in the source so cmake can find them during build. The “right place” is in the appropriate subfolders in interface/external/.

3. No downloadable windows installer, although @leo is currently working on this.

4. There are limited instructions in the BUILD guide, but hop in our gitter if you get stuck somewhere.

There is a downloadable mac client that should let you skip the build process here, if you want to go that route.

Thanks, B.

You’re right… cmake does appear to find zlib, so that could probably be pulled from the homebrew instructions.

Note the large difference in experiences between the screenshots in https://alphas.highfidelity.io/t/next-alpha-meetup/110. Theories about things I can explore for that?

Thanks!

How old is your mac? That billboarding of Avatars is an reduction in detail in order to keep frame rates high on older hardware. We did have a bug that locked you at low detail once it got down there, so it’s possible that it worse performance than you should be getting, but otherwise that’s us doing our best to keep framerates high with that many people around.

It’s not too old, but probably not ideal. What do you guys use?

One thing I did notice when I was resetting this evening was:

bhart@bhart-mn1 Cellar (master) $ brew tap highfidelity/homebrew-formulas
Cloning into '/usr/local/Library/Taps/highfidelity-formulas'...
remote: Reusing existing pack: 43, done.
remote: Total 43 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (43/43), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Warning: Could not tap highfidelity/formulas/qca over Homebrew/homebrew/qca
Warning: Could not tap highfidelity/formulas/qt5 over Homebrew/homebrew/qt5
Warning: Could not tap highfidelity/formulas/qxmpp over Homebrew/homebrew/qxmpp
Tapped 3 formula

I feel like the ‘Could not tap’ messages (especially the qt5 one) are a cause for concern. I’m running brew install —HEAD highfidelity/formulas/qt5 at the moment to see if it makes any difference, but I’m not confident. I didn’t realize the interface automatically stepped down detail, so it’s probably just that.

That “could not tap” message is fine, as long as you say highfidelity/formulas/qt5. We should probably just name ours something else to solve that issue.

The machine isn’t particularly old, but the integrated graphics are probably why we’re stepping down so quickly on your machine. @Andrzej may be able to shed some more light.

Thanks again, @b. I’ll give building on Windows a shot but I might need some Scotch first.

I hear ya. Hopefully the BUILD guide helps, but come join us in gitter if you want any guidance for any of the steps.

As of the most recent version, the client will attempt to drop avatar detail until your frame rate is above 30. If it can’t do that, then all avatars will appear as billboards. We plan to add a setting soon that will let you change this in order to have avatars appear as models even at lower frame rates.

I notice the screen size has a huge impact on frame rate. At the resolution on my system of 2560x1440 I get low frame rates witch jump up to 20+ when I scale the interface to about half size and to 50+ when I scale it to a quarter size.

The native resolution of the macbook pro is even bigger then mine, about 2880 by 1800.

Maybe it is a good idea to make the graphic viewport smaller by moving the build, chat and other popup screen out of the viewport.