Please describe the current technology stack for installation

I am not entirely sure about what goes where, so here is my current situation.

At home I have only one Windows 10 PC, I use it exclusively to host my Virtualbox home network for Ubuntu MATE. I am too scared to install anything on this Windows workstation, its a 4-monitor setup with 4 Ubuntu VM, I cannot risk installing anything else on it. Otherwise I have a half dozen ProLiant 360s gen7 I use for all sort of stuff, but they only run Xenial or Bionic, with MAAS to slice VMs out of the pool, all without any GUI.
Question: Am I going to need a Windows workstation to use HF? I suspect the answer is yes, for the Interface

I managed to install domain-server and assignment-client as per Instructions on Github into a Virtualbox VM clone on the Windows host - but after restarting the VM domain-server would not start again. Installing the same on a VPS failed.

Later today or next week I am going to try again on the VPS, this time writing each step I take on a fresh Bionic install, with full logging. I am also going to get a cheap Windows 10 laptop to use for Interface. I purchased one of those Place names - what else I need to beg, borrow or buy?

To sum it up:

• Compiling domain-server and assignment-client COULD work in the home network via UDP, but it is best to run on a VPS on the internet via static IP - correct? You do NOT need DNS, https, DNSSEC - correct?
  • While domain-server and assignment-client DO need graphics libraries they do NOT need a display - correct? The should run fine in tmux or bg - correct?
  • What exactly is assignment-client - I assume it spans a new instance for each visitor, so both domain-server and assignment-client must always run on the VPS - correct?

So my understanding is, the full stack is compiling domain-server and assignment-client on the internet Bionic VPS with static IP. Then visiting http://ip-address:40100 in a browser and configure by pointing this address to my rented Place - which creates the Domain. Then installing Interface on a Windows 10 machine and visiting http://ip-address:40100 in a browser and start building up the Place?

Welcome. I am not techy, but please join the Discord and ask questions there.

Sorry, I never used Facebook, Snapchat, Google+, Myspace, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Thanks for the invite anyhow. I am going to figure this out somehow.

I’ll just answer directly:

If you build the server yourself, it does not add itself to start automatically upon restart. You can launch it again, but it’s best to move it to another folder, along with the resources folder.

Yes, the server components mostly use UDP, but will attempt to hole punch and become strict NAT unfriendly. This is not a good idea if you plan to run servers full time. You can now specify the min/max port numbers of the assignment client nodes, which will allow you to form proper port forwarding rules, thus avoiding the NAT issues.

Yes, both the domain-server and assignment-client do not need graphical interfaces. I’ve just thrown them into the background and forwarded all outputs to log files.

The assignment-client handles the varying assignments of a server. Things like Audio, Entity Management, Server side scripts, Avatar mixing, and so on are varying kinds of assignments. This is done so you can split up the work load (or assignments) with other servers but only need the same component.

1 Like

Thank you!

I am waiting for my new computer with the OpenGL 4.1 support for the
Interface, then I am probably going to run the Windows server until I
manage to install the Linux server on the internet.
I do not have time to hang out in forums, sorry, I much prefer emails
over anything else, thank you!

• Sandor