Preserving immersion without causing Nausea - test build to try

Hi All - If you get sick in VR, we’ve created a test PR build of a new way to prevent nausea, which uses the successful approach seen in Google Earth VR and others. We’ve tested it with success on a few people, and are ready for more feedback. You will see the effect immediately on driving with the stick, jumping, or smooth turning - you will be looking through a sort of ‘tunnel’, outside of which you will see the ‘ground’ of the room you are in. A direct link to the windows client-only test build is https://deployment.highfidelity.com/jobs/pr-build/label%3Dwindows/17372/HighFidelity-Beta-Interface-PR14836-80d1874.exe This version does not connect to the main grid yet, so you will have to visit the few test servers you will find up in the Go-to menu to try out the effect.

Try it out, and tell me what you think. Would you prefer this approach to teleporting from place to place? Also, try enabling ‘smooth turning’ (which is generally the most sickening thing), and see if the effect makes it possible for you to turn that way.

Also, there are sliders as show in the attached pic that will let you adjust how big the ‘tube’ is that you can look through, there are sliders for both X and Y so you can also adjust the circle to be an oval. I’d like to get a feel for how big you can make the tube without feeling sick, as well as how much more you need to shrink it while turning versus driving in a straight line.

The scientific theory here is that showing you the stable floor/horizon at the periphery of your vision keeps you from feeling nausea, because that is the part of your vision that your brain compares with your vestibular system (your inner ear) to decide if something is wrong. This technique should maximize immersion, while providing us with a general purpose solution to any sort of camera motion independent of your own. Meaning this will work with things like being picked up by someone else, flying, driving a car, riding on someone else’s shoulders, etc. See what you think and let me know.

I’m highly resistant to cyber sickness, but I’m curious, it’s very interesting to be able to several of these techniques conveniently in one program.

I ran the installer, go past windows untrusted source warning but no shortcut appeared on the desktop and I can’t find where it’s installed.

Trying to reinstall does nothing.

Do you have an HMD? It installs it into a directory that is in your program files with a High Fidelity - PR14836 or similar.

find the file interface.exe and launch it.

I just tried installing again.
The installation must have failed or it’s very messy.

I don’t see an extra executable under \program files\high fidelity, or a \beta or \PR sub directory.

I have to imagine the beta would put a shortcut called “beta client” on the desktop and the executable should be named differently than the normal build.

NVM I’ll argue with my PC again tomorrow, it’s almost 2 AM.

Ugh! I can’t beleive I’m saying this, but this was something I was meaning to work on for ages. I’m glad it’s finally been done, though. However, my inspiration wasn’t Google Earth. Rather, closer to the original source:

I have always found it so distracting. All the games I have played that have these settings I immediately have to figure out how to turn them off. Some games that arbitrarily decided that they are going to have all these safeguards to keep people from having motion sickness and not give people the ability to turn them off like anyland. I believe ended up not attracting very many users. As long as you make turning off this garbage as easy as possible. Like you made it’s for teleport.

Wait, yeah I just noticed there is no checkbox to turn that off.

That should really be there if ever implemented.

Alt space has this feature its a bit strange but works well

I think all new features must be locked locked on in beta mode
People hate everything new and its good for them to have their tiny minds opened up.
We can laugh at them as they rage quit again .

I can tell from other games that do the same trick. ‘I hate it’ always first thing you turn off, you lose to much view with the tunnel. In action games that’s a big no,no. It did feel a bit disorienting to.

Games where you cannot turn it of i would not play or use.

When vr is setup again still want to try it.

Virus scanner thst delete highfidelity.exe or some other file. It’s know to happen here. Especially with beta beta’s

Based on a small sample size we have determined that this percentage of the population wants it. Well I’ve talked to a lot of people in VR and most of the people I have talked to don’t want it. They were so afraid of making people sick that they turned off so many people. I think there is a certain percentage of the population that could benefits from this kind of Technology being implemented. But at this point the overwhelming evidence shows the majority of people don’t want it. Don’t forget that.

Simple. give people a choice to turn it ON.

Yep, we’ll add a single checkbox to turn if off/on. Right now you can move the sliders to zero and achieve the same thing. What I am really looking for here, though, are the impressions of people who actually do get nauseated… confirmation that it feels better.

I’m so glad you are not putting this on the back burner. It doesn’t matter how few people are affected by the problem; it’s just good policy to think of disability first, and if you’re thinking about education, it’s a problem that has to be solved. If one student can’t use the platform, a project can be totally blocked.

So… I can at least give an idea behind when I do actually use this:

Talos Principal.

Yep, a VR puzzle game is where I use it. No idea why. Serious Sam? Nope. Pavlov? Nope. Orbus? Nope.

I think part of it may be due to constantly moving and focusing in the other games, where as puzzle games require taking in everything to work towards a solution. If I am moving in all cases, I tend to need some aid with Talos Principal but don’t need it while dual gunning in Serious Sam VR (not the standing wave version).

Considering that High Fidelity has a lot of stop and go with observation, I think it may fall into the ‘puzzle’ category, though I don’t actually suffer from motion sickness except in extreme cases.

Hopefully this information gives more insight on my case.

I haven’t had a chance to try this in High Fidelity (power issues in my computer room), but I will note that Google Earth makes me nauseous and the tunnel view there has at best no effect, and really makes me more disorientated. I find that snap turning is a far more effective technique.

@FlameSoulis Did you try this build?