Q How democratic do you want highfidelity to be?

Having been here a couple weeks, I am getting a sense that the highfidelity people are so knowledgeable about everything you need to know to make highfidelity, that them trying to explain how to do stuff is akin to getting theoretical physicists to explain string theory to musicians.

I am really behind the democratization idea. I think I have a good sense of the design philosophy. The biggest shortfall for me is that, though I became fluent in LSL and wrote my own code in SL, I did not do much with the web architecture stuff. I am largely self-taught and learn everything via trying to figure out how to do something I want to do; right now I want to make furniture you can sit on. I am playing with Caitlin’s chair, and spend a lot of time grokking it. I recognize how like javascript LSL is, and also how unlike it is.

I am also a gamer who plays FPS and world of warcraft and others. My desire to create 3D worlds came out of early experience with American McGee’s Alice and Clive Barker’s Undying, both had me ga ga eyed and wanting to make things.

Most of my time now is grokking highfidelity rather than doing anything useful. There is a gigantic and steep learning curve.

If democratizing highfidelity includes people like me being able to use it to make 3d worlds, rather than only professional web developers, then I am certainly willing to give feedback that would help make it more accessible to people like me. I wonder if this sort of feedback is wanted - or if the target audience for highfidelity is web developers rather than gamers or say minecrafters.

I wonder, I guess, if I have stumbled into something that is really not meant for me at all. Just wondering if people can enlighten me about this.

Right now, everything within high fidelity is very very much in flux, Even if it has been multiple years in development. but that is the curse of open source software, its not yet user friendly, especially for budding content creators without prior GameDev experience, as it is a VR metaverse platform rather than a VR world. So it is definitely a thing that they are for now trying to attracts pros instead of the average user, or the average SLer for now.

Even after having been in High Fidelity for 2 years there are things I have to discover, rediscover and discover having changed.

This makes it hard to update any documentation, as there is no way to tell if something is already outdated. This puts anyone off from actually updating any documentation. Most of the most uptodate documentation must be dug up from the source code. This make it necessary to have an extremely thick skin to tolerate any odd behavior that one encounters when doing anything in here.

But that is also the reason why I am running a few threads that I can, with my limited time, keep up to date, and try to push for in order to make tools, or standards to make things easier. Unfortunately, there is only so much time in the world that one can set up aside from an RL job and a Gamer habit.

Specifically I’ve been keeping the following uptodate:

So yes, there is an attempt of making things more accessible: but it takes time to push for and there are not many trying to help with making things more accessible, because not everyone has the time.

Unfortunately there are also some features missing to fully the stuff I keep uptodate. Forexample, missing features such as bone scaling, or custom blendshape for avatar customization to become a thing, Missing features to allow for scripting library imports, etc.

Every feature that is presented would require someone to put time to implement, and due to their small core team constantly focusing on hard subjects (such as server-side architecture, networking, physics and rendering engine) its up to the community to do alot of the non-critical (for them) features into the client for free, making it more likely that no one has time for that: that is unless its a approved job from their worklist service, which makes that job worth someones time to implement. For the uninitiazed, worklist is the main method Hifi team pays out to contributors that is for approved projects. Its good in practise, but implementation needs work.

Why grok? You can ask people how things work.
Hit me up if you’d like to chat about the chair script, or other such things at Welcome etc.

I still have to grok in order to know what to ask : )

Thanks, Menithal. I take from what you say that there might be something that I can contribute to making highfidelity accessible to people without previous relevant experience. It seems like it should be possible to make it so people do not have to look under the hood.

I guess I want to know if this is something that is part of the plan for the highfidelity developers, for people to contribute in this way.